Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I got a decent deal on a 9.7" MoMo rebrand (called the Trio Stealth Pro) so my daughter (4 years old) can have something to play games on and watch videos. Everytime she is holding mine, I cringe waiting for the expected drop/crash.

The biggest limitation to the tablet is:
1. The side facing dual speakers are crap (low and tinny sounding)
2. The tablet is slick and slightly heavy

Speaker Mod:
Rather than cracking open the tablet and actually trying to install new speakers, I thought purchasing some small hardwired speakes which could be connected to the headphone jack and then glued to the tablet so that they are forward facing would be the way to go, the wire to the headphone jack could be hidden within a tablet case/skin so it's out of the way. The problem is I not sure if a good candidate speakers exists which are not too expensive.

This website has tons of tiny speakers but each fail for this type of mod as the speakers are not rugged and have no backs. Does anyone know of a small speaker (say 20mm x 10mm) that would be rugged enough, self contained and could easily be hardwired to a headphone jack wire? Also, since these would be passive speakers (i.e. no power) what type of specs should I be looking for that would work? Am I climbing up the wrong tree on this? Would I be better off pulling the wiring from the existing internal speakers?

Case MOD:
So I love, love, LOVE the bumper casing design used by the new Nabi 2. In retrospect, I should have just purchased this tablet on BF for $120, but I'm sure lots of prospective parents would like to know products out there which would protect their tablets as good as the Nabi 2 bumper case does. Is there bumper type material that could be purchased, cut to fit and glued onto the edges of a tablet?

Are there any other inexpensive type mods you guys could suggest making a tablet more ruggedized for lifestyle of your typical kid user?

Thanks,

smithmal

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
How is your project going ? any pics yet?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Well I got the logitech product and it works great so I think I'm going to use that instead of jerry-rigging a new speaker system. I think I'm going to amend it a bit by adding industrial velcro to it in leui of the clip on as my daughter pushes it off the top of the tablet far to easy. I'm really interested in the "bumper" casing idea (similar to the Nabi 2). I'm shocked that generic casing material hasn't been offered to consumers yet which can easily cut to size and slipped onto the sides of the tablet making it more kiddie proof for any sized tablet.

smithmal

EDIT: here's an interesting product. I wonder if it would be compatible to my tablet:
http://www.iballz.info/products/iballz-minis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem is force vectors. They make it difficult either absorb the or allow it to transfer well. The main reason no tablet maker has made tough book style tablet on the market is that these are designed for short lifespan for profit margins. Now move up to a CNC case with shock mounts on board and screen and you are talking about some reasonably durable unit. Is there not only a short term market for them? The CNC part is not had as it is 2.5D at most with double sided milling or a casting that is then milled for finishing. Now who wants to pay to have? -Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts