Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are the odds of getting a mouse and keyboard working?

I know very little about android but have been able to follow all the instructions here to get my device running Macho ROM, Rooted, running at 800MHz, App2SD script installed and working, Remove all extra junk, solve the ____ wireless problem, and basically turn this reader into a pretty good tablet for the $119.95 I paid for it at BetsBuy.

My only wish left would be better video playback, better game performance (both I know aren't really possible but hey I can wish) and maybe mouse and keyboard so if anybody has any ideas or clues as to a path to take to achive this I'd really appreciate this.

Thanks to all for there hard work in making this a great device for the price.
IE Macho, Panda, JGM, etc.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a docking port on the side of the device, so I think you could dock one into a case with a built-in keyboard, sort of like this one http://www.amazon.com/Wacces-Leather-Cover-keyboard-Tablet/dp/B004DXF0MI but I think it would have to be designed for the Cruz or a compatible device (there are a few). Otherwise, I can't think of a way to attach an outside device to it. There are no USB ports and no bluetooth, so I don't see how it could be done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a USB port right next to the SD Card port on top of unit. It is used for connecting the Cruz to the computer.

I don't know how to have Android look for new hardware if I plug in a USB keyboard or USB mouse or USB bluetooth adapter into that port.

I've plugged all 3 into the port but nothing happens. The Cruz works fine with them plugged in but has no idea they are there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've never seen a USB device (such as a keyboard or mouse) that can connect via a mini USB port, but maybe I've gotten behind? I've only ever seen the micro or mini USB port used to connect that device to a master device. I don't believe the mini USB port, built into the device, is meant to be used for anything other than tethering the tablet to a computer. But, maybe I'm wrong?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know the mini USB is usually just a slave port and can act as a USB drive but not host a device. I was just wondering if they maybe did it different on the Cruz.

I saw a video of a ZT-180 Epad using a USB Dell Optical mouse and it sure made the device easier to use. But I went back and looked at the video and noticed it had a full size USB as well as the mini-USB. So I guess I know where they plugged the mouse in at... LOL...

·
Registered
143 Posts
'slave port', yes... that's the description I was going for.

You did say that you had the devices plugged into the mini USB port though... I guess I don't understand that statement. Do you have keyboard/mouse that WILL plug into a mini USB port? Or did you mean something else entirely?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=geekgirl70 link=topic=14468.msg116550#msg116550 date=1294712331]
'slave port', yes... that's the description I was going for.

You did say that you had the devices plugged into the mini USB port though... I guess I don't understand that statement. Do you have keyboard/mouse that WILL plug into a mini USB port? Or did you mean something else entirely?
[/quote]

I've got a kit of all kinds of adapters / gender changers / couplers for USB.

I went Mini-USB to full USB to a coupler then plugged the mouse into the coupler.

Here's a link to the kit of adapters:

Code:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=F3U149&cat=CBL

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ah, that makes sense then (and the adapters are pretty handy looking!). I'm pretty sure the mini port wasn't meant to be used in that way, so it probably will never detect the devices. You might have luck attaching a keyboard as I described earlier though... if someone makes such a device compatible with the Cruz Micro. GL

·
Registered
5 Posts
The is a substantial difference between a usb host and a usb slave. All the salve has to do is connect and send descriptors about its needs the host does the rest ..validates the descriptors assigns end points and loads a compatible driver. A short version with limited host capability is OTG( On the Go), some cameras and printers have OTG. The cruz has neither host support or OTG it is limited to playing a simple slave. The fact that it has a usb hardware connector doesn't make it a host.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts