Android Tablets Forum banner

Modified 7-24 update firmware

15K views 87 replies 28 participants last post by  nchntrman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I modified the 7-24 firmware update to remove the userdata.img file. What this means is that you can now update without losing all of your installed applications.

You will need to install the volume button hack but once that is done it should start working again.

A couple of notes:
1. Give it some time to boot up on the first start. It may seem like it is stuck in a boot loop but it probably is not.
2. You might have some issues with programs force closing at first. Give it a few minutes to get updated and see if that helps. If it doesn't try the full update.
3. If you installed the Google experience alpha from clockworx then you will need to reinstall that also.
4. To clear dalvik cache (might help with force closes) perform the following in adb: adb shell rm -r /data/dalvik-cache
5. If you are using the Nook app then you will need to reinstall it following the posted directions in the Nook thread.
6. I am not responsible for bricking your device.

Install Instructions
1. Download the modified firmware from the link below.
2. Place that file on your SDcard.
3. With the Novel powered off press the volume up key (if you have done the button hack then it will be menu) and press and hold the power button.
4. When you see the install screen you can let go of volume up and the power on key.
5. Let the install finish and then reset the Novel.
6. Congrats your Novel is updated.

If you have any issues please read through the posts in this thread to see if your question has been answered. If it is not then feel free to ask and I will help to the best of my ability.

http://www.4shared.c..._ENG_6410P.html

(yes, it has the same file name so make sure that you pick the right one from your PC)

See less See more
#4 ·
[quote name='clockworx;23925]Woo' date='that's how we roll :DDoing "rm -r /data/dalvik-cache" right before or after the upgrade is probably a good idea and should fix those force closes. (I forget if it is /data/data/dalvik-cache, or /data/dalvik-cache, whichever one actually exists)[/QUOTE'] OK, I'll look in to that thanks. :)Just to let you know what I did I removed the file and then modified the MD5 checksum file to remove the check for the userdata.img file. Did this while still open in 7zip instead of extracting and repacking. Worked like a charm but I will need to test doing it other ways also to see if we can get past the check the recovery seems to be doing.

#9 ·
What else does this update make better? I have done so many mods to my PDN I am hesitant to upgrade it again. Also I have a paid app that I would need to extract from the device so I can reinstall later. How can you extract an apk from an installed app? The app is on the emulator too so I can pull it from there if need to but I don't know how to do that either.

#10 ·
I also have downloaded many apps and would like to upgrade to the new firmware, but a little worried that it will brick and the wife would not be too happy, if I told her I needed to buy another Novel. My question is at what point do we stop upgrading? Also If I decide to go ahead with the update. Do I download Blazingwolf's update and send it directly to the sd card? Last question, do I insert sd card in Novel in off position and then powerup? Look foward to all your responses, Thank you in advanceFYI: Sharpie marker works real well in naving the Novel, and the nintendo stylus (but too small for my hands).

#14 ·
[quote name='RONO;24081]I also have downloaded many apps and would like to upgrade to the new firmware' date=' but a little worried that it will brick and the wife would not be too happy, if I told her I needed to buy another Novel. My question is at what point do we stop upgrading? Also If I decide to go ahead with the update. Do I download Blazingwolf's update and send it directly to the sd card? Last question, do I insert sd card in Novel in off position and then powerup? Look foward to all your responses, Thank you in advanceFYI: Sharpie marker works real well in naving the Novel, and the nintendo stylus (but too small for my hands).[/QUOTE']When do we stop upgrading? Up to the individual. If your happy with what you go then there is no real reason to update. However, I think the added benefits of this update are well worth it. This update makes the Novel operate like it should have from the start. It is much faster at booting, much faster in opening programs and just in general moving around the OS. Place the update file on your SD card and then use the power on button with the volume up button until you get the loading screen. The device should be off before you do this (though it won't hurt to replace your SDcard and then power off).

#16 ·
[quote name='clockworx;24101]I really doubt an official firmware is going to brick the device. If we find something we don't like' date=' it's pretty easy still to revert back.[/QUOTE'] I've seen to many reports of bricked items when using an "official" upgrade to think that. However, I do believe that the possibility is much less likely.

#19 ·
jackbox;24121 said:
WARNING: This version did not work. I just got a warning screen with the Android guy. I guess I will have to use the stock one and reinstall everything.
That usually means it couldn't find the file in the first place. I doubt it is an issue with the file itself since others have used it successfully.I've had the same issue with stock firmware. However Pandigital initializes the SD cards seems pretty broken and half the time it can't find the card (and, by extension, the firmware file on the card)

#20 ·
It found the SD card because it wrote the log file to the SD card.[quote name='clockworx;24127]That usually means it couldn't find the file in the first place. I doubt it is an issue with the file itself since others have used it successfully.I've had the same issue with stock firmware. However Pandigital initializes the SD cards seems pretty broken and half the time it can't find the card (and' date=' by extension, the firmware file on the card)[/QUOTE']

#21 ·
So do I uninstall the button hack to get the the new firmware loaded or is there another way to load.Also-still not clear if I update the firmware will it wipe out all of the apps I've installed ?Back to square one with the PDN or will the updated firmware just go on and not wipe me out?What does the update do or change in the PDN ?Anyone ??By the way-since the site upgrade I've had to re-register under a different name from stsrep.Still me though!!

#25 ·
[quote name='Guiltyr1;24139]I too would like to know if you are all uninstalling the button hack first; then reappliying when the update is done???Let me know. Thanks...[/QUOTE] Yes' date=' I did run revert_volume_keys first. Power [B']+Volume [/B]key needed to update firmware. 7-24 is better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.