Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I'm studying IT, and from this year beginning microprocessor classes.

I'm planning to add:

1) volume buttons
2) vibro motor
3) gsm module (I'm thinking about Huawei E367)
4) bluetooth 3.0
5) gps on UART (GlobalSat Sirf Star III or Mt3339 gmm-u2p) + antenna
6) maybe dvb-t modem

Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to do some other mods:

a) change front/add back camera (with high Mpx - maybe from mobile phone like in SE SATIO)

b ) add internal microphone (probably from iphone)

c) replace ram with faster and with bigger capacity (current are CL7 BCF8)

d) replace built-in flash (higher capacity + faster if possible)

All this modifications will be done (or at least considered) on IT circle on my university, under guidance of leading professors.

Not all of them are useful and worthwhile for common user, but for me it will be great practice exercise!

Also, You may wonder how all this stuff will fit in original case - it won't!
But for me changing backplate is option to consider.

This topic was created to define possible mods for this device. If You have any ideas pleas post it here!

Hope You'll find some useful informations here

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi,
you can find some hardware mods in:

Adding volume button, thanks to Paillassou.
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__189163

Adding DVB-T, thanks to Lubo
http://www.slatedroi...vb-usb-support/

Adding USB Hub chip, thanks to Denys
(you can connect internal 3G module, Bluetooth and GPS module, if there is space available)
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__255226
http://4pda.ru/forum...20#entry9153584

Adding Vibrator
http://www.slatedroi...aptic-feedback/

Thanks also to those not mentioned who have helped to improve this tablet.

PS: mic is already present & working. Via external usb port you can already connect 3G modem / DVB-T / BT / Ethernet / GPS etc etc, the important thing is the software support (kernel modules).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fbelleri, I think it might be more useful if I'll keep updated list of how-to's in the first post.

My dropad should arrive today, so i couldn't personally check for microphone, but didn't see one i specs.

Also, I would like to ask for opinion of experienced users on changing flash/ram/camera. Even if such mods were done only on other tablets, informations about it should be helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dropad arrived yesterday as I expected, and I've noticed that wifi signal is very weak. Today I've managed to replace the original antenna with one from ASMAX BR-704g router (fits without a problem, and its about >= 12cm - it's printed on narrow pcb).

What's bothering me is fact, that MAIN and AUX wires on the pcb side were soldered together! I've re-soldered them, but if there are more things like that in dropad... :/

But back to the topic: After replacing and soldering, wifi signal strenght - measured in WIFI analytics - growth from -79dBm to -31dBm in best case (both test made in same distance about 1m sic! from router). Also, even with such small distance to router, before re-soldering I had only 3 of 4 bars of wifi signal.

I haven't got camera when modding, so pics will be made next time i'll have my dropad opened.
I'm planing to create independent site for my little project with dropad mods, but time will show...

One question: anyone have any clues about changing/adding 2nd camera?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I've installed vibration motor (not working - haven't got enough time to check if voltage is appearing).

I have also tried using different speaker - from N5800 Xpress Music - and it's much quieter than original, however it's possible to put 2 of them in case in front.
Don't know how to solve stereo problem yet.

I'm planning to expand backplate of this tablet in the future, to add 2 more battery modules. If I'll do that maybe there is a chance to fit Harman Kardon speaker from Toshiba P100

Important thing for all people having troubles with quiet sound on original speaker - mine needed re-soldering to work properly! (wires to PCB)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here're some pics with new antenna:

Front
Back

With genesis rom 2.8.1 signal strength is awesome!

Don't have any numbers, but it's running better than in my laptop

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi rhaziell. There is problem with access to your pictures (I mean from your last post). Could you put your pictures in differnt place? I also have a problem with wi-fi and cannot find good pictures, specially pictures the place where antenna cables are connected to mainboard.
Regards,
Jacek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have one of these long thin wifi antennas that they could scan at 100% and upload (perhaps next to a ruler to double check). I might try cutting one from some adhesive copper foil and attach it the outside of the case or at least just under the plastic case so it is outside the inner metal shield.

Thanks,

Dik

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Dik,

I got this idea before, unfortunatelly I didn't have time lately to play with my dropad. Adhesive copper foil sounds nice, but for antenna - I think better is to use Biquad for wifi, and put it just before the first backplate (the one that you attach with adhesive tapes), and then connect it with better pigtail cable. U can also try to use some modded ROM like genesis, and change wifi ampilfier power for more than 40% - (this value was said to be best for the chip to give enough signal and not overheat/fry it). You will need some small radiator on top of the chip to do that. Also, You can isolate whole chip from signal disortions this way.

If You still interested in my antenna circut board scan, please ask

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I've used Genesis etc and found a vast improvement. i also have a wifi aerial from elsewhere which I was gong to try. However an idle mind pictured the antennae on an iphone and thought I could try and replicate it (wihout the 'shorting'issue), then I saw your photos and got the idea of the copper foil. Would be grateful if you have time to provide a scan.

Cheers,

Dik

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, i've just got one suggestion

if someone know, you should add a serial (debug TX/RX) port on your tab to install an real linux system on it ...

but for your mods i don't really know if they can fit in one packaging (it's a bit huge no?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, well i thought about extending the back part of the case, but that's no longer issue, since I'm happy owner of galaxy tab.

If I'll find some time to take scans of anthenna, I'll post it. I'm little busy at work right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts