Android Tablets Forum banner

M003 PCB pics!

12K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  mogrith 
#1 ·
Nothing much to tear down. All is pretty much in plain sight.If you want to take a look yourself: There are two screws on the top, behind the (too shiny) plastic layer. Use long fingernails or a credit card/small knife to get the plastic up a bit at the edges, and peel it back a bit. (Don't bend it too much, or it could fold.)Two more screws are on the bottom edge. That's all. When they're out, flex the unit a small bit, and it comes loose with ease.Click for larger format.The small wifi PCB is RT3070 802.11G, which appears to be USB. It's sticky-tape heaven and also the sub board is held in place with double sided tape.There seems to be a second USB port at the top, and a hole (for a USB camera at the top). Edit: I can confirm it works, since i moved the wireless sub board connector to it, and it works as well on that port :)My version has no USB camera. There's plenty of room there for maybe some other stuff like a hub or bluetooth.(I think there's UVC video camera support in the OS but i'd need to dump the rom contents first.)I took more pictures, but i think this covers all there is to see in technical matters.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've screwed it back to together, and am looking into dumping full roms contents into SD by software, so i don't need to solder the serial port to it.I'm assuming the update for the M001 worked, and only your screen size is messed up right ?Did you see the updater messages correctly ? Or were those screwed up ?(I'm modifying the update, so it dumps the rom content to SD.. praying the SD is mounted read-write..)

G
#4 ·
The m001 update work perfect, no errors at all its only the screen size that was wrong. its like you se the screen twice. and the calibration is wrong, you have to touch the screen, 1 cm under the icon. im out for the weekend, so hope You have luck with the dump. A friend of mine who have an m001, think the m003 is much nicer
so if i get it to work he wants to exchange with me.Claus

#7 ·
[quote author=speedfreak link=topic=310.msg2769#msg2769 date=1275051569]look like there is much space left to put a bigger battery in that thing![/quote]dang, there's space for a huge battery upgrade there! at least double the capacity

#8 ·
Is the memory chip next to the cpu a NT5TU64M16DG-AC (I can barely read it)? If it is, that makes it a 1Gbit (128GB). The AC at the end, speed = DDR2-800-5-5-5 SDRAM.Also - this thing looks very hackable ;D, I wonder why they chose to attach the CPU using a daughter-board - considering the extra cost of the connector?

#11 ·
Personally, i think both ekens are not worth it at this point.The cpu is really too slow, and build quality is low. The plastic layer comes loose after time, battery life is crap. There's no way this is going to run 2.1 or flash, or YouTube decently. It's basically a toy to fool around with untill something better comes along.The Apad and/or other rockchip based devices are a lot better.The Wondermedia-based devices to me, are just 'photoframes' which also run Android inside. Just wait a bit, and these things will get faster and stay affordable. In 2-3 months, surely some better alternatives will be available from China

#13 ·
[quote author=Asure link=topic=310.msg3446#msg3446 date=1275242978]. . . It's basically a toy to fool around with untill something better comes along.The Apad and/or other rockchip based devices are a lot better.The Wondermedia-based devices to me, are just 'photoframes' which also run Android inside. Just wait a bit, and these things will get faster and stay affordable. In 2-3 months, surely some better alternatives will be available from China
[/quote]That is exactly the point. The apad etc cost about $70 -$100 more, and they are definitely not worth it (ARM 11). Believe me, I have one.

#14 ·
They're both playthings to have & fool around with. But not really production quality hardware.
That is exactly the point. The apad etc cost about $70 -$100 more, and they are definitely not worth it (ARM 11). Believe me, I have one.
The Apad with rockchip looks pretty decent in the normal (non-speed up) videos. It's not ?For these prices i'm not expecting a blazing fast tablet pc. But right now the sellers are just milking the market..For a cheap Asus eee x86 laptop, you could pay around $199But for a much slower cpu, less ram & touchscreen people are paying $160 on Ebay. Normally, when you leave out a lot of plastic, ram, usb ports & a physical keyboard (not to mention the Windows license and internal 160gb hdd) things tend to get a lot cheaper.

#15 ·
[quote author=Asure link=topic=310.msg3588#msg3588 date=1275293541]They're both playthings to have & fool around with. But not really production quality hardware.
That is exactly the point. The apad etc cost about $70 -$100 more, and they are definitely not worth it (ARM 11). Believe me, I have one.
The Apad with rockchip looks pretty decent in the normal (non-speed up) videos. It's not ?For these prices i'm not expecting a blazing fast tablet pc. But right now the sellers are just milking the market..For a cheap Asus eee x86 laptop, you could pay around $199But for a much slower cpu, less ram & touchscreen people are paying $160 on Ebay. Normally, when you leave out a lot of plastic, ram, usb ports & a physical keyboard (not to mention the Windows license and internal 160gb hdd) things tend to get a lot cheaper.[/quote]Cheapest apad on ebay.com is $199 with free shipping. The $160 ones are actually eken m001's mislabeled as apads
At least that was the case yesterday. I bought one here http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/moonse-e7001-7-2gb-gsensor-720p-wifi-android-webcam-p-281.html for $185 plus $30 shipping (N. America), although it is re-branded as a Moonse E7001.So far I have bought a smartq 7, a wits a81, a Moonse E7001, a P68 tablet, a x10 mid and an eken m003(in transit). They all match the saying 'you get what you pay for' and most ended up on ebay so I could buy an iPad, which in my opinion is the best value right now if you have the cash. Funny thing is, the tablet I really USE is a dilapidated HP TC1100 tablet, circa 2003, which with windows 7 on it has a new breath of life, and cost me $175 on ebay. It will play movies (just, up to 720p with some glitches), but has the best digitizer in the world (wacom), although you do have to use a special stylus, the handwriting recognition is truly amazing. :DSo I guess I am agreeing with you - we should all wait, if we actually want to use one of these things

#20 ·
Zuber5, can you tell me how the smartq 7 did for you? I like that it boots over 4 different OS. I'm waiting on the M001, but if the M003 does have 800x600 resolution I'll be purchasing that one. Seems that 800x600 resolution is closer to PDF reader size. Most of my PDF library is color and standard 8x11 sheet size. So I'm thinking the M003 will me a low cost color PDF/ebook reader, similar to SmartQ R7 but half the price. How would you compare M001 to the SmartQ 7. Since the SmartQ is double the price, should be a big difference? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote name='tron33;7454]Zuber5' date=' can you tell me how the smartq 7 did for you? I like that it boots over 4 different OS. I'm waiting on the M001, but if the M003 does have 800x600 resolution I'll be purchasing that one. Seems that 800x600 resolution is closer to PDF reader size. Most of my PDF library is color and standard 8x11 sheet size. So I'm thinking the M003 will me a low cost color PDF/ebook reader, similar to SmartQ R7 but half the price. How would you compare M001 to the SmartQ 7. Since the SmartQ is double the price, should be a big difference? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.[/QUOTE']The smartq 7 was slow and could not play videos very well. I did not load android on it so it is difficult to compare to the m003 /1. However, I would say it is in the same league. I gave up and bought a witstech A81 because it has a cortex A8 cpu (similar the iPhone) because of 'positive' review from some idiot at a site that will remain nameless. That is another story. There is a new smartq that replaces the smartq 7 the v7, based on the telechips 8901 cpu so it can now play videos but I did not get one as it is still ARM11 based. Google 'smartq forum' to see discussions on it- it is likely much better than the m003.I suspect the apad is slightly better than the smartq v7 I and it is cheaper. I sold mine and bought an iPAD, which is the best tablet I have tried so far excepting my HP1100 which is what I am using right now!.BTW, the m003 has the same resolution screen as the M001, it is just slightly bigger.

#26 ·
Darn, deal breaker. Almost everyone claimed it has 800x600 resolution, but being like M001 at 800x480 I'm not interested. I'll be searching for a low cost tablet that has 800x600 resolution. After waiting 32 days, I finally got my Eken M001. Screen is cracked, so upset. RMA and return for replacement. Zuber5 would your benchmark the webbrowser on your tablets and post the scores? http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.htmlhttp://jsbenchmark.celtickane.com/http://bit.ly/brmarkhttp://www.craftymind.com/guimark/thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.