Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
[quote name='Pandigital website] This upgrade will allow specific models (purchased at Costco) to connect to the Internet for access to the Google Picasa? website. You will then be able to view images you have uploaded to Picasa on your Pandigital Digital Photo Frame. (Requires Pandigital Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adapter' date=' sold separately on our website.) [/quote']Doesn't seem like it's really much of an update

·
Registered
133 Posts
[quote name='Pandigital website]This upgrade will allow specific models (purchased at Costco) to connect to the Internet for access to the Google Picasa™ website. You will then be able to view images you have uploaded to Picasa on your Pandigital Digital Photo Frame. (Requires Pandigital Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adapter' date=' sold separately on our website.)[/QUOTE']Doesn't make sense as the PDN has BUILT-IN wifi. Sounds like a picture frame...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GearsPoweredFool;20548 said:
Doesn't seem like it's really much of an update
I think you were looking at the changelog for the PAN811-B.Noticing so far:The icon for Adobe eBooks has been relabeledBoot time the sameThere is now a dictionary appThere is a CONTENTS icon on the reader interfaceThere's a field for SID under Technical Support InformationNo wireless right now, so I can't test that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
SpinControl;20550 said:
Doesn't make sense as the PDN has BUILT-IN wifi. Sounds like a picture frame...
that was likely copied from the wrong area:Firmware upgrade for PAN811-BDownloadThis upgrade will allow specific models (purchased at Costco) to connect to the Internet for access to the Google Picasa™ website. You will then be able to view images you have uploaded to Picasa on your Pandigital Digital Photo Frame. (Requires Pandigital Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adapter, sold separately on our website.)1.8 Inch Frames - User Guide (v2.0)I don't see a summary of the 07_18 update...but I'm downloading too!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stupid question, as I feel like I should know this, but does updating the firmware do a factory reset of the device so I would have to re-install all my precious hacks/apps/etc.?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote name='BiPolarBear;20561]Stupid question' date=' as I feel like I should know this, but does updating the firmware do a factory reset of the device so I would have to re-install all my precious hacks/apps/etc.?[/QUOTE'] Definitely. While it's nice to have a volume control, I'm missing the back key already...:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
cpg716;20562 said:
Trying to Download.. taking a LOOOONG time..for just a 64MB file..
Same here...23 minutes remaining. If it does download successfully, I'll probably upload to my website and post an alternate link so others don't have to suffer!

·
Registered
147 Posts
[quote name='thedarkbackward;20565]Definitely. While it's nice to have a volume control' date=' I'm missing the back key already...:)[/QUOTE'] Well, unless the new firmware makes coffee, that may be a deal breaker for me. I've spent too much time getting it setup the way I want it and I'm relatively happy with the outcome so far! Still going to download a copy, just in case...

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Beat me to it. I've been trying for over an hour to UPLOAD it here as an attachment. I'm on my 4th try now. (it's slower trying to upload here than it was downloading from the PD site) I seem to get it uploaded but when I try to insert it into the post I get some kind of "you don't have permission" crap.Edit: when this last try ended I actually clicked the little red exclamation point and read the reason. My 69.07 MB upload exceeded the 97.7 KB size limit for "this type" of file upload. Sheeeeeesh. Anyway, thanks for uploading BPB. Like you, I don't know if I'll use this update (I like what I've got so far and I scared to death to mess with it) but it's nice to have it just in case.

·
Registered
425 Posts
[quote name='BiPolarBear;20631]Alternate link to firmware: [URL]http://files.rwbcs.net/android/novel%20firmware/S10_07_18K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip[/URL]Many people were complaining about the speed pulling from the Pandigital site' date=' so here is another option. Should be much faster.[/QUOTE'] Many thanks BiPolarBear. I am eternally grateful!! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the alternate download! So I just flashed it with this 10_07_18 firmware update. (I bought mine at BBB last Friday, and was running the 10_07_05 update.) My impressions, although I'll admit some of them could just be wishful thinking:
  • keyboard is more responsive and more accurate; I typed several urls with zero typos, a first on this thing
  • in 3 tests where I woke the PDN from sleep, it found the Wi-Fi network within 25-45 seconds (I feel like I need to test this a dozen more times to feel confident about it, however)
  • page swipes *might* be a little faster and smoother
One weird thing which may be unique to me:My personal library was empty, after the reflash. I don't recall erasing all the default books from it--I know I didn't delete the contents of any directories on the internal memory, at least. But maybe the PDN moved those titles over to the SD card during my weekend experiments and I deleted them by mistake? At any rate, the default freebie books are gone, and the free ePubs I downloaded from Feedbooks show up and open but they do not display as thumbnail images in my library, just boxes with text. On the other hand, the weird gray thumbnail-placeholders gumming up the empty slots on my shelves are now gone, so yay for that.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I think when you flash it clears the entire system memory... Has every time I did it, at least.

·
Registered
147 Posts
scurzuzu;20689]Thanks for the alternate download! So I just flashed it with this 10_07_18 firmware update. (I bought mine at BBB last Friday said:
[*]keyboard is more responsive and more accurate; I typed several urls with zero typos, a first on this thing[*]in 3 tests where I woke the PDN from sleep, it found the Wi-Fi network within 25-45 seconds (I feel like I need to test this a dozen more times to feel confident about it, however)[*]page swipes *might* be a little faster and smoother[/LIST]
Those first two points may make me consider going ahead and installing this update...the Wifi and the keyboard have been the biggest problems I've had with this thing. I'll just have to take detailed pics of my home screens and my list of installed apps so I can get it setup how I currently have it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
scurzuzu;20689]Thanks for the alternate download! So I just flashed it with this 10_07_18 firmware update. (I bought mine at BBB last Friday said:
[*]keyboard is more responsive and more accurate; I typed several urls with zero typos, a first on this thing[*]in 3 tests where I woke the PDN from sleep, it found the Wi-Fi network within 25-45 seconds (I feel like I need to test this a dozen more times to feel confident about it, however)[*]page swipes *might* be a little faster and smoother[/LIST]
Those first two points may make me consider going ahead and installing this update...the Wifi and the keyboard have been the biggest problems I've had with this thing. I'll just have to take detailed pics of my home screens and my list of installed apps so I can get it setup how I currently have it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can validate what scurzuzu is saying in regards to the wireless - it seems much less problematic now.There is still one MAJOR bug as far as I am concerned - booting up with an SD card inserted makes the internal microSD unavailable to the system. If you boot up without the SD card and THEN insert it, you're golden. I DID find, however, that if I boot into the PD interface without the SD card, then insert it, then go into Panda Home, that I can now see my internal microSD in non-PD applications like estrongs file manager.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Just updated the firmware. Some quick notes so far:- The firmware update WILL wipe the internal memory. Looks like all the Android apps I installed are gone, which I half-expected.- The Volume bottom hacks and Panda Home hack work, with this firmware. Whew!- I did some very quick tests with the WiFi, and so far no change. Confirmed working, then put it to sleep, turned it back on and my WAP wasn't showing up (a problem I had with the old firmware, as well).I haven't added my other applications, yet - hopefully they all work. We will see.EDIT: WiFi is definitely better after a full reset - WiFi connected in 20-30 seconds after the GUI came up. The old firmware always had the WiFi as disabled after a full reset, but not the case anymore. Still need to play around with sleep, however

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.