Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with a little knowledge in welding could increase the memory, as I have seen in pictures is a memory device mark nanya,i dont know what model is.it recognize this increased memory?

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
I think there was some discussion about the possibility of expanding the memory back on the old site. I think it was concluded that it would be possible, albeit would require very good soldering skills and would rely on the device being able to recognise it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I still think that there aren't many apps that requires a lot of memory in Android - the problem is more with the number of apps we might want on the device. So with Apps2SD and swap, the memory shortage is pretty much taken care of (someone pointed out you do need a class 4 or class 6 SD card to make that workable).Plus if we use a slimmed down ROM the situation is not that bad - much easier than soldering memory chips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was the one planning to do this when my droid arrives. Ive got the tools, parts & experience to do this. You said Nanya, thats good, ive got a few nanya ram ICs in my workshop. Did you write down the rest of the part number?

·
Registered
103 Posts
[quote author=Wozzzaaa link=topic=29.msg435#msg435 date=1273905258]I was the one planning to do this when my droid arrives. Ive got the tools, parts & experience to do this. You said Nanya, thats good, ive got a few nanya ram ICs in my workshop. Did you write down the rest of the part number?[/quote]please take lot of pics of the proces
:D:D

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote author=Wozzzaaa link=topic=29.msg435#msg435 date=1273905258]I was the one planning to do this when my droid arrives. Ive got the tools, parts & experience to do this. You said Nanya, thats good, ive got a few nanya ram ICs in my workshop. Did you write down the rest of the part number?[/quote]I've got an SMD soldering iron at home so if all goes well then I may follow suit (is that the right kind of suit or is it suite? I can never remember :| )

·
Registered
15 Posts
I work in a laptop repair shop, ive got plenty of dead ram modules. Some of the individual ram IC will be fine. The best option will be to find exactly the same Nanya RAM IC, otherwise look at the datasheet & find a IC with matching speed, density, etc.The question is if the device can recognise the extra ram & also if to cut costs Eken left out some supporting stuff like pullup resistors, transistors. I cant do anything until my unit arrives, but I will look very closely & try my best to get it working.At least its not BGA package ram, which is a nuisance to work with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually maybe I was wrong. From the teardown pictures, it looks like they have the CPU & ram mounted on a DDR shaped slot. the RAM IS BGA, and the space on the back looks like for a TSSOP. Could be for a flash IC? The only way of of upgrading the ram is to change the BGA RAM IC to a bigger one, there is no spare place to put another one in.Putting a DDR ram in the slot WILL NOT WORK. I wouldnt recommend it, you might damage the ram. The small part of the connector looks like its all ground from the teardown picture.From the teardown pictures, I can see 4 spots near the M001_V05 silk screening. This could be either a JTAG interface or another internal USB port. Also I will see if the bottom connector circuitry has a USB port, that way we can tap that for an extra interbnal USB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.