Android Tablets Forum banner

Modified 7-24 update firmware

15K views 87 replies 28 participants last post by  nchntrman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I modified the 7-24 firmware update to remove the userdata.img file. What this means is that you can now update without losing all of your installed applications.

You will need to install the volume button hack but once that is done it should start working again.

A couple of notes:
1. Give it some time to boot up on the first start. It may seem like it is stuck in a boot loop but it probably is not.
2. You might have some issues with programs force closing at first. Give it a few minutes to get updated and see if that helps. If it doesn't try the full update.
3. If you installed the Google experience alpha from clockworx then you will need to reinstall that also.
4. To clear dalvik cache (might help with force closes) perform the following in adb: adb shell rm -r /data/dalvik-cache
5. If you are using the Nook app then you will need to reinstall it following the posted directions in the Nook thread.
6. I am not responsible for bricking your device.

Install Instructions
1. Download the modified firmware from the link below.
2. Place that file on your SDcard.
3. With the Novel powered off press the volume up key (if you have done the button hack then it will be menu) and press and hold the power button.
4. When you see the install screen you can let go of volume up and the power on key.
5. Let the install finish and then reset the Novel.
6. Congrats your Novel is updated.

If you have any issues please read through the posts in this thread to see if your question has been answered. If it is not then feel free to ask and I will help to the best of my ability.

http://www.4shared.c..._ENG_6410P.html

(yes, it has the same file name so make sure that you pick the right one from your PC)

See less See more
#27 ·
Robert Komisar;24132 said:
So do I uninstall the button hack to get the the new firmware loaded or is there another way to load.Also-still not clear if I update the firmware will it wipe out all of the apps I've installed ?Back to square one with the PDN or will the updated firmware just go on and not wipe me out?What does the update do or change in the PDN ?Anyone ??By the way-since the site upgrade I've had to re-register under a different name from stsrep.Still me though!!
No, you do not need to remove the button hack. It will be removed with the install of this file.My version of the firmware will not remove your installed applications (even says that in the first post ;) ). The base version from Pandigital will remove your apps.Makes many changes as have been mentioned earlier in this thread and in the other thread about the new firmware. Things I have seen so far:1. Much more responsive to touch.2. Increased speed.3. Increased CPU speed up to 800Mhz.

#30 ·
I wasn't able to load the modified 7-24 firmware this morning. I'm trying to upgrade via the SD card. When I boot using pressing power+vol Up sequence I see the android progress bar for 1 second than then it transitions to a screen that has the green android guy with a triangle above his head with an exclamation point inside. When this happens I'm stuck and my only option is to hit the reset button. If I don't try to upgrade the firmware then the novel boots normally. I tried downloading the modified firmware multiple times but the upgrade always gets stuck. I'm going to try loading the stock 7-24 firmware to see if that works. I'm also going to try the pandigital PC app to load the firmware. Has anyone else seen this problem on the novel?

#31 ·
Could you go into a bit more detail about the screen responsiveness? I returned mine yesterday because Kohl's told me my rebate was invalid (that I bought the wrong item and it was my fault). I figured I would either get the Augen (which is looking worse now), or go back and get the PDN at BBB where they hopefully won't screw me over.Figures PD would come out with an awesome new firmware the day after I return mine

#32 ·
Appreciate all of your helpful feedback and I am reading all of the posts etc,but how do I get the new firmware to start loading if I have the button hack installed and you must push the volume up and start button for 5 seconds so the sd update can begin.That reminds me- the 7-18 update I had to install from my pc thru usb.The PDN gave me the yellow crossed out box with the Android when I tried to use the SD card.Tried 3 differnt cards and none would work.Can I use your edited update thru USB and my PC as well?I know,dumbass questions but I sure was proud of myself in being able to hack this thing.Patience is a great virtue don't you think?

#33 ·
blazingwolf;23914 said:
I modified the 7-24 firmware update to remove the userdata.img file. What this means is that you can now update without losing all of your installed applications.
snipblazingwolf, thanks for you work on this. Can you possibly edit/update your first post with the info/issues or added steps found in subsequent posts? Such as the button hack, using SD card update or PC update & the steps for the force close issue work around. Just trying to get my mind around the process as a whole without reading several posts. I am assuming that the button hack can stay in place if I use the PC/USB install? Thanks,kev

#34 ·
[quote name='bugeyed;24166][QUOTE=blazingwolf;23914]I modified the 7-24 firmware update to remove the userdata.img file. What this means is that you can now update without losing all of your installed applications. [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG] snipblazingwolf' date=' thanks for you work on this. Can you possibly edit/update your first post with the info/issues or added steps found in subsequent posts? Such as the button hack, using SD card update or PC update & the steps for the force close issue work around. Just trying to get my mind around the process as a whole without reading several posts. I am assuming that the button hack can stay in place if I use the PC/USB install? Thanks,kev[/QUOTE'] Would love to but the site won't let me edit my posts right now.The file I provided is for the SDcard method. I have not done anything with the PC install at this time. Nothing changes from the normal install when installing from the SDcard. You do not need to do anything with the button hack to install this but it will remove the hack. So just install it once the update is done. I have not done anything on my Novel regarding the Force Close issue and things are running just fine. I just let it sit for a minute and the Novel got itself straight.

#35 ·
[quote name='clockworx;24161]Could you go into a bit more detail about the screen responsiveness? I returned mine yesterday because Kohl's told me my rebate was invalid (that I bought the wrong item and it was my fault). I figured I would either get the Augen (which is looking worse now)' date=' or go back and get the PDN at BBB where they hopefully won't screw me over.Figures PD would come out with an awesome new firmware the day after I return mine [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE'] On my Novel screen taps register quicker. Dragging items across the screen, like an icon, now move with your finger instead of moving several seconds after you move your finger.

#36 ·
[quote name='Robert Komisar;24163]Appreciate all of your helpful feedback and I am reading all of the posts etc' date='but how do I get the new firmware to start loading if I have the button hack installed and you must push the volume up and start button for 5 seconds so the sd update can begin.That reminds me- the 7-18 update I had to install from my pc thru usb.The PDN gave me the yellow crossed out box with the Android when I tried to use the SD card.Tried 3 differnt cards and none would work.Can I use your edited update thru USB and my PC as well?I know,dumbass questions but I sure was proud of myself in being able to hack this thing.Patience is a great virtue don't you think?[/QUOTE'] I used the same procedure with the button hack installed. Put the modified firmware on the SDcard, power on and volume up (menu if you have the button hack installed) until you see the loading screen. Firmware installed as normal.Not sure why you are having issues with SDcards. I have tried two of them now and both worked perfectly. One was a 2GB class 2 Sandisk and the other is an 8GB class 4 Kingston.

#37 ·
[quote name='blazingwolf;24184]I used the same procedure with the button hack installed. Put the modified firmware on the SDcard' date=' power on and volume up (menu if you have the button hack installed) until you see the loading screen. Firmware installed as normal.Not sure why you are having issues with SDcards. I have tried two of them now and both worked perfectly. One was a 2GB class 2 Sandisk and the other is an 8GB class 4 Kingston.[/QUOTE'] I actually have had issues with it before with stock firmware. (And believe me, I freaked out because I was doing dangerous stuff and couldn't get it to fully boot to Android). It didn't work for me until I opened it and removed the internal SD, and then it worked fine.I haven't had to do anything that drastic since. I think something is a bit off in which the SD card hardware doesn't fully mount on reset all the time. I've always had it work perfectly when I actually shut down via the power key, but when you get into a boot loop you can't do that. The second thing that I've had work successfully is holding down power and volume up, while pressing the reset button, and keeping them held until recovery starts. I don't know why this works better, but I haven't had to yank the internal card since.

#38 ·
Thanks guys, it installed like a champ! I put blazingwolf's zip file on the sdcard, did the vol +/on switch thing, it installed fine. After the reboot PandaHome went into a crash loop so I deleted the dalvik-cache per the suggestion, rebooted and it worked fine. Reran the vol hack and reapplied the google experience pack. When I checked the market ID, mine was still there from before. Did another reboot and then tried the market and it worked jes' fine!Screen response seems snappier, lag is gone when moving icons around, on the keyboard; I don't seem to hit the 'a' 3 times instead of the up arrow to switch to numbered input and I can now put it to sleep with FBReader running instead of having to kill the app and then shut down.

#40 ·
I know it's not necessary for most people, but you will need to re-root the device after this update to use apps like SetCPU. Still much better than re-installing all apps.Just have to redo root, vol key hack, google experience and I would imagine update youtube after that. The Youtube including in the google experience never worked for me.Thanks for posting this Blazingwolf!

#41 ·
[quote name='BiPolarBear;24289]I know it's not necessary for most people' date=' but you will need to re-root the device after this update to use apps like SetCPU. Still much better than re-installing all apps.Just have to redo root, vol key hack, google experience and I would imagine update youtube after that. The Youtube including in the google experience never worked for me.Thanks for posting this Blazingwolf![/QUOTE']OK my unit is not rooted, just hacked, so I can't use SetPCU? What is the factory CPU speed setting?

#44 ·
My update went fine. All is well & button hack is now in place again without issues. One difference I see is with shut down. If you hold the pwr slider & wait for the pop up you still have to hold the switch until the screen dims or it will just go into standby. OK, I understand that the max Proc. speed is now 800mHz, but is the idle speed still lower? Cheers,kev P.S.Thanks for all who run interference for those of us who like to tinker, but are not developers. I am soooo thankful for geeks & nerds. Where would we be without those who love to make & modify cool toys.

#47 ·
[quote name='enjoys1;24393]clockworx' date=' I checked after installing this firmware and it DID remove the androidId and set it back to '0'.[/QUOTE'] How did you install it? Others have reported back that it did not remove it, and it really shouldn't as the entire point of this is to not touch the data partition, which is where the androidId is stored.

#48 ·
[quote name='enjoys1;24394]bugeyed' date=' the CPU min speed by default is still set to '66'. Using setCPU I have set it up to 400 instead and so far no issues except the battery dies after 4 -5 hrs[/QUOTE'] Why is it necessary to set the min. speed so high? Is it because the Proc.routine is too conservative & doesn't speed up when it should be at max?

#50 ·
Juffin;24312 said:
How does the modified firmware update affect the PD applications? Will their new versions be still installed? So we will have the system with the latest version of native PD appks plus mostly untouched custom appks?
Correct. The only thing I changed was the wipe of the /Data portion of our devices. This keeps your apps while flashing the fresh files from the new firmware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.