Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
(Old) Picuntu - Remix - Edition: (old)
formerly known as home://io edition
Screenshots have been removed to lighten load on arctablet with new post available and new screenshots. You can still visit the below link if you wish to see this releases screenshots
Screenshots graciously hosted by Arctablet.com click to visit.
For more full size screenshots click anywhere on this text.

This topic is about the home://ioremix edition of the Picuntu Linux for RK3066 formerly known as home://io edition. Due to the many changes in newer releases, the release has become its own creature so this image and topic will be renamed to Picuntu re-mix because thats what this system mainly is. This image is based off of Picuntu RC2.2 and then upgraded to RC3 including the current partial Mali HW Acceleration support, lots of modules, and extras!

Edit: This topic will remain for reference but no more development will be taking place in regards to this release, please check out the new release by following the link in my signature!

My hopes for this topic and this system backup is to help new users easily and quickly boot Linux on their ARM devices and immediately be able to take full advantage of the Linux desktop OS. As I continue to document and update the image I will be documenting the changes here so stay up to date, subscribe and enjoy the ride!

On the desktop/homescreen

- Shortcut/Icon for Quake3 ~ GLTron ~ Playstation Emulator ~ mySQL manager - Joomla 3.1 shorcut to easy setup of personal professional modern website ~ Qt Creator ~ Reboot to Android ~ Pandora Radio application

- home://io extras folder including the following:
-Extra Fonts
-Joomla Extras
-PCSX_rearmed Playstation Emulator (no bios or games included but if you have a PS3 controller it works perfectly)
-Original Mali files from Olegk0
-QtProject examples
-Source code for several projects such as ioquake3, gltron, and no-ip dynamic IP update service client

Accessories:
- Application Finder
- Archive Manager
- Artha
- Calculator
- Catfish File Search
- DockX
- Guake (The best command line terminal application EVER, drops down from the top by hitting F12 and is transparent to see desktop/other applications while typing commands)
- Launchy
- Leafpad
- Notes
- Recoll
- Search for Files
- Gedit
- Tomboy Notes
- Xarchiver
- Xfburn
- Xpad
- Simple Scan: Doc scanner application
- Xsane: similar to the above
- Xf-image, Xf-pack, Xf-view, Xf-write (set of lightweight XFCE office image and archive tools)

Development Tools:
-BlueFish
-GNU Emacs 23
-MonoDevelop
-Python v3.2
-Qt Creator (Qt4)

Games:
-Solitaire
-Armagetron Advanced (NO GPU ACCELERATION)
-B.A.L.L.Z
-bsnes (SNeS emulator currently not working at all, soon hopefully)
-DOSbox
-LinCity
-Pingus
-Warmux

GLES/SDL/EGL Applications:
-ioquake3 (with free demo files, replace with your own original Quake3 CD files for full fledged game!) PS3 CONTROLLER SUPPORTED
-GLTron
-PCSX_rearmed (Playstation Emulator: The emulator can work without bios but works best with oringial PSX bios. You will need your own bios image and your own games!)PS3 CONTROLLER SUPPORTED
-More to come as they applications are ported/newely created!

Graphics:
- Doc Viewer
- GColor 2
- GIMP
- ImageMagick
- Inkscape
- Pencil
- QtQR
- RawTherapee
- Scribus
- Shotwell

Web Browsing: (All browsers use Gnash plugin for SWF/Flash supprt)
- Midori Web Browser (for a super FAST and lightweight web browsing experience use THIS browser)
- Firefox (I personaly use Midori because Firefox can be sluggish and Midori has overall better performance/experience on ARM in my opinion)
- Chromium Web Browser (currently the set default but in next release Midori will be default web browser)

E-mail/Messaging:
- CheckGMail (Panel Notifier for GMail)
- Claws-Mail (Lightweight email client), Slypheed (email client)
- XChat IRC Client
- Ekiga VOIP Software Phone
- Gwibber, Pidgin (IM Chat messaging clients supporting all IM services)

Transfering/Downloading:
- FatRat (Download manager/accelerator)
- FileZila (FTP/SFTP Client)
- iTransmission, uGet, VUZE, BitStorm Lite (P2P Downloading clients)

Remote Desktop/Sharing/Connecting:
- X11VNC remote desktop server
- OpenSSH-Server
- vsftpd (Very Secure FTP Daemon, standard ftp daemon for Ubuntu)
- NO-IP ( no-ip.com is a Dynamic HOST service that allows you to create a free yourchoice.no-ip.org site name that points directly to your computer using the pre-compiled NO-IP updater daemon. Use this with Joomla to have a perfect personal website setup to access anywhere and share with friends/colleagues! OR you can use this service to access your FTP or securely log in to your computer remotely OR setup X11VNC and remotely control your desktop like you're sitting in front of it but from anywhere in the world by simply going to http:://yourchoiceofname.no-ip.org!! So many uses, what will you use a free host name for?

Multimedia:
- Acetone ISO
- Amarok
- Airfoil Speakers (turn your dongle into a set up wireless speakers for another computer!)
- Arista Transcoder
- Audacious
- Audio Tag Tools
- Cheese (WebCam software)
- EasyTag
- GNASH SWF player
- Gnome MPlayer
- gUVCview (for webcams)
- GXine
- Kid3
- Mier
- Movie Player
- Mp3Split-gtk
- OggConvert
- Parole
- Open Shot (video editor suite)
- Ryhtum Box
- Sound Converter
- VLC
- xfburn

Office:
- AbiWord
- Dictionary
- Doc Viewer
- GNUCash (finance manager)
- Gnumatic (like excel)
- Orage
- PDF-Shuffler
- Libre Office : The entire Libre office suite, much like the Microsoft Windows Office suite. Anything and everything you need for document creation

Installation/Setup:
-Requirements: RK3066 Device, Olegk0 Kernel with Mali support, SD card with at least 8Gb free space (Image is 6.7Gb uncompressed, under 3Gb compressed) picuntu_remix_rootfs.tar.gz file from one of the following servers:
* File is ONLINE gentleman start your downloads! *​

There are two sets of links. The first set links to the mirror directory in your country where you can find the file picuntu_home-io_rootfs.tar.gz picuntu_remix_rootfs.tar.gz and the second set of links are direct links to the file to begin downloading immediately. Always check MD5.
This name has been changed to better reflect the versioning of releases. This release is a remix and the newer release found in my signature has been titled homeio_rc1 because it has differentiated itself from Picuntu as its own creation.

Mirrored Directories:
[EU] Download the file titled: picuntu_remix_rootfs.tar.gz
[USA] Download the file titled: picuntu_remix_rootfs.tar.gz
[USA2] Download the file titled: picuntu_remix_rootfs.tar.gz
[ASIA] Download the file titled: picuntu_remix_rootfs.tar.gz

Direct Links to file: [EU]-[USA]-[USA2]-[ASIA]

MD5-SUM: ac33a344a6ca8d9443eebd3bbbdb4a88

-Installation: Follow the instructions from Olegk0 here to setup your device with Olegk0's kernel and make it ready for the SD card image, you do NOT need to follow the instructions telling you to add the mod+fw files STOP once you get to the part where Olegk0 says "pick your favorite rootfs and put on SD card" this is where you use my provided tar.gz. If you need further instructions on how to prepare your SD card please follow ONLY steps 2 and 3 where it says Option II.a from THIS link. If you do NOT have a rooted Android System then also follow the steps in the previous link to getting Finless BOB Rom as well and if you have Olegk0 kernel ALL READY flashed to the device than JUST follow step 2/ II.a.

If you all ready have a device setup and running a previous Linux system or at least have Olegk0 kernel flashed you can skip all the pre-setup steps and simply untar the tarball in root dir of storage device/SD.

-Users and Passwords: CHANGE IMMEDIATELY! (dont hesitate to ask how if you are uncertain)
-root password: 12qwaszx
-picuntu password: 12qwaszx
-MySQL User: root PW: 12qwaszx

-Network Setup: A known issue in GDM on this system is that it will crash when issuing "sudo service networking restart" so to make things easier I've provided a quick shortcut on the desktop to edit network and reboot. In the next release I will have an application or script to allow you to add all of the wifi networks you connect to on a normal basis and if Picuntu cannot find one of the networks it will attempt to connect to the others listed. This will be configurable by a .conf file in ~/.config once I have accomplished that task.

[ if you are unsure what the logical name of your network device is (for example eth0 eth1 etc...) then please issue this copy/paste/run the following from a terminal BEFORE launching the "edit network" shortcut and be sure to replace eth0 when editing network settings with the correct name received from this command, this may also help those of you having issues with USB Network Devices who are unsure of what device "name" to use]
- Discovering Network Device Logical Name, copy/paste all blue text below:
for i in /sys/class/net/*; do e=`basename $i`; echo "# $e"; sudo ethtool $e | grep -E "Link|Speed" ; done

Step One: Double click "Edit Network Settings" icon, it will prompt you for the root password(12qwaszx) then allow you to change network settings. Under eth0 change "internet2" to your router name and "helloworld" to the passkey to your router.

Step Two: Press ctrl+x to quit editing network and when the screen prompts you to save press the "y" key for yes. When the window closes simply double click the reboot con directly next to Edit Network Icon.

-Customization/Personalizing: Linux is ALL about personalizing your computer experience allthough for some users this can become a difficult feat without a little help. Below is a few ways in which you can personalize Picuntu to reflect your inner self! (coming soon)

Projects/Ideas/Instructions/Tested Uses and ways to Apply the MK808/Linux on ARM to your everyday life:
- Home/CAR (YES CAR) Security Surveillance/Monitor System (For the CAR application can also be used as re-view cam and for the HOME maybe a child/babysitter monitor?)
- Any type of server: Chat Room server, Web Server, FTP File Server, SAMBA server, Media/Movies/Music server, INTERNET REPEATER, Custom Router with built in Firewall/Add Blocking
- In CAR Advanced Dash/Music/Radio Hub/GPS/HUD BETTER than the ones comming with your $30,000 cars ( have not tested USB TFT touch screens but should work, alternatively can use any other device through VNC)
- Complete Home Office computer or School computer for kids in need of a cheap yet powerful publishing tool.
- Development Machine (IF your application runs smooth on Picuntu it can only run faster/smoother on an x86) I've now started only developing using this setup.
- More too come, stay posted, and if you have any ideas please feel free to post post post!

Known Issues/Bugs/Work Arounds:
- When issuing "sudo service networking restart" Gnome Display Manager (GDM) crashes. This is a bug I've found with GDM and will be switching to lightDM as Display Manager because it does not do this.
To change your network settings and add your router name/PW simply double click the "Edit Network Settings" icon on the desktop, it will prompt you to enter the root password (12qwaszx) and then opens a terminal using
the text editor "nano" to display current network settings, change "Internet2" to the name of your router and change "helloworld" to your passkey. After changing this press Ctrl+x and when it asks to save press the Y key.
Now that you've succesfully changed your network settings, because of the known GDM bug, you must restart your computer for the changes to take affect. Right next to Edit Network Icon is a "reboot" icon double click it
, enter root password (12qwaszx) and when your computer restarts you will have full network access!

- Sluggish Login screen (again this is a GDM issue and will be fixed with next image using lightDM)
- es2gears and glmark2-es2 does not show the GLES tests as they are being tested graphically but they DO report to you the actual benchmark information (scores up to 150) and any other GLES/EGL app is working fine.
- PCSX_rearmed: This Playstation emulator is awesome at reproducing the Playstation very accurately and fast! When you choose certain display modes from within the app you may or may not see an image in the emulators window. To ensure you see something and can interact with the application first drag it up into the top left hand corner then press up or down to get it to refresh its screen. Alternatively if you leave the display mode set to SDL Window or Video Overlay (not OpenGL) then you should not have to put window in upper left corner. Also press F11 or Alt+Spacebar (afterwords press letter F for fullscreen) to make the entire emulator completely full screen.
- FTPuser is shown at login when only picuntu or other users should be shown (simple fix next image will be cleaner) The ftpuser is a secure unprivledged user for VSFTPD to use if you wish to setup a secure FTP daemon. It allows you to have people log in anonymously using encrypted credentials certs and keys, allowing YOU to share any file securely through the internet.

If you see this message on the command line while installing something or software center don't worry I simply deleted a cert or key while trying to purge my personal information that varifies you are connected to the actual ubuntu package repos. For now when installing from command line or anywhere it says "are you sure, we can't validate package" just select yes and continue the download/install. This will be fixed in next release and until then I would suggest getting a taste/feel from this image and using the next image as a stable/every day release.
Code:
[email protected]:/home/picuntu# apt-get install phpsysinfo<br />
Reading package lists... Done<br />
Building dependency tree<br />
Reading state information... Done<br />
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:<br />
  freerdp-x11 liblightdm-qt-2-0 libpam-freerdp libxfce4ui-utils python-cupshelpers python-gnomekeyring python-smbc system-config-printer$<br />
  system-config-printer-udev ttf-droid<br />
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.<br />
The following extra packages will be installed:<br />
  php5-xsl<br />
The following NEW packages will be installed:<br />
  php5-xsl phpsysinfo<br />
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.<br />
Need to get 394 kB of archives.<br />
After this operation, 2,046 kB of additional disk space will be used.<br />
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y<br />
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!<br />
  php5-xsl phpsysinfo<br />
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y<br />
Also there may be one or two log files with bad dates (1969) this shouldn't cause any issues you will notice aside from seeing a message about "you have mail in /var/mail/root" this is just notifying you that it could not rotate the log files because the old log file is waaaay to old
EASY fix just open Guake (hit the F12 key) and type this without quotes "sudo touch /var/log/apt/term.log" That will update the timestamp and stop error msg. Msg looks something like this:
Code:
You have new mail in /var/mail/root<br />
[email protected]:/home/picuntu# cat /var/mail/root<br />
From [email protected]  Tue Apr 30 13:09:30 2013<br />
Return-Path: <[email protected]><br />
X-Original-To: root<br />
Delivered-To: [email protected]<br />
Received: by picuntu (Postfix, from userid 0)<br />
        id 5ABAA7F711; Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:09:29 -0700 (PDT)<br />
To: [email protected]<br />
Subject: Anacron job 'cron.daily' on picuntu<br />
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII<br />
Message-Id: <[email protected]><br />
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:09:29 -0700 (PDT)<br />
<br />
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:<br />
error: bad year 1969 for file /var/log/apt/term.log in state file /var/lib/logrotate/status<br />
error: could not read state file, will not attempt to write into it<br />
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1<br />
CREDITS
It all started with this little file. That underscored italic text is a link to the original Picuntu Linux rootfs-0.9-RC2.2.tgz that started it all for me in regards to Linux on ARM. The following credits are filled with other italic links that correspond to the person or project being credited. Please check out the original work from the original others because this is just my flavoring/repackaging. Following the download of Picuntu I of course downloaded Alok's great kernel based of of AndrewDB's work flashed it to my 808 and booted Picuntu for the first time using great instructions from Alok . After having some fun I heard word of new Mali support and other goodies so with the help of the work from Olegk0 and his fork of AndrewDBs kernel as well as his work on implementing a working Mali driver and other Mali related files I was able to get a good working Picuntu RC2.2 updated to RC3 (current progress at the time) with Olegk0's kernel. I've had fun and really enjoyed my time experiencing the Picuntu project and welcome you to do the same! I give great thanks to Alokinsha, Olegk0, AndrewDB, Rh3 and anyone else who has somehow helped users of Picuntu along the way and may the future bring more great news and excitement!

Also a SPECIAL thanks to Arctablet for allowing me to host my files and of course Slatedroid for allowing us this great place to share our techy geeky-ness fearlessly

If you have any questions, comments, or bugs to report feel free to post post post! Feedback is more than welcome, its encuraged.

Best Regards, Justin Gross
home://io
Seattle, WA

·
Registered
1 Posts
My device - rikomagic MK802 III (UG802)
with kernel 3.0.8-1080-Alok+recov.img - works
with kernel kernel-mk808-olegk0.img - not runner
sorry for my english

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Justin (and all you other guys),
I have bean watching the development of picuntu since it first began last fall, but I have never been able to get something up and running on my UG802.
I downloaded this the moment it became available, seeing an sdcard image as the only viable option for me because of my limited skills (I have tried the other stuff as well, and failed).
However I am now stuck before I am even able to diagnose the problem!
I have tried getting the recovery kernel to run both from the Finless 1.8, and from the 1.7, with terminal command and various reboot apps.
The only thing that happens when rebooting to recovery is that I get a black screen.
I am actually able to get some scrolling text up and running with the older alok kernel, and actually at some point I got to the gui with one of the first sdcard images before christmas...
But I feel that your version is the future, and this is what I want to get running on my RK stick!
Does anybody know what I am doing wrong? One should think that it I should be getting further than a black screen when rebooting, even if I am on the UG802 and not MK808, right?

I have been looking at the "Address" column in the RKAndroidTool, and it seems to have different values for the different Finless releases, could this have something to do with it?

(I know this should probably have been in the UG802 forum, but it seems to have died completely in the last weeks or so.)

Hopefully there is an easy fix, as I am dying to get this up and running!

Best
Kristoffer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!

Thank You!

Latest oleg's kernel recovery img?

Previous oleg's kernel not working USB LAN , and MK808B wifi

Thanks!

Zoli

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!

I am, extract this rootfs tar.gz and copy sdcard (root privileg) , and flash oleg kernel-marc 18.

No boot (Rebbot bootloader)

What could be the problem?

There is rootfs IMG (no tar.gz) , and latest oleg kernel recovery IMG?

(Sorry english)

Thanks!

Zoli

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am preparing a raw image dump of Justin's rootfs, so it's easier for our fellow Windows users to prepare their microSDCard, no more ext4 formatting needed

I'll be posting that image on the mirrors next to the rootfs.

Edit: Also, JustinTime4Tea just let me know he will be away for a few days and should be back soon to help you guys.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My device - rikomagic MK802 III (UG802)
with kernel 3.0.8-1080-Alok+recov.img - works
with kernel kernel-mk808-olegk0.img - not runner
sorry for my english
Does Alok's kernel work with this file AS WELL as Mali support? Does Quake work with this image? all the other GLES goodies? You're saying with this version of Picuntu it will boot using Alok kernel but make sure that GLES/EGL/SDL is working properly? Please let me know if you can run Quake/GLTron/PCSX_rearmed, if you CAN and all the Mali stuff works this is GREAT news because it means that users get the choice between TWO great kernels
What are your thoughts otherwise?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am preparing a raw image dump of Justin's rootfs, so it's easier for our fellow Windows users to prepare their microSDCard, no more ext4 formatting needed

Edit: Also, JustinTime4Tea just let me know he will be away for a few days and should be back soon to help you guys.

Cheers.
Thank you advance!

Zoli

·
Registered
7 Posts

Cheers.
Hi!

Thank you advance!

Zoli

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wish I had a UG802 to test but this should work provided that the hw is basically the same. any mention of other UG802 users having similar issue. OK last answer... time to relax. Audios Amigos!

Justin
Thanks mate,
downloading right now, can't wait to have it running!!!

G

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you advance!

Zoli
The image of the rootfs has been posted on the mirrors, check file picuntu_remix_rootfs_img.rar
Uncompress it with Winrar and use a tool such as Win32 Disk Imager to write the raw image to your SDCard.
SDCard size should be at least 8 GB.

I have also published a full update.img for the MK808 with Olegk0 kernel as recovery together with a clean Android 4.1 release for Jan. 2013.
Check file pikasty-mk808-41-20130110_olegk0_20130328_rooted.zip on the mirror as well. Flash update.img file with Rockchip Batch Tool. After it's flashed, from Android, you can use included "ArcTools" application to reboot your MK808 to recovery, which will load the Linux system.

The whole preparation procdure for the firmware and the rootfs should just take a few clicks and probably like 15 minutes (depending on your SDCard speed)
Please note that I have verified my files flashing a MK808 from scratch and everything is working fine.

I'm in the process of making a better documentation for the whole procedure.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The image of the rootfs has been posted on the mirrors, check file picuntu_remix_rootfs_img.rar
Uncompress it with Winrar and use a tool such as Win32 Disk Imager to write the raw image to your SDCard.
SDCard size should be at least 8 GB.

I have also published a full update.img for the MK808 with Olegk0 kernel as recovery together with a clean Android 4.1 release for Jan. 2013.
Check file pikasty-mk808-41-20130110_olegk0_20130328_rooted.zip on the mirror as well. Flash update.img file with Rockchip Batch Tool. After it's flashed, from Android, you can use included "ArcTools" application to reboot your MK808 to recovery, which will load the Linux system.

The whole preparation procdure for the firmware and the rootfs should just take a few clicks and probably like 15 minutes (depending on your SDCard speed)
Please note that I have verified my files flashing a MK808 from scratch and everything is working fine.

I'm in the process of making a better documentation for the whole procedure.

Cheers.
Million Thanks!

Unfortunately I have mk808b. Separate possibly only olegk0_20130328 kernel recovery.img ?

MK808B wifi does not work with: pikasty-mk808-41-20130110, therefore, I use: finless 1.7 for MK808B)

Thank you advance!

(Sorry my english)

Zoli

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just to add a testimony:

My UG802 has previously been installed with PicUntu RC 2.2. Had finless, recovery with aloksinha kernel, and so on.
I just downloaded picuntu rootfs image, saved it to a 32 GB card, resized the filesystem to 32 GB with gparted and it seems to have worked, including wireless support (8188eu).

However, 3D acceleration does not seem to be working. GLTron makes X crash, quake3 does not run and glmark2-es2 says eglInitialize() failed with error 12291. glxinfo though reports 'direct rendering: Yes' and /dev/mali exists.

I'll probably try and overwrite the recovery partition with olegk0's kernel, but I am still puzzled how, because the recovery partition of the UG802 is only 16 MB and olegk0's update.img has 254 MB in size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to add a testimony:

My UG802 has previously been installed with PicUntu RC 2.2. Had finless, recovery with aloksinha kernel, and so on.
I just downloaded picuntu rootfs image, saved it to a 32 GB card, resized the filesystem to 32 GB with gparted and it seems to have worked, including wireless support (8188eu).

However, 3D acceleration does not seem to be working. GLTron makes X crash, quake3 does not run and glmark2-es2 says eglInitialize() failed with error 12291. glxinfo though reports 'direct rendering: Yes' and /dev/mali exists.

I'll probably try and overwrite the recovery partition with olegk0's kernel, but I am still puzzled how, because the recovery partition of the UG802 is only 16 MB and olegk0's update.img has 254 MB in size.
you can use the kernel(recovery.img) provided by olegk0 My link .
It's 8MB.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts