Android Tablets Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
KIV first.

Also interested to buy a china tablet with Exynos 5250.
Been hearing too many bad reviews (UI Lags, PDF read slow,..etc) for RK3188 so not too keen anymore to buy RK3188 until i saw a good firmware release.

This RK3188 chip is very potent but somehow their application/driver development sucks big time. So many months and rockchip engineer still cannot fix their RK3188 Reading PDF problems. I will use as E-BOOK reader so smooth PDF reading is a must have.

By right they must do a thorough check before they release this buggy *shiny chip.

I don't like Allwinner A31 as it use obsolete technology A7.
Samsung Exynos 4412 is a nice candidate as their pricing now is quite cheap.

So now waiting for cheap tablet with Exynos 5250, if price reasonable cheap then i buy. If expensive then might as well buy China tablet with Exynos 4412.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been disappointed in the reviews for most of the RK3188 tablets as well. I'm looking forward to the 5250 becoming more widely available.

however, I haven't given up on the 3188 tabs yets. Sounds like SDK 2.0 is coming soon for the RK3188 and its supposed to contains many improvements. Hopefully the tablet makers will come out with some much improved firmware that will give the 3188 the boost that it needs

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been disappointed in the reviews for most of the RK3188 tablets as well. I'm looking forward to the 5250 becoming more widely available.

however, I haven't given up on the 3188 tabs yets. Sounds like SDK 2.0 is coming soon for the RK3188 and its supposed to contains many improvements. Hopefully the tablet makers will come out with some much improved firmware that will give the 3188 the boost that it needs
It looks like the first SDK 2.0 for RK3188 is out. The Cube U30GT2 has an updated ROM that is available from the manufacturer. We shall see how much better the chipset is with the updates. I tried to read the translated forum linked in the U30GT2 post but I have no idea what the users are talking about other than "cool beans.".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Voyo A15 is the first exynos 5250 now on sale, Voyo A15 is the first exynos 5250 now on sale
Great size and great CPU and GPU, just need to know if the software is well developped for this SoC
For the moment is a great promise

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Exynos lovers

About 2 weeks ago I cancelled my freelander PD800HD order with Geekbuying. THey are full of crap with there eta dates.. original saying 05-31, now saying 07-31.

The whole time I have had a cube u9gtv (RK3188). I hated this tablet at first it was laggy as hell. (that was the only problem though, but its a big one for a retina tab).

As of a few days ago the first SDK2 rom came out. This tablet is now AWESOME. IT is super smooth fully project buttered android 4.2.2 (even in retina display 2048 x 1600 etc), everything works perfectly, ie bluetooth, wifi... the best androdi tab I have ever tested by a long shot.

It now has a SD mode ( 1200x1600) - but to be honest, the speed difference is not noticeable as HD now works so smooth.

Responsive wise it feels very close if not identical to IPAD 4 in graphics, browsing and most other tasks. All input lag and complaints from previous 4.1 roms gone.

The Massive draw card of this tablet is 10hrs of screen on time, with pretty much perfect firmware.

The only downside is 3D games... now its not exactly a slouch, but its obviously not going to keep up with exynos 5250.

In Heaven benchmark it gets 32.5fps average, which is not bad for a retina, but this is the shortcoming of the mali mp400.

For someone who is not really into 3D games (not on an android anyway), give me dirt 4 on a high end pc with Stereo 3D display different story), but I mainly use the tablet as a web browser,
(image viewer / media player and general business tool, and for that it rocks.

probably stay away if you are a mad gamer.. apart from that , IMO best tablet on the market in the price band.

FYI, If PD800HD or similar comes out with 8hrs screen on time or similar and good firmware, I'd probably make the switch.. but for now that's just a gamble..

I

·
FW Developer
710 Posts
Hi Exynos lovers

About 2 weeks ago I cancelled my freelander PD800HD order with Geekbuying. THey are full of crap with there eta dates.. original saying 05-31, now saying 07-31.

The whole time I have had a cube u9gtv (RK3188). I hated this tablet at first it was laggy as hell. (that was the only problem though, but its a big one for a retina tab).

As of a few days ago the first SDK2 rom came out. This tablet is now AWESOME. IT is super smooth fully project buttered android 4.2.2 (even in retina display 2048 x 1600 etc), everything works perfectly, ie bluetooth, wifi... the best androdi tab I have ever tested by a long shot.

It now has a SD mode ( 1200x1600) - but to be honest, the speed difference is not noticeable as HD now works so smooth.

Responsive wise it feels very close if not identical to IPAD 4 in graphics, browsing and most other tasks. All input lag and complaints from previous 4.1 roms gone.

The Massive draw card of this tablet is 10hrs of screen on time, with pretty much perfect firmware.

The only downside is 3D games... now its not exactly a slouch, but its obviously not going to keep up with exynos 5250.

In Heaven benchmark it gets 32.5fps average, which is not bad for a retina, but this is the shortcoming of the mali mp400.

For someone who is not really into 3D games (not on an android anyway), give me dirt 4 on a high end pc with Stereo 3D display different story), but I mainly use the tablet as a web browser,

probably stay away if you are a mad gamer.. apart from that , IMO best tablet on the market in the price band.

FYI, If PD800HD or similar comes out with 8hrs screen on time or similar and good firmware, I'd probably make the switch.. but for now that's just a gamble..

I
WTF? They've pushed back the date yet again? That's rubbish. I'm glad I did not preorder it as well.

Yeah, I agree with you as well. It seems that the Mali400 GPU is seriously underpowered, it doesn't even perform all that well at 1280x800 res.

The U9GT5... what is the standby drain like? I've found that Standby drain between different RK3188 devices vary greatly even though both devices report them as sleeping.

Do you mind downloading epic citadel and running it from high performance mode?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Exynos lovers

I
wow, this is great to hear. I've held off on the RK3188 tablets but this new SDK 2.0 update seems to be fixing almost all the previous issues.
Still interested in the PD800HD, but wow is it annoying how they keep moving back the ship date.

anyway, thanks for the update and I have put the RK3188 tablets back on the list!

·
FW Developer
710 Posts
wow, this is great to hear. I've held off on the RK3188 tablets but this new SDK 2.0 update seems to be fixing almost all the previous issues.
Still interested in the PD800HD, but wow is it annoying how they keep moving back the ship date.

anyway, thanks for the update and I have put the RK3188 tablets back on the list!
The RK3188 is by no means a good chip BUT... only if you're going to use it for 2D games like Angry Birds and the likes. For 3D games you'll be stuck to Temple Run etc..

If you want to run proper A-class Title 3D games you're going to have a bad time.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The RK3188 is by no means a good chip BUT... only if you're going to use it for 2D games like Angry Birds and the likes. For 3D games you'll be stuck to Temple Run etc..

If you want to run proper A-class Title 3D games you're going to have a bad time.
The RK3066 performed very well and uses the same GPU. I can run pretty much any "A-Class" 3D game on the market at 1280x800 Resolution on my Ployer Momo 12?

The RK3188 is a faster chip with a higher-clocked Mali-400. It improves on the RK3066.

Yes, if you get into FHD/Retina territory and are trying to run intense 3D games it does fall short (I am downloading SDK 2.0 firmware for the U30GT2 I have here though, 1920x1200 / RK3188 and will report back on if 3D gaming is improved) but your statement that you are stuck on Temple Run or Angry Birds is a bit preposterous.

On the Ployer Momo 12 (1280x800) I can quite easily run "Wild Blood" (unreal engine) AND N.O.V.A. 3 and HORN without issue. I am not sure how much more demanding of a title I can find at this point as THD games obviously only run on Tegra chips.

On the Cube U30GT2 (1920x1200) Wild Blood is playable but definitely laggy, agreed and NOVA 3 is unplayable. I will retest once I get the SDK 2.0 stuff installed though and I am hoping for better results.

Ultimately I agree that the Mali-400 lacks some punch but at the same time it is a bit ridiculous to say you are stuck on Angry Birds on a GPU that performs relatively close to a Tegra 3.

Kind Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
211 Posts
The RK3066 performed very well and uses the same GPU. I can run pretty much any "A-Class" 3D game on the market at 1280x800 Resolution on my Ployer Momo 12?

The RK3188 is a faster chip with a higher-clocked Mali-400. It improves on the RK3066.

Yes, if you get into FHD/Retina territory and are trying to run intense 3D games it does fall short (I am downloading SDK 2.0 firmware for the U30GT2 I have here though, 1920x1200 / RK3188 and will report back on if 3D gaming is improved) but your statement that you are stuck on Temple Run or Angry Birds is a bit preposterous.

On the Ployer Momo 12 (1280x800) I can quite easily run "Wild Blood" (unreal engine) AND N.O.V.A. 3 and HORN without issue. I am not sure how much more demanding of a title I can find at this point as THD games obviously only run on Tegra chips.

On the Cube U30GT2 (1920x1200) Wild Blood is playable but definitely laggy, agreed and NOVA 3 is unplayable. I will retest once I get the SDK 2.0 stuff installed though and I am hoping for better results.

Ultimately I agree that the Mali-400 lacks some punch but at the same time it is a bit ridiculous to say you are stuck on Angry Birds on a GPU that performs relatively close to a Tegra 3.

Kind Regards,

Roman
excellent! can't wait to hear your report on the SDK 2.0 improvements. I personally would be very happy with a good RK3188 tablet with 1920x1200 screen.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
SDK 2.0 makes a MASSIVE improvement in how Android runs. Everything is silky smooth now whereas before there was some chop. It also greatly improves (based on what little testing I have done so far) web browsing and pinch-to-zoom... massive difference... all-around everything just feels more snappy, which is great, because the UI definitely had a bit of chop and lag before and now it doesn't at all.

That is the good news...

Bad News - The NOOK Application still lags really badly in library view. No noticeable improvement in GPU performance for 3D gaming in the 2 games I have tried thus far. (Zen Pinball and Temple Run 2). Zen Pinball runs perfectly in "Standard" visual mode but still is a bit choppy in "enhanced" visual mode. Same as before. Temple Run 2 runs pretty smoothly at max graphics but there is still the occasional feeling of "chop".

Early Synopsis... if you want an RK3188 device and plan on gaming, my verdict is that you should get a PiPo M8 Pro. 1280x800 on a 9.4" screen looks pretty awesome and performance is spectacular all around. However, I would have said to simply avoid anything past 1280x800 more or less all-together on the RK3188 prior to SDK 2.0. I am a "smoothness-nazi" though. However, post SDK 2.0 all of your day-to-day stuff is excellent and the high-res screen is nice

Regards,

Roman

PS - If/When I get time I will give Wild Blood and NOVA 3 a go. I don't have high expectations though based on how things have gone thus far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Would RK3188 SDK 2.0 mean anything on a tablet with SD resolution, like Pipo M8 Pro (1280x800)? Thanks!

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Would RK3188 SDK 2.0 mean anything on a tablet with SD resolution, like Pipo M8 Pro (1280x800)? Thanks!

YES TOTALLY!

I am sure it would smooth out the interface even more and of course it is a big upgrade to Android 4.2.2. It would definitely be an upgrade if there is firmware available for your device that is built using it (that is the clencher).

Regards,

Roman

·
FW Developer
710 Posts

If you're not using the 3G version, try my MetaRom Series. Link's at my signature. V0002 is based on SDK2.0

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Roman & Lambstone. I don't have 3G but WiFi only ver of Pipo M8 Pro. I just got it and wanted to put Roman's FW. Then SDK 2.0 was not available. Should I put this idea on hold and install ROM you suggested, which takes into the account benefits of SDK 2.0?

I guess Lambstone answers Roman's Q: Is there a FW available for my device that's built using SDK 2.0? Obviously, MetaRom V0002 should he one of those? Any other ROMs I should take into the consideration? Thanks!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

·
FW Developer
710 Posts
Thanks Roman & Lambstone. I don't have 3G but WiFi only ver of Pipo M8 Pro. I just got it and wanted to put Roman's FW. Then SDK 2.0 was not available. Should I put this idea on hold and install ROM you suggested, which takes into the account benefits of SDK 2.0?

I guess Lambstone answers Roman's Q: Is there a FW available for my device that's built using SDK 2.0? Obviously, MetaRom V0002 should he one of those? Any other ROMs I should take into the consideration? Thanks!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2
At this point of time, I think only my rom is on SDK 2.0

·
Registered
34 Posts
At this point of time, I think only my rom is on SDK 2.0
May i ask you Lambstone what's the source of your firmware? Pipo has not yet released on their site a rom with SDK 2.0 (for the wi-fi only model), so the firmware that you used is a test version? I saw that there are quite a few firmwares on that site during the last days. Are they provided by Pipo for testing?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I will add my input.

Mali400 wasn't made to handle beyond 1280x800 for 3D gaming. Not powerful enough. Anyone into gaming should stick with 1280x800. Maybe go with 1920x1200 if tablet user will do at least 50% reading. Only go higher resolution if person is going to do 85%+ reading.

It reminds me back in the day when I would check GPU benchmarks for desktop video cards. They would test at 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x1200, etc. Could see how 3D performance would drop with the higher resolutions. Same thing here. Mali400 reached its limit at about 1280x800 for 3D gaming.

We need more powerful ARM chips to fully enjoy 3D retina gaming. =)

I updated the RK3188 SDK 2.0 thread with some additional information.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I have very little interest in an 11.6" tablet like the Voyo. Also, seems to have a lot of QA issues.

so is the "upcoming" Freelander PD800 HD Exynos 5250 the only other Exynos 5250 on the horizon?
and do you think we can expect that to be much better quality than the Voyo? I was pretty excited about this processor, but my excitement is dwindling...

does anyone still have the Freelander on pre-order?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts