Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my sister received her iPad I wondered if there was an Android tablet. Lo and behold there's been many variants in July and August and more to come in in the next few months. Now my quest for a $200 (total cost-price + shipping and handling) Android tablet has started.I find that shopping for an Android tablet is shady at best:[list type=decimal][*]Different processors[*]Limited upgrades depending on processor[*]Different features[*]Different manufacturers[*]Different specifications[*]Shady sellers[*]Inconsistent information[*]Many fakes, many variants, and general misinformation[/LIST]I do a lot of research when I buy electronics so I tend to notice some patterns that may be helpful for future buyers. Here are some things to keep in mind:[list type=decimal][*]Are the specifications consistent? -Some sellers put in a generic title like "7 inch Android 2.1 Tablet" while others are more specific like "MID-70-R7 with android 2.1 and 3D game, GPS, camera tablet PC, telechips 8902CPU". If the rest of the description matches the title than it may be good. -Sometimes the descriptions don't match the specifications. At the start of the description the processor may say VIA **** or Rochip when the specifications say it's a Telechip. Sometimes the pictures in the product description don't match! These products can be safely ignored.[*]Are the specifications vague? -If I want to know if a tablet has a g-sensor I don't wanted to know if it's "supported-required with software" or something like that. Is the g-sensor implemented or is it merely supported? There's a big difference there. There was only one product specification on aliexpress that actually told what the model the g-sensor was (sorry can't find that one at the moment). The more specific the specs are the better.[*]Can a VIA or Rockchip 2808 run Android 2.1? -Not currently, and the Rockchip 2808 may never run 2.1. Some sellers may have "Android 2.1 Tablet" in the title but may specify some of the above processors. It's safe to stay away from those.[*]Dual core? I think not (at least not yet). Some sellers combine processor power with graphics chip power while some sellers separate the two. Go with the ones who separate the specs.[*]Do the sellers specify a model number? If they do, great! If they don't, stay away! Having a model number simplifies transactions. Can you imagine trying to ship a tablet with a certain set of specifications that don't have a model number? "Okay, this guy wants a tablet with Android 2.1, g-sensor, 7" screen, HDMI, two usb ports, wifi . . .". Ugh. A model number is a summary of features: "This guy wants a MID-70-R7. Package and ship!"[/LIST]I know it's a gamble shopping online especially on aliexpress but I made my decision:Wholesale-MID 70 R7 with android 2.1 and 3D game, GPS, camera tablet PC, telechips 8902CPUIt's almost too good to be true (gps, 3g, 3d, 1080p HDMI, telechip, Android 2.1, g-sensor). It probably is too good to be true but I probably won't receive it for another week or so. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Minor update.Message from Nancy Liu:
thanks for your order, the R7 have 3D, 3G external, G sensor, camera, no GPS right now, please confirm, the OS is android2.1.
I'm inquiring if the gps is included but not functional yet._______________________Some of my requirements for an Android MID:[list type=decimal][*]upgradeable to Android 2.1-2.2[*]3d graphics processing[*]g-sensor[*]wifi[*]HD video (1080p would be a bonus)[*]usb & hdmi connections[/LIST]I wasn't expecting 3g or gps so those would be a bonus. If it's a software issue & it will be fixed then that would be cool. If "no GPS right now" means no physical device installed then it's not cool. Either way this machine is pretty much what I want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nancy Liu:
not include and the GPS not ready to add now.
I asked why "gps" was in the title if it's not included & not ready (but I told her to go ahead and ship anyway). So if you're interested in this machine don't expect gps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update. Everybody would probably be better off NOT buying from Swinder International. Here is my tracking update:
GUANGZHOU, CN 08/20/2010 11:21 P.M. IN TRANSIT TOSHENZHEN, CN 08/20/2010 11:20 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN08/20/2010 9:21 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN08/20/2010 2:32 P.M. PICKUP SCANCN 08/13/2010 12:14 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
It's been on "BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED" for a whole week before it actually shipped. I was hoping to get it before the 24th because we'll be out of town. Now it's scheduled to arrive on the 26th when we're not home! Damn! I wanted this thing for our trip but I guess I'll have to wait until August 30th.EDIT: Oh yeah, I specifically requested FedEx not UPS Expedited . . .
gongz;34974 said:
Maybe I'm late - I found this and I think this site more reliable (It'll stock on 12th august) Buy Gpad G10 Android 2.1 MID 7 Inch 1080P 3D Games Multi-Touch Gravity Sensor Compare Gentouch78 compare price at pandawill.comanyways please update I also interest this model.thank you
You're better off with the g10. Had I known this would be available on the 12th then I would've waited 2 days & I'd probably have it now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ascottk;34360]After my sister received her iPad I wondered if there was an Android tablet. Lo and behold there said:
[*]Different processors[*]Limited upgrades depending on processor[*]Different features[*]Different manufacturers[*]Different specifications[*]Shady sellers[*]Inconsistent information[*]Many fakes' date=' many variants, and general misinformation[/LIST']I do a lot of research when I buy electronics so I tend to notice some patterns that may be helpful for future buyers. Here are some things to keep in mind:[list type=decimal][*]Are the specifications consistent? -Some sellers put in a generic title like "7 inch Android 2.1 Tablet" while others are more specific like "MID-70-R7 with android 2.1 and 3D game, GPS, camera tablet PC, telechips 8902CPU". If the rest of the description matches the title than it may be good. -Sometimes the descriptions don't match the specifications. At the start of the description the processor may say VIA **** or Rochip when the specifications say it's a Telechip. Sometimes the pictures in the product description don't match! These products can be safely ignored.[*]Are the specifications vague? -If I want to know if a tablet has a g-sensor I don't wanted to know if it's "supported-required with software" or something like that. Is the g-sensor implemented or is it merely supported? There's a big difference there. There was only one product specification on aliexpress that actually told what the model the g-sensor was (sorry can't find that one at the moment). The more specific the specs are the better.[*]Can a VIA or Rockchip 2808 run Android 2.1? -Not currently, and the Rockchip 2808 may never run 2.1. Some sellers may have "Android 2.1 Tablet" in the title but may specify some of the above processors. It's safe to stay away from those.[*]Dual core? I think not (at least not yet). Some sellers combine processor power with graphics chip power while some sellers separate the two. Go with the ones who separate the specs.[*]Do the sellers specify a model number? If they do, great! If they don't, stay away! Having a model number simplifies transactions. Can you imagine trying to ship a tablet with a certain set of specifications that don't have a model number? "Okay, this guy wants a tablet with Android 2.1, g-sensor, 7" screen, HDMI, two usb ports, wifi . . .". Ugh. A model number is a summary of features: "This guy wants a MID-70-R7. Package and ship!"[/LIST]I know it's a gamble shopping online especially on aliexpress but I made my decision:Wholesale-MID 70 R7 with android 2.1 and 3D game, GPS, camera tablet PC, telechips 8902CPUIt's almost too good to be true (gps, 3g, 3d, 1080p HDMI, telechip, Android 2.1, g-sensor). It probably is too good to be true but I probably won't receive it for another week or so. I'll keep you updated.
It's best to write your own required specs then shop against those specs. Bear in mind that's why you have companies like Apple, Dell and HP. They do market studies to see how to spec their products. Most other tablets you get today is mostly targeted at pricing against the ipad, not really feature competition.The advantage with Android is that it is open, you could get a reasonable tablet from China and write your own software if you so desire.

·
Registered
880 Posts
ah, i have found this thread too late.what you are shoping for looks like a 'standard' Moonse e7002(basicly the aPad/iRobot/Moonse e7002 with the telechip processor instead of the rockchip one so it can support 256 MB RAM and runs Android 2.1)Acording to my Knowledge that device does have neighter 3G nor GPS.Supposedly you can conect a 3G USB dongle but probably only few will work.GPS was not possible on the Moonse e7001.Maybe better support for these has been added to the new Android.Also... 1080p... why do you need that? the screen is only 480 pixel high, not 1080 pixel.You will loose more then 50% image quality while the GPU downsizes the picture and burns your battery life!(or do i have a misconception of the XXXp definition?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote name='Loonix;41978]Also... 1080p... why do you need that? the screen is only 480 pixel high' date=' not 1080 pixel.You will loose more then 50% image quality while the GPU downsizes the picture and burns your battery life!(or do i have a misconception of the XXXp definition?)[/QUOTE'] HDMI out. Also I can watch clips from my 1080p camcorder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got my hands on it
If I feel up to it I'll do a better run down but for now:It comes with:[list type=decimal][*]A generic Android 2.1 manual[*]Mini-USB to USB cable[*]OTB USB cable[*]A blue fabric carrying case[*]Earbuds[/LIST]The good:[list type=decimal][*]Even though it has a resistive touchscreen, it's responsive. It comes with calibration software which helps.[*]It has Android Market & it works so I've been downloading a whole bunch of stuff.[*]The g-sensor works pretty well & works with 3d games and other tilt-sensing games.[*]The usb ports work[*]The screen is fairly nice even at different angles[/LIST]The bad:[list type=decimal][*]The camera sucks[*]The microphone is not very sensitive[*]*Where's the HDMI out?[*]Battery gets drained quickly. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet though. Some apps tend to drain it more than others.[*]There is no true home button. There's an icon with the home symbol but it brings up an app's options. In order to get to the home screen I have to hit the back/menu button several times.[*]There's very little software installed but I'm glad Market works[*]I wish there was hardware buttons for volume control[/LIST]What would I expect for less than $200? I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. So much so I barely touched my desktop since I started playing with it.Even so I would go with the GPad G10.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts