Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found this post at FatWallet.com:http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1018334/?start=0The ad posted shows an Augen touch screen Android tablet is going to be onsale at Kmart for $150. No specs listed and the item is not listed anywhere on Augen's website. Very weird.UPDATE:Specs listed on Augen's Site:OS: Android 2.1800x480 color TFT touch panel screen (resistive)CPU: 800 Mhz (Telechips 8902)Ram: DDR2 256mbInternal Memory: 2GBExpansion Slots: SD/MMC card slot up to 16GBWi-Fi Connectivity with Full Web Browsing CapabilitySupports Ebook Formats: Text, PDF, E-PUB, HTMLSupports Media Formats: MP3, WMA, FLAC, AACSupports most popular E-Book formats

·
Registered
9 Posts
hmmm.... well this is interesting, the first "Chinese type tablet" with an android os to come to the big box stores in America. If this is a hit and sells amazingly well I might go as far as to call it that hated term "Ipad Killed" not for the power of the unit or specs, but for the simple fact that it is a cheap tablet available to the whole nation. What do all of you think?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm interested in checking out the Augen... so I'm likely off to do a raincheck or two this week at a couple of stores.The PDN, as hacked as mine is now, still doesn't 100%-pass the Wife Test (goofy wifi issues primarily), and I honestly doubt any of the cheaper Chinese/junk readers will, either. I think most people will find the experience lacking and frustrating, and it may ultimately give the entire product category--and perhaps even Android itself--a bad name, perhaps even bleeding over into Android phones. I'd love to be wrong. I'm worried I'm not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as that, I will use other hated terms, like "game-changer" or "status-killer" or something along those lines. My reason, because even if it sells close to what the iPad is selling in terms of quantity, It isn't gonna take any steam from Jobs and the momentum he has behind the iPad. It will however, put him on notice that he won't be able to sit back for a few years and coast on that momentum either (like he did with the iPhone).

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='RemyL75;23398]I wouldn't go as far as that' date=' I will use other hated terms, like "game-changer" or "status-killer" or something along those lines. My reason, because even if it sells close to what the iPad is selling in terms of quantity, It isn't gonna take any steam from Jobs and the momentum he has behind the iPad. It will however, put him on notice that he won't be able to sit back for a few years and coast on that momentum either (like he did with the iPhone).[/QUOTE']Apple ALWAYS coasts on momentum for too long...Anyways, Cortex or Telechips CPU guys? I'm guessing Telechips given the 720p support although I suppose that it's possible that it's still a cortex w/o any support chips...It's making me decide to wait and see when I was pretty gungho to go for a freedom A10(flatpad) beforehand for $275... and I completely missed this since I just generally chuck the kmart ads in the recycle box given that they usually don't have anything worth looking at...

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I am VERY interested in this thing. I want someone to get their hand son one so we can see. I had the Huawei S7 ordered but had to cancel it due to it getting pushed back. This thing looks almost as good as that at less then 1/2 the price. as soon as someone gets one let us know!

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
a little more info from over at fat wallet looks like it s going to running the same chipset as the new apadAnyone looking at one of those might wanna get this because at least you get a warranty from a real company with this device. You are now chatting with Mark (Live Support)Joe : HelloMark: Hi JoeMark: How may i help?Joe : I hope you guys aren't too busy with the Tablet coming out, but I had a couple of specification questions on the Gentouch78 if you can answer them.Joe : 1) can the tablet operate in both landscape and portrait mode ( does it have an accelerometer) or is there a way to switch orientationMark: G sensorMark: not accelerometerJoe : Alright thank you, and I see it's an 800 mhz processor, but would you have any more info on the exact model/brand?Mark: on the processor?Joe : Yes sirMark: or on the model of the device?Joe : Looking for the info on the processorJoe : and finally, what battery life have you guys been seeing with average use (also the mAh of the battery if you got it).Mark: ok let me check itJoe : Thanks a lot!Mark: stocks we're sent to Kmart's DC just todayMark: i don't know if Kmart will push the sale tomorrow or the end of this weekMark: here's the infoMark: CPU: Telechips 8902 CPUMark: 2100mAh batteryMark: 5 hours standby timeJoe : Awesome thanks a lot!...Thats standby? is there an active use time?Mark: video: 2-3 hoursMark: 5 hours is the standby

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got home with one of these, ran the cpu benchmark from the marketplace, 5942 ms 600mhz, hardware says Telechips

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Any info you could provide would be much appreciated - been trying to find this locally and no one has it, yet. My main question is whether or not it switches to portrait mode, as I would want it to have that for ebook or comic viewing. I'm also hearing that the buttons are on the back, as well as a stylus? And I assume no camera on it? Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
[quote name='droptopjim;23741]I just got home with one of these' date=' ran the cpu benchmark from the marketplace, 5942 ms 600mhz, hardware says Telechips[/QUOTE'] General overview/opinions/review would be awesome!Still trying to decide if I want this or the Novel.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.