Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wrote myself a short guide on my firmware mods(0607). Thought it might be helpful to put it up here.

Also works for 0622.

Also works for Haipad's factory firmware 0728 and 0831. But for points 2 & 3; make the changes to the file, init.smdkv210.rc, that resides in the customer folder. No need to modify the compressed init.smdkv210.rc file inside the tgz file

------------
Applied to Haipad's firmware 0607
Filename: M7_android2.3_06_07.rar
SHA1: 377C1B3708A505974E5590F35D27AB7654C42702

Unrar the file and apply customization directly to UTV210_root.tgz file

1. Remove su file to make it rootable by Gingerbreak 1.2.
path\file = utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\system\busybox\bin\su
Delete su

2. Change default LCD density from 200 to 177
path\file = utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\init.smdkv210.rc
Old text = setprop ro.sf.lcd_density 200
Replaced = setprop ro.sf.lcd_density 177

3. Add VPN settings
path\file = utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\init.smdkv210.rc
Add text = setprop au.ui.enable_vpn true

4. Set root permissions for adb (easier root mods)
path\file = utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\default.prop
Old text = ro.secure=1
Replaced = ro.secure=0

5. Replace hosts file with new hosts file containing ad-blocked sites
path\file = utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\system\etc\hosts
Download: http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.asp (hpHosts_export[ad-servers]-.txt)
Rename hpHosts_export[ad-servers]-.txt to hosts
Convert hosts to unix format using dos2unix freewares
Replace old hosts with new hosts

6. Install cifsmanager (Many thanks to [email protected])
A. Pre-firmware installation:
- Copy 2 files to modules directory:
path/file = utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\system\lib\modules\slow-work.ko
path/file = utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\system\lib\modules\cifs.ko
- Files from Lubo's post:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/17228-cifs-manager-samba-mount-missing-cifsko/page__view__findpost__p__178642

B. Post-firmware installation:
- Rooted using Gingerbreak 1.2
- Install cifsmanager.apk from market
- Configure cifsmanager:
Load cifs module at startup = yes
Load via insmod = yes
Path to cifs (copy exactly):
/system/lib/modules/slow-work.ko; insmod /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko
Mount point:
/mnt/cifs/<network directory>
- Add new share path:
<server IP address>/<directory path>
eg: 192.168.0.1/fileshare will appear as /mnt/cifs/fileshare on tablet.
- Mount network shares using cifsmanager

·
Registered
227 Posts
thanks for the check list,

for no.2 you could also try 190, as that value still give you highres icon (more sharp) and "un-fullscreen" default keyboard

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for no.2 you could also try 190, as that value still give you highres icon (more sharp) and "un-fullscreen" default keyboard
Will give 190 a try, but never been quite happy with any of the LCD settings. So far, 175 is the one I least hate. Do you think I missed anything major in my check list?

The firmware releases have been churning out very quickly lately. Makes me glad that I chose the PV210 platform. It's probably another 3 or 4 releases away before I settle down with that one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am using 7-zip 9.21 beta. My utv210_root.tgz file ends up about 56 MByte after my simple mods.
I don't know why you are getting 300 MByte. Does it still work at that file size?
Finally I figuered it out. I was using winrar to extract and 7 zip to repack. After using 7 zip for everything.
I got the correct file size.

Thanks purplesun for quick reply.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you go about re compressing the file back to a .tgz file for the flash?
I did not uncompress utv210_root.tgz file in the first place. I applied all the changes directly to utv210_root.tgz using 7-zip's built-in file explorer. And simply click "yes" whenever 7-zip ask to save the changes.

The only slight exception is that changes to <utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\init.smdkv210.rc> can't be saved directly. So, I had to save that file externally and copy it in to replace the old init.smdkv210.rc file.

·
Banned
1,054 Posts
I did not uncompress utv210_root.tgz file in the first place. I applied all the changes directly to utv210_root.tgz using 7-zip's built-in file explorer. And simply click "yes" whenever 7-zip ask to save the changes.

The only slight exception is that changes to <utv210_root.tgz\utv210_root.tar\init.smdkv210.rc> can't be saved directly. So, I had to save that file externally and copy it in to replace the old init.smdkv210.rc file.
Thanks! I didn't realise you can edit it directly through 7zip, this didn't work when I tried winrar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.