Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've been trying to find help to my problems with wifi for a few days now but haven't had any luck - the problem is, when I try to iwlist ra0 scan, it tells me that "ra0 interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down".

And btw, the scanning isn't the only thing broken, I cannot connect to any networks at all.

Has anyone else had problems with this?

the wifi device is rt3070 i think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I've been trying to find help to my problems with wifi for a few days now but haven't had any luck - the problem is, when I try to iwlist ra0 scan, it tells me that "ra0 interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down".

And btw, the scanning isn't the only thing broken, I cannot connect to any networks at all.

Has anyone else had problems with this?

the wifi device is rt3070 i think.
i am assuming your using debian. i dnt know how much experience you have with linux but 'lsmod |grep rt' will list your drivers. also stating obvious try 'ifconfig ra0 up'. sometimes when moving from one network to another i need to use 'dhcpcd -n'. also maybe see if your os has rfkill installed. 'rfkill list' will tell you if the wireless is switched off with a hardware switch which will suck coz theres no physical switch

i have not loaded debian yet but i do have a ralink radio that autoloads the wrong driver on archlinux on pc. on my pc i had to blacklist the rt2870sta module to get it to work properly. i also had to do that to get it into monitor mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also having an issue getting wifi to work. lsusb lists the wifi device, but ifconfig outputs nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may be not a big help but my experience is that you just have to wait. I also had quit some problems starting the wifi but after following the steps below everything worked fine.

1) Be sure your WIFI is switched on (LED burning), if not your driver is not loaded correctly and I can't help you with that (I had this once and solved it by re-installing Linux)

2) After Linux has started, delete the password for the root user in the file /etc/shadow. This has nothing to do with the WIFI but will enable you to restore disk errors without re-installing Linux. Warning, do not change the password by using de passwd command, Linux will not boot after that.

3) Use the WIFI config on the desktop and reboot

4) After rebooting open the terminal and use iwconfig to check your wifi interface (don't change anything), don't panic if nothing is shown, no ESSID, nick name or what so ever (interface ra0),just wait. Start iwconfig again after 1 minute, if nothing is shown reboot and wait again, up till now this has alway worked for me. Make sure you are well in receiving range, try changing your WIFI channel to 1.

Tip

There is little room left on the original image for extra software. When you are using a SD card > 1 Mb,you can solve this following the next steps (maybe there is a better way but i don't now enough of Linux and this was the only way
I could come up with.

1 replace the matchbox desktop with icewm, the matchbox desktop won't start after this
2 Create a second partion on the card (use ext2, primary partition)
3 mount it as a tmp drive in /mnt/tmp (the device is probably mmcblk0p3.
4 copy the content of the /usr directory to /mnt/tmp using cp -rf (only the content, not the directory /usr itself
5 delete de content of the /usr directory using rm -r /usr, this will also remove /usr so create it again with mkdir /usr
6 remount the device used to create /mnt/tmp again as /usr, this must be done permantly by adding this device in the fstab file

I still have some problems with the realtime clock losing its settings after a reboot causing fsck to run almost every startup but otherwise it works fine. Be aware there is no battery check so your battery will runout without warning, causing disk errors and you are manauly required to startup fsck (thats why changing the password is important)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts