Android Tablets Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts
[quote name='BiPolarBear;24289]I know it's not necessary for most people' date=' but you will need to re-root the device after this update to use apps like SetCPU. Still much better than re-installing all apps.Just have to redo root, vol key hack, google experience and I would imagine update youtube after that. The Youtube including in the google experience never worked for me.Thanks for posting this Blazingwolf![/QUOTE']OK my unit is not rooted, just hacked, so I can't use SetPCU? What is the factory CPU speed setting?

How does the modified firmware update affect the PD applications? Will their new versions be still installed? So we will have the system with the latest version of native PD appks plus mostly untouched custom appks?

My update went fine. All is well & button hack is now in place again without issues. One difference I see is with shut down. If you hold the pwr slider & wait for the pop up you still have to hold the switch until the screen dims or it will just go into standby. OK, I understand that the max Proc. speed is now 800mHz, but is the idle speed still lower? Cheers,kev P.S.Thanks for all who run interference for those of us who like to tinker, but are not developers. I am soooo thankful for geeks & nerds. Where would we be without those who love to make & modify cool toys.

[quote name='enjoys1;24393]clockworx' date=' I checked after installing this firmware and it DID remove the androidId and set it back to '0'.[/QUOTE'] How did you install it? Others have reported back that it did not remove it, and it really shouldn't as the entire point of this is to not touch the data partition, which is where the androidId is stored.

[quote name='enjoys1;24394]bugeyed' date=' the CPU min speed by default is still set to '66'. Using setCPU I have set it up to 400 instead and so far no issues except the battery dies after 4 -5 hrs[/QUOTE'] Why is it necessary to set the min. speed so high? Is it because the Proc.routine is too conservative & doesn't speed up when it should be at max?

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Juffin;24312 said:
How does the modified firmware update affect the PD applications? Will their new versions be still installed? So we will have the system with the latest version of native PD appks plus mostly untouched custom appks?
Correct. The only thing I changed was the wipe of the /Data portion of our devices. This keeps your apps while flashing the fresh files from the new firmware.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
[quote name='tadroid;24319]Me' date=' too - well, I could edit but not save, until I clicked on the advanced option and then it worked.[/QUOTE'] I shall give that a try and update the first post. Thanks.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
[quote name='enjoys1;24394]bugeyed' date=' the CPU min speed by default is still set to '66'. Using setCPU I have set it up to 400 instead and so far no issues except the battery dies after 4 -5 hrs[/QUOTE'] I only boost mine to 133Mhz. Works well and has longer battery life too.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
bugeyed;24399 said:
Why is it necessary to set the min. speed so high? Is it because the Proc.routine is too conservative & doesn't speed up when it should be at max?
It's not. However, it can help areas where the CPU is throttled down. I only up mine to 133Mhz though and it helps with battery life as opposed to the 400Mhz.

Just installed the update, amazed at how much improved things are overall when it comes to interacting with the homescreen. Makes things much more responsive. As has been said before, dragging icons around the homescreen becomes much less of a chore, and actually works. Things like loading books and switching from day or night in aldiko seem more responsive. I haven't yet had a chance to play with wifi, but I'll check it out when I get home.Things are improving with rapidity. I'm glad the manufacturer is releasing frequent patches, and that community support seems to be accelerating rather than stagnating.Cheers!-C

I forgot to chime on on the modified-firmware update. Seems to have gone well. All apps I've tried are intact, as are all settings afaik.Here's what I did (fairly exactly):- Attached unit to PC; blew away /data/dalvik-cache- Downloaded the modified firmware, stuck it on the SD card (same card all my data's still on, whee)- Stuck SD card in unit, powered it off (yeah, it was still plugged into the PC via USB, no biggie)- Removed PDN from PC's USB- Hooked PDN to wall power (just in case), held vol-up/"menu" button down while merely flicking on power to boot unit...- ...and kept holding vol/up button until android updater dude showed up onscreen, then let vol-up button go- Waited for unit to complete update. - Unit booted up to homescreen-select dialog, but there was a "force-quit/wait" dialog on top of it for OfficeSuite...- ... clicked "wait", and it went away. Then chose PandaHome home.- Unplugged PDN from wall power, moved it back to PC, plugged in via USB- re-ran vol-keys hack, waited for reboot- re-ran root_novel.bat, waited for reboot- deleted modified-firmware .zip from SD card via Windows (could have done it other ways, too)- removed PDN from PC USB connection- Fired up setCPU, verified 800MHz max and 133 min (I'd set it to 133 min/max some time ago)- Done. Started playing around, checking apps. No issues except better performance overall. Still no hidden-SSID wifi love, which bums me out (and it IS an Android issue, not a PD issue anyway). I haven't bothered with Google Experience or anything yet, nor have I tried booting up PDN's native home or apps. Thanks for the modified firmware. I'd like to see something like this become the norm for PD's official updates; so much reinstall hassle avoided.

Thank you, blazingwolf for the great job. It makes it a lot easier to update now. Just want to mention one thing I had to redo - if you are using the Nook app from the market, you will have to redo the fix (there is a thread about getting nook.apk to work). Other than that looks great so far:)

Discussion starter · #58 ·
[quote name='thebgrian;24501]Thank you' date=' blazingwolf for the great job. It makes it a lot easier to update now. Just want to mention one thing I had to redo - if you are using the Nook app from the market, you will have to redo the fix (there is a thread about getting nook.apk to work). Other than that looks great so far:)[/QUOTE'] Thanks for letting me know. I will add that to the first post.

Discussion starter · #59 ·
[quote name='xelachen;24497]I forgot to chime on on the modified-firmware update. Seems to have gone well. All apps I've tried are intact' date=' as are all settings afaik.Here's what I did (fairly exactly):- Attached unit to PC; blew away /data/dalvik-cache- Downloaded the modified firmware, stuck it on the SD card (same card all my data's still on, whee)- Stuck SD card in unit, powered it off (yeah, it was still plugged into the PC via USB, no biggie)- Removed PDN from PC's USB- Hooked PDN to wall power (just in case), held vol-up/"menu" button down while merely flicking on power to boot unit...- ...and kept holding vol/up button until android updater dude showed up onscreen, then let vol-up button go- Waited for unit to complete update. - Unit booted up to homescreen-select dialog, but there was a "force-quit/wait" dialog on top of it for OfficeSuite...- ... clicked "wait", and it went away. Then chose PandaHome home.- Unplugged PDN from wall power, moved it back to PC, plugged in via USB- re-ran vol-keys hack, waited for reboot- re-ran root_novel.bat, waited for reboot- deleted modified-firmware .zip from SD card via Windows (could have done it other ways, too)- removed PDN from PC USB connection- Fired up setCPU, verified 800MHz max and 133 min (I'd set it to 133 min/max some time ago)- Done. Started playing around, checking apps. No issues except better performance overall. Still no hidden-SSID wifi love, which bums me out (and it IS an Android issue, not a PD issue anyway). I haven't bothered with Google Experience or anything yet, nor have I tried booting up PDN's native home or apps. Thanks for the modified firmware. I'd like to see something like this become the norm for PD's official updates; so much reinstall hassle avoided. [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE']Glad it worked for you.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.