Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I understand correctly, Wits distribute their firmware updates as UBI images . I became curious, what's inside them, but encounter a problem unpack them.After a bit of googling I found that there is a way to create a virtual NAND flash and mount UBI image on it, but it's only under Linux system. I have plans to install Linux on my PC, but I'm not mentally prepared for it right now:) Is there a way to unpack this image under Windows? I feel like unpacking it and analysing it's content can be a first step to create custom ROMs or even forking Android development(oh, sweet dreams). There are projects for other, more popular devices, but may be somebody can lend a hand to A81/E users too?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont think it's possible under Windows, perhaps with Cygwin it might be. If you'd like i can send you the extracted content?About the custom rom, i'm going make a try now that i have the jit compiler and market working, maybe not enough to call it a custom rom but a start at least. What more features do think will be needed?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you'd like i can send you the extracted content
Thank you, that would be great!
What more features do think will be needed
Pre-installed file manager and RockPlayer, for example. I was a bit confused when flashed Android ROM first, it has nothing except browser, gallery and email client, it would be good to make more ready to work rom.
market working
If I remember correctly, Market requires GoogleApps installed as well, were you able to make them work too?

·
Registered
90 Posts
[quote name='Dalkor;27120]Thank you' date=' that would be great! [/QUOTE']I only got one hosting site and it's located here in Sweden so it will probably be really slow, anyway: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skogsturken/ubi.tar.gz[quote name='Dalkor;27120]Pre-installed file manager and RockPlayer' date=' for example. I was a bit confused when flashed Android ROM first, it has nothing except browser, gallery and email client, it would be good to make more ready to work rom.[/QUOTE']How about File manager, Rockplayer(it does not work that well but anyway.), Root, Gmail, Market, Maps and change to default launcher, ADW or LauncherPro? It could be a start anyway.[quote name='Dalkor;27120]If I remember correctly' date=' Market requires GoogleApps installed as well, were you able to make them work too?[/QUOTE'] Every thing except Youtube but the issue seems codec-related.Anyway just Found something interesting in init.rc
Code:
# No battery hardware present    setprop hw.nobattery true    setprop hw.nophone true# Disable powermanagement    setprop hw.nopm    true

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
make the UI look like RB, 5.1 ui, its much more user friendly with all controls "touch" no need to use crappy fault ridden buttons thats on the A81E and W1060

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only got one hosting site and it's located here in Sweden so it will probably be really slow, anyway: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skogsturken/ubi.tar.gz
Thanks, it was downloaded in 4 minutes, I consider it fast.
How about File manager, Rockplayer(it does not work that well but anyway.), Root, Gmail, Market, Maps and change to default launcher, ADW or LauncherPro? It could be a start anyway.
RockPlayer is not ideal, but It's the best we have now. About Launcher, I prefer ADW.[quote name='mingnon;27404]fult ridden buttons [/QUOTE]You don't like their position or you've encountered their strange behaviour' date=' like acting pressed, when they are not? If it's the second, I believe it's software problem too.P.S.Real developers of Android for our device, Project Rowboat [url']http://code.google.com/p/rowboat/[/url]

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Dalkor, the menu button (bottom left) doesnt appear to work, it never has. Also when holding the device the buttons being located on the bottom left make it awkward (for me) to use. Having used the RB 5.1 firmware for apad and having the buttons on the touchscreen make it simpler to use (i find) will attach a pic of the RB UI that shows this. I dont know if this is even possible to do with 2.1, and not sure if others would find it usefull.Would be intersting to see if others find the button location awkward or notIf you need someone to test anything (with my limited abilities) please let me know

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi! anyone here can unpacking ubi.img by use on base linux.What command use for unpack it? I tried to use mount -o...cramfs...follow the same way to unpacking system.img of Moonse E-7001 but it's not work and show error about wrong file system.I want to add my font(to support my language) into system/fonts path.It's very useful for many people that does not language support.Please help us thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
[quote name='Dalkor;29869]Well' date=' I'd installed Linux (I must say, installation became way easer then it was a decade ago, lol), have tried to mount an image as ubifs partition, but I've got the same "wrong file system" error, so I need a hint too.[/QUOTE']Working on a guide atm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.