Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is my new 1st post on this forum. So please go easy if I make any mistakes. My quest for a new Tablet began when I was travelling for work and onsite at a client location in a meeting. The client pulled out his Apple Ipad and started showing off everything on it. I was impressed but I don't currently own anything from Apple and I want to see if I can stay away from it. I am not a Apple hater, but just want to avoid the main stream. I love Linux and have been an advocate of pushing Open Source at my work. I work as an IT Architect for a global company in the enterprise management division. I am based in Dallas, TX, US.I have a HTC Tilt 2 on which I have loaded Android boot image using the SD card. I use the M$ Windows Mobile 6.5.3 as the main OS but try to stay current on Android. I also love updating the ROM's from different cooks on XDA-Developers. 1st I went to the Apple Store Online and looked at the prices of Apple Ipad. They just seemed a bit more than I want to spend for a novelty (until I figure out some legitimate use for it
).I came across this site in Google searches for Linux / Android / Google Chrome OS tablets. I spend a couple of days reading about different tablets. I liked what I read about Elissa Gu on AliExpress and decided to place the order with her. Wholesale-Android 2.1 MID/ android 2.1 tablet PC , 10.2",1GHZ ,I used the link from one of the posts and placed the order.Anyway, I will keep updating this thread as I get future notifications. I am hoping this will help some other folks like me who are on the fence, get additional clarity on the order fulfillment process. If others can do the same, we might be able to get better service from some of these vendors. Did chat with Elissa on 08/24/2010 and she has sent me a case and PC Stylus for the tablet as free gifts. So far I am impressed with this vendor and her quick shipping/great communications.Timeline:08/18/2010 2:13 PM CST - Placed Order08/18/2010 2:16PM CST - Received Notification that PayPal had processed my payment to the seller.08/22/2010 11:25AM CST - Received email notification that the order has been fulfilled and shipped. I went online but the tracking link takes a couple of days before showing. 08/26/2010 08:49AM - Based on the tracking link for EMS, the package has cleared US customs. I have to travel for work on Monday so was hoping this will be in my hand tomorrow or day after. Not sure if this will be delivered by USPS. 08/27/2010 10:45AM CST- Received the package. All is as promised. Postman came to the door for a signature. 09/04/2010 3:56PM CST - Sitting at home with a Tablet on which the touchscreen not wifi does not work. This is bad. I have a post with touchscreen issues in this same forum. I have been in contact with Elissa Gu but so far all I have is assurance that this will be fixed. Nothing concrete to let me know how. I hope this does not drag too long that I cannot dispute the claim with Paypal and Amex (used my Amex to fund paypal).09/26/2010 8:14 AM - Still no refund from Elissa Gu. It has been over 15 dfays since i shipped the tablet back. Scanned and emailed her the receipt of the shipping label. Not sure what to do at this time. I am going to have to take this issue up with Paypal. 10/08/2010 12:04 AM - Still no refund from Elissa Gu. It has been ages since I mailed back the tablet. No help from Aliexpress or Paypal. Have complaints open with both. What a shame. Regards,Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was enthusiastic when I just ordered my ZT-180. I was a little disappointed when I received it. The screen isn't really "that" responsive as a lot of people claim it to be. The android OS running on this device is kind of Beta still. So there are a lot of bugs in there still. Apps crashing frequently. It's a little embarrassing showing this device to someone who owns the iPad. Sorry Zenithink owners =/Of course I shouldn't be complaining, i mean. It is hell a lot cheaper.Anyway, when I bought this device, they were talking about an A8 processor and that is it the Apple iPad killer... Well, it is in some ways. It has a USB ports, SD Card reader, Ethernet port but that is probably the only better thing comparing to the Apple iPad. But as you probably know by now, it is not... Will flash ever be supported on this device? Don't think so.I thought I was going to use this device a lot, it ended up to be my "Anime Tablet". I just use it to watch Anime on it now.E-mail clients that I have tried are buggy, so can't really use it for that either and browsing is really slow. The players on android dont support the .ass subtitles that are merged into the MKV file. And the website you posted says that this device supports 1080P files. Well, it does.. But laggs a lot...I hope you're not too disappointed now, could be that I received one of the "bad" ones. Don't really care anymore. Hopefully you have better experience with it, and maybe even like it.Kind regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tosko, Thanks for your reply. It is always good to hear constructive criticism from owners of this type of tablet. Your review certainly does make me want to lower my expectations on what this device can do. This is good to know beforehand. I do love to tweak gadgets and play with them. I love to keep putting on new ROMs on my HTC Tilt phone, I have hacked pretty much all the gaming devices in my home and I dont even play video games. My kids hate it becase half the time, their game consoles are being worked on by me
. I would rather do all this tweaking and playing around with a tablet that costs me couple of hundred bucks than with a five hundred dollar Ipad.Thanks again.... Hope you keep tweaking and upgrading your tablet and maybe it will get better with new ROM versions. Regards,Dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi dtembe, You will find Elissa very helpful, Different Hemisphere but To Australia from notification of Tracking number is 5-7 Days.We have not received a bad one yet ie; the all apparent Touch-Screen issue in 30+ Tablets.Have Fun!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
My experience is similar. The device has good potential, but overall it is lacking polish before showing it off. Lots of FCs, and plenty of wifi issues. Hoping these issues improve with ROM updates, till then I can play with adb and my soldering iron to see what I can do. My aPad has more polish, but this device looks very promising.

·
Registered
383 Posts
[quote name='juched;42718]My experience is similar. The device has good potential' date=' but overall it is lacking polish before showing it off. Lots of FCs, and plenty of wifi issues. Hoping these issues improve with ROM updates, till then I can play with adb and my soldering iron to see what I can do. My aPad has more polish, but this device looks very promising.[/QUOTE'] Have you flashed the 0818 firmware and added autokiller set to 'Strict 60/70/80' ??? Since doing that, even without a number of the tweaks I applied to earlier versions, the 2 tablets I have used for testing boot fast, are stable, and haven't locked up once!!! A big Improvement over earlier versions...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Folks, Thanks for these great responses.Juched,Thanks for your insight. I cannot wait to get my hands on this device. Wwilde, I was reading some of your olders posts and made the decision to use Eilssa Gu as a vendor to purchase the Tablet. So kudos to you for recommending her. So far everything seems to be going smooth. I saw that she has added a PC type stylus (?) and a Leather cover as a gift in the order. Jtbnet,I have read some of your past posts and I am sure I will be applying your tweaks & scripts. Regards to all,Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
[quote name='dtembe;42622]Tosko' date=' Thanks for your reply. It is always good to hear constructive criticism from owners of this type of tablet. Your review certainly does make me want to lower my expectations on what this device can do. This is good to know beforehand. I do love to tweak gadgets and play with them. I love to keep putting on new ROMs on my HTC Tilt phone, I have hacked pretty much all the gaming devices in my home and I dont even play video games. My kids hate it becase half the time, their game consoles are being worked on by me [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG]. I would rather do all this tweaking and playing around with a tablet that costs me couple of hundred bucks than with a five hundred dollar Ipad.Thanks again.... Hope you keep tweaking and upgrading your tablet and maybe it will get better with new ROM versions. Regards,Dan[/QUOTE'] That's good to know that you like to tweak. Maybe we can learn from you. Good luck with your device

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hows it moving along? getting exited?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updated timeline in the 1st post. Per Elissa, she has added a cover or sleeve and a PC Stylus as a free gift. The package has cleared customs in the US. Woo...whooo... Excited.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JUST GOT IT.. My mailman came to the door to hand me the package. This is awesome. It took forever to open the box... everything promised is inside. Brand new tablet. Stylus. Leather Sleeve. Charger. Dongle. Sorry guys.. gotta go now.. and play with my new toy. No more posts until I am able to post from the Tablet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
dtembe;45754 said:
JUST GOT IT.. My mailman came to the door to hand me the package. This is awesome. It took forever to open the box... everything promised is inside. Brand new tablet. Stylus. Leather Sleeve. Charger. Dongle. Sorry guys.. gotta go now.. and play with my new toy. No more posts until I am able to post from the Tablet.
Have fun

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Fun so far:-And my saga continues....I am still waiting on a replacement or something concrete from Elissa Gu as far as taking care of this. All I have so far is a bunch of assurances from her but nothing concrete that assures me she is going to really fix the problem with the tablet. Recap - I received a bad tablet from Elissa Gu. It came with a nonworking touch screen and non working wifi. Purchase with caution from her at this time. I understand that there are going to be problems with bad hardware etc.. but these issues should be taken care of quickly. I will post once she resolves my issue and update the timeline in my post. Unfortunately, I had a friend place an order from her a day before I received my tablet. I hope he does not get a dud like mine too. Still not sure how an engineer is going to get a hold of me and walk me through fixing this issue over the phone. So far I have not filed a claim against Elissa with Paypal for a refund but by this time next week if the issue is not resolved I am filing a claim for refund.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dan,Just FYI. Most forums don't approve of double posting. You should use the edit button if you want to add information to your previous post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has been over 15 days since I shipped back the non working tablet. No refund so far. Aliexpress is no help in this process. Elissa Gu keeps emailing me letting me know she hasnt received the tablet yet. I am not sure at this late in the game I trust any of these clowns. All I can say is buyer beware.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am at a loss. Elissa Gu claims she has not received the package after over 3 weeks of waiting. I enquired with USPS. After I raised a stink about it, they took down the information from the original postal receipt and called me 2 days later to say the package should have already been delivered on 10/4, but there is no tracking number since I mailed it First Class Mail. Is there any option available to me to recover my money? Has anyone tried suing one of these vendors in a local small claims court? I doubt Aliexpress or Paypal will do anything, but I have dispute open with them both. I hope something comes about of all this. Well a lesson learned for me, do not trust vendors on Aliexpress!!!! If their product works good then you are ok, but if there is an issue, then they are of no help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
[quote name='dtembe;72992]I am at a loss. Elissa Gu claims she has not received the package after over 3 weeks of waiting. I enquired with USPS. After I raised a stink about it' date=' they took down the information from the original postal receipt and called me 2 days later to say the package should have already been delivered on 10/4, but there is no tracking number since I mailed it First Class Mail. Is there any option available to me to recover my money? Has anyone tried suing one of these vendors in a local small claims court? I doubt Aliexpress or Paypal will do anything, but I have dispute open with them both. I hope something comes about of all this. Well a lesson learned for me, do not trust vendors on Aliexpress!!!! If their product works good then you are ok, but if there is an issue, then they are of no help.[/QUOTE'] My experience with the USPS is that if they say it got delivered and you never got it, it's lost and you are out your money. They are worthless, even if you have their tracking number it will not help...... There is no one I found you can go to who will help........:mad: I wish you luck.

·
Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter
6,629 Posts
[quote name='teslabe;73005]My experience with the USPS is that if they say it got delivered and you never got it' date=' it's lost and you are out your money.[/QUOTE'] Yes, same here with USPS and Ebay shipment's "supposedly" received.

·
Registered
439 Posts
[quote name='omarahum;73006]Yes' date=' same here with USPS and Ebay shipment's "supposedly" received.[/QUOTE'] That's why I prefer registered mail, then you have the name of the person who signed for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.