Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I got an M001 that I'm writing it off as a lost cause. Before I buy something better I want to know what the users here think is advisable. The easiest way to do this is to bitch a bit about the M001 and then explain what I am looking for.It took about two weeks to scroll for the first time on the M001. It's still a pain even after calibrating and loading SlateDroid firmware. The accelerometer doesn't work consistently, so the thing doesn't orient the screen correctly automatically (I hate the default landscape mode). The little rotate icon that one of the settings gave me worked, but disappears at least once a day, requiring that I change the settings to get it back, and there's no mode setting that consistently produces the rotate icon. The USB slave/host port issue is a problem. I did the cable mods suggested here, but the thing still refuses to recognize any USB device. And so on and so on...There are two things I want to use it for. First, an ebook reader. My biggest problem with this is the scrolling mechanism, even when it works. It's impossible to get lost in a book when every 30 seconds you have to raise your arm up in front of your body like an orchestra conductor and make a dramatic gesture, scraping your fingernail across the screen, to turn a page. With a real book you can turn pages unconsciously. Is there an ebook capable tablet out there with real "turn the page" buttons, or at least icons? Color and high resolution would be nice, but that's probably too much to hope for. I'm looking at a "Nook" for this, but I need input from someone who actually owns one. I can't even tell from it's online description if any of the built-in buttons are for page turning.Second, I'd like a tablet that I can attach an external USB keyboard and mouse, and a screen to, and start word processing. I suspect the external screen is too much to hope for, but the external keyboard and mouse are a must, as is a good WP like Word. I'd be happy with something that has no built-in screen of it's own, just a battery, some memory, a cpu a graphics port and a usb port in a little box, but I don't think they make anything like that. Is there a tablet that comes close? I'm thinking of the Eken M003, but after my experiences with the M001, I'm not trusting of the brand.thanks,t

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Ask Lawman , I think he has a Pandigital and a Nook. He seems to love them both although not equally. I think he is a Official Pandiginut

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Wait a couple of more weeks I think. How about a screen size and layout of the M003 instead of 128MB Ram 315Mhz CPU a 256Meg 800mhz CPU & Gpu.See http://www.slatedroid.com/blogs/dig...tbook-telechip-8902-released-view-photos-113/while the pictures are of 7" 16x9 he does mention an 8" I should have good specs on these shortly. Don't know of an android based word processor. just notepad level stuff.Would google docs work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thinker;I do agree with the g-sensor issues. I do seem to have issues with it about 40-50% of the time. That being said, reading ebooks and comics on the device has been fine for me. I have used Aldiko as the epub reader, which I can configure the volume +/- to change pages. ACV can also be configured in a similar manner and allows the page turns to be done with the volume hard keys. Finally, as a word processor, the official firmwares for the M001 does come with documents to go. Within that package the word application leaves a little to be desired, but it is more than functional. I have not found any other word processors, as I'd rather sit on the PC than try to type a whole document on a tablet.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Mogrith is right - your best bet may be to wait a few weeks. The cruz looks promising, and I harp every chance I get that in a few months everything out now will be obsolete.The nook is a great ereader for ereading. Period. It plays music, but video is beyond it, word processing is exceedingly unlikely, and I'm not aware of any effort to put a keyboard on it. There are redundant hardware page buttons for both directions on both sides. It also allows page turns by "swipe" on the touchscreen when the touchscreen is powered down.The PDN is great, and proving increasingly versatile, but it's getting a lot of attention from a lot of people to get it there. No page turn buttons, but it's fairly sensitive to page swipes - I do it with my thumb without moving my hand. Available for just over $100, it's even better priced than a nook wifi, and waaaay more capable. Then again, I am the head pandiginut. I fully inform everyone that it has issues and isn't perfect, and also that it's going to be obsolete before too long.The augen is sold with a dongle that is supposed to allow a keyboard attachment, but I'm not clear whether it works yet, and they're still updating the fw on that device (as on the pdn) to get everything functioning. I am really, really not impressed with the build quality, and even if I were, I can't find the damn thing anywhere.I think the reader apk you're using may be part of the problem -- aldiko, for instance, allows page turns on a tap.Frankly, what you want is a netbook. Readily available in this price range, and fully capable of everything you want on a device. tablets are the hot thing, but they're not all the way there yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.