Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have to say I really enjoy this device even though it's locked down with Pandigital's customized firmware, but considering you get a Samsung 600mhz ARM11 processor with DSP, 256MB of RAM, 1GB of storage, WiFi for a few dollars more than the Eken M001 (if you buy it on sale days...my tablet was $111 at Kohl's), it's a steal. I'll be out of town here for the next few days on a vacation, but I'm leaving my laptop at home and taking this baby with me to use on my trip. I'll be able to use it on the plane to watch movies, read, and listen to MP3s (I'm armed with about 84GB of SD storage), and then I'll be able to access the internet from the hotel room with it to keep up my social life. I can't wait until this thing is rooted though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few other people interested in the device have looked at pictures of the internals and the chip IDs match up with the 600mhz Samsung ARM11 CPU, and 256MB of RAM has also been identified on the mainboard. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it has the same performance as the SmartQ V5/V7 since the specs are essentially same...only difference being the Pandigital has 1GB of internal storage whereas the SmartQ devices have 2GB. Also the screen resolutions...almost forgot about that one (SmartQ V5/V7 is 800x480 and the Pandigital Novel is 800x600).

·
Registered
160 Posts
So far I like the device. It will be nice to install your own programs. It would also be nice if they let you chose to run the book reader interface or the vanilla android. Battery seems to be close to rated for my unit. Hopefully when they update android to 2.2 then the mod community will cook some roms for it. I have a feeling they'll stay away until then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hoping to get some feedback from others on the screen orientation.I turn the novel landscape in the reader and press the lock icon in the top bar, it then turns upside down landscape but with the power port up so it cant be put in its dock. any attempt to reconfigure the orientation results in the reader app malfunctioning and an error window advising force quit.besides the screen response issues this is my only current complaint, its annoying not to be able to adjust orientation during photo viewing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just update to the 6 -7 firmware that coldsun said was bad. That lock button is not longer there. Wierd. I've also been using it for 30 minutes on the firmware and had no wireless problems. Maybe that was just his device. I can't imagine them leaving that firmware up if it breaks wifi. After I updated I now have no idea how to turn the screen. But before on the 6 -5 version it rotated upside down for me like you mention.

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote name='bmurphr1;6739]A few other people interested in the device have looked at pictures of the internals and the chip IDs match up with the 600mhz Samsung ARM11 CPU' date=' and 256MB of RAM has also been identified on the mainboard. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it has the same performance as the SmartQ V5/V7 since the specs are essentially same...only difference being the Pandigital has 1GB of internal storage whereas the SmartQ devices have 2GB. Also the screen resolutions...almost forgot about that one (SmartQ V5/V7 is 800x480 and the Pandigital Novel is 800x600).[/QUOTE'] Would you mind posting some links so we can start to clearly define the specs of this thing? I've read a ton of differing opinions around the speed of the ARM11 CPU. I've seen 533, 600, 667, and Pandigital customer support actually told me it was 800mhz (I don't believe them). references to pics and discussions based on them would be helpful.I'd also like to know if the unit can charge via USB, the mah of the battery, and if the headphone jack seems to be the type that can take cell phone headphones with a mic (like the iPhone ones I use on my droid).Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Specs of the Novel on the FCC database: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...ame=N&application_id=933054&fcc_id='POTPRD07TCPU imprint code says: SAMSUNG S3C6410XH-53 1009 ARM N28TUTT ; no way to know for sure if it's 533, 600 or 667mhz since this CPU model is listed all over Google. It could be a 533mhz CPU for all we know so far, but one thing I do know is that the Meizu M8 cellphone (was released in China as an iPhone killer running Windows Mobile 6.5 themed like an iPhone) uses the same processor, and it's clocked at 667mhz - so it could also be 667. The minimum is going to be 533mhz though.The unit cannot charge via USB. Battery is lithium-ion 2800mAh (3.7v). The headphone jack only accepts stereo headphones, as far as I know headphones with microphones are not compatible.P.S. The NAND/storage chip on the product submitted to the FCC says KMAKG0000M-B998, which is a Samsung 2GB chip. Something must have changed between the device they tested for the FCC and the tablet I have in front of me.EDIT: Maybe the device does have 2GB of NAND storage for just the OS and Android files/programs and the 1GB of storage is what's used for storing all of your multimedia and books...I can't quite figure it out, because there's no way in hell I'm gonna open up my Novel completely, at least since it's so new.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My battery has a sticker that says 1600mah on the bottom. I get way better batterylife than that though. So maybe this is doubled? I can confirm that the internal sd card is not necessary to use the device. I took it out and it still booted and worked fine. So it does indeed look like there is onboard flash other than that.The back is held on by several slide locks that hold it in towards the front. These aren't clips. There is 1 clip that holds the back from sliding down directly in the middle at the top, below the pandigital logo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine just arrived and is still charging. I'm surprised at how heavy the thing is (compared to the e-ink readers I've seen).The specs on the FCC site refer to the black 2GB reader they're releasing in a couple months. The current white reader has 1GB.Auto-rotation is not supported in the current reader, but is expected to enabled in a future update. (i.e. the hardware is capable, but they have bugs they haven't fixed yet, and turned the feature off in the meantime.)There's a few more tidbits about what features they're likely planning to implement and which they really aren't, if you can read through the marketing-speak: http://www.techlicious.com/blog/pandigital-novel-a-color-ebook-reader-that-run-android-apps/(Scroll down just below the review to the "update" box with some answers from a Pandigital VP.)Now we just need to figure out how to root this thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts