Android Tablets Forum banner

Modified 7-24 update firmware

15K views 87 replies 28 participants last post by  nchntrman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I modified the 7-24 firmware update to remove the userdata.img file. What this means is that you can now update without losing all of your installed applications.

You will need to install the volume button hack but once that is done it should start working again.

A couple of notes:
1. Give it some time to boot up on the first start. It may seem like it is stuck in a boot loop but it probably is not.
2. You might have some issues with programs force closing at first. Give it a few minutes to get updated and see if that helps. If it doesn't try the full update.
3. If you installed the Google experience alpha from clockworx then you will need to reinstall that also.
4. To clear dalvik cache (might help with force closes) perform the following in adb: adb shell rm -r /data/dalvik-cache
5. If you are using the Nook app then you will need to reinstall it following the posted directions in the Nook thread.
6. I am not responsible for bricking your device.

Install Instructions
1. Download the modified firmware from the link below.
2. Place that file on your SDcard.
3. With the Novel powered off press the volume up key (if you have done the button hack then it will be menu) and press and hold the power button.
4. When you see the install screen you can let go of volume up and the power on key.
5. Let the install finish and then reset the Novel.
6. Congrats your Novel is updated.

If you have any issues please read through the posts in this thread to see if your question has been answered. If it is not then feel free to ask and I will help to the best of my ability.

http://www.4shared.c..._ENG_6410P.html

(yes, it has the same file name so make sure that you pick the right one from your PC)

See less See more
#53 ·
[quote name='enjoys1;24394]bugeyed' date=' the CPU min speed by default is still set to '66'. Using setCPU I have set it up to 400 instead and so far no issues except the battery dies after 4 -5 hrs[/QUOTE'] I only boost mine to 133Mhz. Works well and has longer battery life too.

#54 ·
bugeyed;24399 said:
Why is it necessary to set the min. speed so high? Is it because the Proc.routine is too conservative & doesn't speed up when it should be at max?
It's not. However, it can help areas where the CPU is throttled down. I only up mine to 133Mhz though and it helps with battery life as opposed to the 400Mhz.

#55 ·
Just installed the update, amazed at how much improved things are overall when it comes to interacting with the homescreen. Makes things much more responsive. As has been said before, dragging icons around the homescreen becomes much less of a chore, and actually works. Things like loading books and switching from day or night in aldiko seem more responsive. I haven't yet had a chance to play with wifi, but I'll check it out when I get home.Things are improving with rapidity. I'm glad the manufacturer is releasing frequent patches, and that community support seems to be accelerating rather than stagnating.Cheers!-C

#56 · (Edited by Moderator)
I forgot to chime on on the modified-firmware update. Seems to have gone well. All apps I've tried are intact, as are all settings afaik.Here's what I did (fairly exactly):- Attached unit to PC; blew away /data/dalvik-cache- Downloaded the modified firmware, stuck it on the SD card (same card all my data's still on, whee)- Stuck SD card in unit, powered it off (yeah, it was still plugged into the PC via USB, no biggie)- Removed PDN from PC's USB- Hooked PDN to wall power (just in case), held vol-up/"menu" button down while merely flicking on power to boot unit...- ...and kept holding vol/up button until android updater dude showed up onscreen, then let vol-up button go- Waited for unit to complete update. - Unit booted up to homescreen-select dialog, but there was a "force-quit/wait" dialog on top of it for OfficeSuite...- ... clicked "wait", and it went away. Then chose PandaHome home.- Unplugged PDN from wall power, moved it back to PC, plugged in via USB- re-ran vol-keys hack, waited for reboot- re-ran root_novel.bat, waited for reboot- deleted modified-firmware .zip from SD card via Windows (could have done it other ways, too)- removed PDN from PC USB connection- Fired up setCPU, verified 800MHz max and 133 min (I'd set it to 133 min/max some time ago)- Done. Started playing around, checking apps. No issues except better performance overall. Still no hidden-SSID wifi love, which bums me out (and it IS an Android issue, not a PD issue anyway). I haven't bothered with Google Experience or anything yet, nor have I tried booting up PDN's native home or apps. Thanks for the modified firmware. I'd like to see something like this become the norm for PD's official updates; so much reinstall hassle avoided.

#57 ·
Thank you, blazingwolf for the great job. It makes it a lot easier to update now. Just want to mention one thing I had to redo - if you are using the Nook app from the market, you will have to redo the fix (there is a thread about getting nook.apk to work). Other than that looks great so far:)

#58 ·
[quote name='thebgrian;24501]Thank you' date=' blazingwolf for the great job. It makes it a lot easier to update now. Just want to mention one thing I had to redo - if you are using the Nook app from the market, you will have to redo the fix (there is a thread about getting nook.apk to work). Other than that looks great so far:)[/QUOTE'] Thanks for letting me know. I will add that to the first post.

#59 ·
[quote name='xelachen;24497]I forgot to chime on on the modified-firmware update. Seems to have gone well. All apps I've tried are intact' date=' as are all settings afaik.Here's what I did (fairly exactly):- Attached unit to PC; blew away /data/dalvik-cache- Downloaded the modified firmware, stuck it on the SD card (same card all my data's still on, whee)- Stuck SD card in unit, powered it off (yeah, it was still plugged into the PC via USB, no biggie)- Removed PDN from PC's USB- Hooked PDN to wall power (just in case), held vol-up/"menu" button down while merely flicking on power to boot unit...- ...and kept holding vol/up button until android updater dude showed up onscreen, then let vol-up button go- Waited for unit to complete update. - Unit booted up to homescreen-select dialog, but there was a "force-quit/wait" dialog on top of it for OfficeSuite...- ... clicked "wait", and it went away. Then chose PandaHome home.- Unplugged PDN from wall power, moved it back to PC, plugged in via USB- re-ran vol-keys hack, waited for reboot- re-ran root_novel.bat, waited for reboot- deleted modified-firmware .zip from SD card via Windows (could have done it other ways, too)- removed PDN from PC USB connection- Fired up setCPU, verified 800MHz max and 133 min (I'd set it to 133 min/max some time ago)- Done. Started playing around, checking apps. No issues except better performance overall. Still no hidden-SSID wifi love, which bums me out (and it IS an Android issue, not a PD issue anyway). I haven't bothered with Google Experience or anything yet, nor have I tried booting up PDN's native home or apps. Thanks for the modified firmware. I'd like to see something like this become the norm for PD's official updates; so much reinstall hassle avoided. [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE']Glad it worked for you.

#61 ·
[quote name='cpg716;24521]Hey guys.. Just so you know.. Even on old Firmware if you selected Samsung Moment on the SetCPU it always gave 800Mhz as an option' date=' but never ran higher then 533Mhz.CPG[/QUOTE'] That was because the Moment can run at 800Mhz. Until this update though the Novel could not. Now with the new kernel we can.

#62 ·
[quote name='cpg716;24521]Hey guys.. Just so you know.. Even on old Firmware if you selected Samsung Moment on the SetCPU it always gave 800Mhz as an option' date=' but never ran higher then 533Mhz.CPG[/QUOTE'] That was because the Moment can run at 800Mhz. Until this update though the Novel could not. Now with the new kernel we can.

#64 ·
Can anybody assist I cannot seem to get the PDN to recognize the updated zip file on the sdcard I keep getting an error or it just bypasses the card in boot. The recovery.log looks like this:update_package:SDCARD:Finding update package...I:Update location: SDCARD:I:temp:_ENG_6410POP_altered.zipOpening update package...I:Update file path: /sdcard/I:1 key(s) loaded from /res/keysVerifying update package...minzip: mmap(16384, R, FILE|SHARED, 15, 0) failed: No such deviceminzip: Map of '/sdcard/' failedE:Can't open /sdcard/(bad)Installation aborted.after error icon show===============promt_and_wait========================Fixing execute permissions for /cacheThanks.

#67 ·
a lot of people were not getting a complete download of the firmware. you may want to try to redownload it.

#71 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote name='coloreddust;24574]Strange' date=' I had to reinstall the volume hack. And I cannot use the calibration tool, it just stops responding and I cannot use any touch commands.[/QUOTE'] The volume hack reinstall is not unusual. It is noted in the first post that it must be done. :)Not sure about the calibration tool as I have not tried to use mine. Let me test it on my Novel.Edit: Just checked and calibration works just fine for me.

#74 ·
How do I access the calibration util via PandaHome/native-Android UI/settings? I've noticed since the firmware update that the touchscreen's waaaaay off (very noticeable with the keyboard). The last time I tried to fix calibration was via PD's own home, and I had to go back and reset it before I got control of the PDN again under PandaHome (it was wigging out like someone was swooshing around swiping and tapping, over and over and over again, even after reboots).It may be that I just need to give it another reboot and it will snap out of it. I recall that being the case one of the very first times I used it right out of the box.

#75 ·
For the record, my freshly purchased BBB Novel wouldn't take the modded firmware from SD, just got the angry Android icon even with several cards and reset tricks.Since I hadn't customized anything yet I grabbed the official 7-24 release from PD and it loaded fine using the exact same SD cards.Posted for reference.

#76 ·
[quote name='xelachen;24618]How do I access the calibration util via PandaHome/native-Android UI/settings? I've noticed since the firmware update that the touchscreen's waaaaay off (very noticeable with the keyboard). The last time I tried to fix calibration was via PD's own home' date=' and I had to go back and reset it before I got control of the PDN again under PandaHome (it was wigging out like someone was swooshing around swiping and tapping, over and over and over again, even after reboots).It may be that I just need to give it another reboot and it will snap out of it. I recall that being the case one of the very first times I used it right out of the box.[/QUOTE'] Open "PDNSettings and then on the top bar you will see the calibrate option.I'll suggest calibrate the screen using a pencil or pen (instead of finger).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.