Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can't help, but maybe you should go out and get a 32gig micro sd card! Would be great if sdcard was larger!

PS Wongsky, i'm thinking of trying the 10.1 Rom, have you tried it & what did you think of it?.... I'm happy with my Vegan Rom but I reckon ICS is a bit away and would be nice to try HC.......

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm thinking of trying the 10.1 Rom, have you tried it & what did you think of it?.... I'm happy with my Vegan Rom but I reckon ICS is a bit away and would be nice to try HC.......
Having moved from Vegantab to Flashback 10.1 a week ago there's no way I could turn back now. Although Vegntab was a bit nippier, the Gingerbread UI was just not designed for tablets and starts to feel really clunky after a while. Honeycomb is a delight to use, much slicker and Flashback 10.1 is very stable and pretty fast. Try it, you won't regret it. Of course ICS will be amazing when Fards gets it running smoothly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As to how it happened - and it's happened before, I think with an installation of either vegantab or hannstitan - is that after managing to unbrick my hannspad, and after a fresh installation of vegantab and rotations latest kernel, I started installing my apps again. And I went into the Kindle app, and whilst I realised I'd have to get it to re-download all my Amazon obtained books, all my side-loaded books should be there - 'cept they weren't.

Then I looked at the files and directories and realised what had happened (and in fairness, I recognised it) - it's not so much the Android OS is now natively using my 32GB micrsdhc card - it isn't, but the mounting order has changed - so the main storage is mounted as sdcard2 - but the OS is using that as it's storage. My microsdhc card is now mounted as sdcard. Now the OS is OK, I think it's just some apps that are confused - perhaps they have some paths embedded that pointed to previous mount points (like sdcard2) which (eg the Kindle app) now have empty directories.

I'm not resistant to honeycomb - but in general, I'm much more of a form over function - so the flashiness of the honeycomb UI is appealing, but my main interest is speed, the functions I need, and stability.
I have gone for the 10.1 Rom and am currently restoring apps via titanbackup.

I'm with Wongsky on the form over function, but vegan was starting to feel clunky to me so if I can get 10.1 running sweet (i'm hoping the build.prop tweaks I had will make a difference.) then it could lead to an overall improvement in form and function.

Previously I tried the HC Roms but they did not cut it for me, Vegan is the current king but here comes a new challenger.......

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can honestly say I don't miss the blazing speed of vegantab too much. FB 10.1 seems plenty fast, requires no modding or themeing like VT does, and has all the same if not more functionality.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My early impressions are good, boot time considerably lower, I'll time it but it must be around 40 seconds or lower.

I did manage to get stuck in a bootloop on my 1st install, I was too aggressive with the build.prop changes, restored and went about things more carefully.

Applications > Running services showing 76 used 234 free

Iplayer via Opera Mobile played fine.

I use Rock player for AVI's no HW decoding but software Coding fine. (check out Rockplayer its a great little app).

In the build.prop

Adjusted the vm.heapsize down from 256 to 72 (I may try to lower this further)

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150

debug.sf.hw=1 (already present!)

persist.tegra.dpy5.mode.width=1024
persist.tegra.dpy5.mode.height=600 (yet to try HDMI out but Im sure this will be fine).

Currently happy, no major drawbacks, the text on web pages is displayed smaller.

Navigating around the UI feels fast enough eighty - ninety % of Vegan speeds, i.e. not too shabby and the app draw feels faster/smoother.

I've never had SOD (Vol+ and power always got me back). I'll let you know if I have any probs of that nature.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Update

Fully loaded up with apps, boot time gone up now about 1 min 20 and then some to load the apps2sd but ui is snappy, im using a live wallpaper. We`ll see but for now i will run this rom.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad you got it sorted!

Sorry to hijack your thread and turn it into a Vegan v FB 10.1 thread:

The more I play with FlashBack 10.1 & as I have loaded more apps. I have noticed it start to feel more sluggish. For sure its the best HC Rom but it does lack something in pace compared to gingerbread.

I'm still tweaking so may yet get it working as well, but I'm not sure FB is the match if lighting fast Vegan.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That doesn't immediately put me off - I don't tend to load an ever-increasing amount of apps - in fact, truth be told, whilst I may try the odd new app, I tend to cull them every so often.

Main things I want are Kindle app, MX and Mobo players (although tend to normally use MX player), iPlayer and ITV player, BBC News widget, and some kind of weather widget - after that, really, Dolphin browser and Firefox. Don't really add much more than that, really - certainly not ever increasing numbers of apps.
I'm using Vegan Tab, waiting for ICS from local hero Fards, and feeling like I should be playing with Honeycomb in the meantime, IF I can get a HC Rom that won't stop me from watching Iplayer, Youtube, with stable wifi and running most functions. Do you know what Flash Version should be used on Flashback 10.1? On Vegan Tab you need 10.3. Is there anyhthing that's made you feel moving to Flashback was a mistake or something you really missed from Vegan tab?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Right now, the only problem I have (stability is fine, WiFi is fine, MX player and Mobo player seem fine for local video) is iPlayer.

I tried the market version of flash, which completely didn't work. I then went back to 10.3 and tried using the stock browser (I think it's chrome on flashback 10.1) and the specific version of opera that's noted as being OK with flash. In stock cpu performance (ie not overclocked) iplayer doesn't work well enough to be watchable, so far.

The iplayer app doesn't work at all - it redirects to a webpage saying device / phone isn't supported.
Cheers for the heads up. Iplayer is a must have on a Tablet so until that works I'm sticking with Vegantab. It's a shame. I don't buy a tablet not to have Iplayer. I am unaware as to any solution...
Apologies for the thread hijack!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I may well end up reverting, too - might go with the latest stock update, rooted, then add market.

Flashback 10.1 truly is a thing of beauty, and does perform well, in terms of general use of the tablet I can understand why everybody raves over it.

Truth be told, though, although I've been hugely impressed, there's some must haves for me. My last installation of vegantab was full of irritations and frustrations, so I may well look at the stock rom - at least there's hardware acceleration, there - and for everybody who thinks that's trivial, I'm starting to disagree.
Well while we wait like ravenous wolves for ICS, I think that sounds like a plan. Any quick links to the Stock download and market update? Do you have to unroot first?

·
Registered
91 Posts
OK, I've gone back to the stock rom, with the latest update (that should be available either OTA, or by download from Hannspree's website).

Rooted it with z4root (basically, download an apk, copy it on to the hannspad, follow the instructions for a permanent root).

After that, I followed these instructions to get the market on there (has links, and is a translation of a german page - you need root, you'll also need to mount /system as read/write whilst you copy the 2 apks for the market to /system/app - es file explorer allows you to do that, once you're rooted - I'd maybe download a latter than stock (for the Hannspad) version of es file explorer before you do that, though. The stock version of es file explorer mithered about whether I was running one of two specific roms for root access, whereas later versions didn't.

Once that's done, you should be rooted and have market.

Now accepting that 6039 has improved things for the Hannspad, it's not as nice to look at as either vegantab or the honeycomb roms. That said, it most definitely has hardware acceleration. The iplayer app works right from the get-go / download from the market. And performs perfectly. Not tried iplayer through a browser, yet.

I normally download mx and mobo players from the market (when you run them, they go and get the appropriate codec pack). MX player, for the first time I've run it, allows hardware acceleration for video playback.

If video playback is important to you, then I'd have to say, running the stock rom, rooted, with market and apps available, seems to be a very good substitute for the more flashier looking tablet OSs.
Thanks man. Presume I have to NVFlash back to unrooted stock first? Once I know that, I may give it a go. Never gone back to stock before from rooted ROMS.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Its an Interesting option.

Stock with a custom Launcher (Zeam, or Go Launcher) & HW Accel must at least match the mighty VeganTab ROM; you would think it must be better.

My HC Rom is running pretty sweet, Iplayer plays via Opera O.K. fairly low res and Rock player plays avi's very smoothly.

A couple of questions if I may.....

Can I update the stock ROM With CWM?
(I have a CWM backup of the HC Rom fully loaded so pretty easy to revert to HC if I fancy.)

Would you mind installing one of the Launchers off the Market? (if not APKTOP is a great source of APK's)

I'm also wondering what product the tablet is reported as in the build.prop? (ro.product.manufacturer & ro.product.model)

What Android version is stock?

Cheers,

J.

·
Registered
161 Posts
From what your saying for those that demand he acceleration for video playback then this definately an alternative to hanstitan.

And a guide that isn't gerglish (Google German to English) would be apreiciated!!

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.