Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
yep. the internal card is micro sd. the external one is sd. if you are installing lots of apps, then you will want to upgrade the internal one. the external one only seems to work as storage for movies, music, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name=derelicte;17265]yep. the internal card is micro sd. the external one is sd. if you are installing lots of apps' date=' then you will want to upgrade the internal one. the external one only seems to work as storage for movies, music, etc.[/QUOTE] The SDcard also stores app data for some apps. Like Beautiful Widgets and others.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ok, I'm getting greedy now. I already have a 16gb microSD installed, but cruising craigslist and seeing a 32gb SDHC for $40 has me wondering... If I pop in the SD with many gigs of music, video, etc., is it going to take forever to load everything I start the music or video player? In other words, where will the bottlenecks be for installing a large internal (micro) and large external (SDHC) card?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Most likely the speed bottlenecks are going to be the SD card that you install and how good of a card it is. Playing 'most' movies off of the device shouldn't present a problem, but just the first time having to load up 16 or 32GB of information from an SD card will most likely take a good minute or three. Most of the 32GB SDHC cards I've seen are only Class 4, with one or two in Class 6. If you want to know how fast that is, just stick the word megabytes behind it and you'll have a good guess as to how fast they are (Class - 4 MB). A-Data has a few Class 10 cards out there that really do make a huge difference in the speed, but just remember that even though an SD card is always big doesn't mean it's always fast.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
yeah. Above 4gb, class really, really matters.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I guess I just don't know how PD's media software works. I have ~2gb of songs on the internal right now, and it seems that every time I launch the music player, it takes a min or so to compile the library. Why can't it load the library once, like every other PC media player? I guess I'm just afraid that even if I get a fast card, it will try to locate 30gb of data every time I launch the player. I'd like to have a bunch of media available, but not if it will cost me 5min to launch the player every time.EDIT: For you high rollers, Sandisk's 32gb microSD is coming out at $150 - http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/sandisks-elusive-32gb-microsdhc-card-on-sale-tomorrow-at-verizo/I know it costs more than most of us paid for the PDN, but if you have to have the biggest memory card on the block....

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
48gb would be retarded... and I rarely use that word. What would a 48gb ipad cost...?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Be VERY careful when buying cheap micro-SD, SD, and USB thumb drives off of Craigslist and eBay! There are a LOT of counterfeit memory cards out there. What is a counterfeit card? It is usually a 128-256MB card where the crooks have replaced the ID of the device to read whatever huge size they want to rip you off with. You plug it into your device and it reads 16GB, 32GB, or higher, but when you attempt to write to the device it gives you and error every time. When you reformat it later, you end up with a tiny sized memory card and your bank account is a LOT lighter. If the deal seems too good to be true, then it probably is. If it's a local Craigslist deal, make sure you bring your device with you and test the card by not only booting it up, but by reading and writing to it. I'm pretty much to the point of refusing to buy a memory card off of eBay these days unless you can use a credit (not a debit) card, so you can do a charge back if you get a counterfeit card. Too many crooks on fleabay these days for me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, been there, done that, made out ok. Bought a 32gb SDHC on eBay for $20 shipped, used Paypal. Got it, used h2testw to verify, found it was only 8gb. Instantly contacted seller, told him he could replace under return policy, or I would leave bad feedback (he had stellar feedback, I don't think anyone was checking cards). At first he was going to replace, then we decided for him to just refund my money, and I wouldn't leave bad feedback. I got an 8gb SD for free, but I'm sure it has turned out worse for some others.I would def meet CL people at coffee shop and verify the card before exchanging money. Still no thoughts on load times I mentioned above?

·
Registered
116 Posts
rspray;18390 said:
(SNIP) Still no thoughts on load times I mentioned above?
I found the performance of the default music player to be unusable for anything over 10 - 15 mp3s. (Try even SCROLLING through the list).I'm using PandaHome with a different player (MixZing) and I'm perfectly happy, even with several hundred MP3s loaded on a 16gig card - it's definitely the crappy player software, not your internal card, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
link for mixzing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you guys really using the internal SD card for much? I can't stand the default Pandigital apps so I use the default musik apk for tunes and am thinking about trying to install the default gallery apk as well. I've found that the regular old android apps don't see the PD_NOVEL internal microSD card as a source for media so I don't see the point to putting in a ton of internal storage. To me, a big external SD card is the only game in town at this point unless you like the default Pandigital crapware. Questions:
  • are there "standard" android media apps that see the internal micro SD card? I know I can browse to it in astro but that doesn't count.
  • Are you seeing the Novel use the internal storage for anyhting other than media accessed from the crapware? I've seen a few commnets about using huge, high speed internal micro SD if one wants to install a bunch of apps. We have to get to froyo, 2.2, to get apps on an SD card and unless we get a custom rom pointing to the mounted PD_NOVEL, I doubt android will use anyhting other than the external SD card.

·
Registered
87 Posts
thedarkbackward;18405]The free version (which is VERY full-featured said:
http://slideme.org/application/mixzing-lite[/url].
Thank you! A very nice media program. And the link to SlideMe also!! I really like MixZing... much much nicer than the PDN native stuff.Concerning the internal SD card, I wouldn't bother going any bigger than 8gb with it. It is just going to end up with system files, program files, etc.... maybe even emails. But the big hoss will be the external card... 32gb if you can afford it would be great for it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mixzing can only look for the external SDHC card, and it cannot find the files on my internal SD. So we're stuck using the PD software unless we get an SDHC's. I think you guys were saying that above, but I wasn't getting it. There's no way to tell the programs to look for the internal memory?

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='Sung Park;19024]OK' date=' question how the heck you get the back cover off. I want to try swapping out the internal card. Anyone got video of taking the back cover off?[/QUOTE'] There are a couple of threads about this already but it is pretty simple. Just pull down from from about 2inches from the top of the device (you can see the seem). It will only move about a 1/4 inch. Then lift up. There are 2 pieces of double stick tape holding it on so it will take a bit of effort to pull it down and then left the back off.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Make sure you get 1/8 inch of sliding before you start prying. Otherwise you will break the tabs. Once you get the tape off, you won't have to pry anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.