Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I figured I'd post a new thread because the main one is getting pretty clobbered. And it's put in a subforum for a reason, right?!?I lost the internal flash drive/partition. The one you're supposed to format for this ROM to fully work.As per instructions I formatted it before the flash but ended up with 0 free space on it. Formatted it again, no change.Then I formatted it from my Mac using Disk Util. As far as I know this should be a plain MS-Dos FAT32 format but something must have gone wrong.Anybody have a clue where to find it and how to fix this? Been searching with "adb shell" but it's not in any place I expect it from my linux experience. And even if I'd find the device/partition, how to format it from the shell?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone in the other thread gave the tip to remove the SD card before connecting but that didn't help unfortunately.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I lost it too after formatting it with gparted under Linux and creating a new partition layout on it. I think the problem is that Macs will create a whole partition layout on the flash partition, but this is overkill, as it is not a whole drive but just a partition, so it needs to be treated like large floppy disk. Having a partition layout there seems to upset the parts in the aPad rom that show the partitions to the OS.For the command line-savvy: Format /dev/sdx with fat32, not /dev/sdx1The solution is to destroy this "wrong" partition table. It should be possible to just format the drive through adb, but I did not manage to do it. Any help is appreciated. Also, if anyone knows how to format this from update-script, please tell me.The workaround I used: Flash an old rom with the old partition layout (This is any rom except 5.1 and xaueious stuff). This should give you back an unformatted drive when plugged in, so format it fat32 (I guess most people best use Windows for this), copy a large file on the freshly formatted drive to overwrite the wrong partition table that sits somewhere around the 300 mb line, reflash my 5.1 release and format again. Now everything should be usable.I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I will try to figure out how to do it from adb / update-script.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aaarghh... I wish I could flash this from a non windows environment. I only have a Mac and a Hackintosh. I tried to get my first flash going from XP in VMWare and Virtual Box but somehow the device isn't recognized in the virtual environment to get the initial driver installed. Now I have to hi-jack my daughters laptop again tomorrow morning...sigh

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is your host environment? I just can't get my VB XP install to recognize the pad to install the driver (you know, the boot while holding menu bit)I see the usb icon on VB respond quickly and then a whole lot of nothing...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote name='rogerbraun;14770]The solution is to destroy this "wrong" partition table. It should be possible to just format the drive through adb' date=' but I did not manage to do it. Any help is appreciated. Also, if anyone knows how to format this from update-script, please tell me.[/QUOTE']Which device is it? I mean where can I find the drive from adb? I think we should be able to format it with the tools in busybox but I don't know which it is. Could it be one of the /dev/block/* ones?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I flashed mine from official 530 to 5.1, which mean the partition size changed, right? Well I flashed mine without a micro-SD card, and after the first boot, it went into a "recovery screen" since it couldn't find any system space (no micro-SD card). It then proceeded to format the internal memory automatically and rebooted fine. Only then did I put back my memory card.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote name='nyarrgh;15332]I flashed mine from official 530 to 5.1' date=' which mean the partition size changed, right? Well I flashed mine without a micro-SD card, and after the first boot, it went into a "recovery screen" since it couldn't find any system space (no micro-SD card). It then proceeded to format the internal memory automatically and rebooted fine. Only then did I put back my memory card.[/QUOTE'] The "recovery screen" and formatting of several partitions after a flash is standard. Not because your SD card wasn't present. (sd card isn't touched at all)I think that if you check under "Settings" -> "SD Card & MID Storage" -> "Internal Flash Storage" you'll find "Available Space = 0". Which means you still have to format it.The device works, but you can't download anything thru the standard browser for instance (among other limitations)If so, format it under Windows or else you'll end up as described in this thread.(although directly from linux shell should work too)

·
Registered
13 Posts
[quote name='McMadd;16726]The "recovery screen" and formatting of several partitions after a flash is standard. Not because your SD card wasn't present. (sd card isn't touched at all)I think that if you check under "Settings" -> "SD Card & MID Storage" -> "Internal Flash Storage" you'll find "Available Space = 0". Which means you still have to format it.The device works' date=' but you can't download anything thru the standard browser for instance (among other limitations)If so, format it under Windows or else you'll end up as described in this thread.(although directly from linux shell should work too)[/QUOTE'] Actually it works fine. It's showing 8GB free (was 16GB) since I have put in lots of movies and books already. I'm currently using my microSD somewhere else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've flashed the 5.1 upgrade and it seems to be working fine - but I can't do the formatting the partition thing... when I plug it in to my PC, with it switched on and press mount my PC doesn't show any new drives in 'my computer'. I'm on XP and the ROM flashing went fine - any tips on how to get the PC to recognise it so I can 'do what needs to be done' with the partition?

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote name='hopefulfool;23410]I've flashed the 5.1 upgrade and it seems to be working fine - but I can't do the formatting the partition thing... when I plug it in to my PC' date=' with it switched on and press mount my PC doesn't show any new drives in 'my computer'. I'm on XP and the ROM flashing went fine - any tips on how to get the PC to recognise it so I can 'do what needs to be done' with the partition?[/QUOTE'] I am having the same issue here. Shows both drives as having "No Media" I did the flash to the original 5.3, got a 1 gb partition. Formated it. copied a 500 mb file. Then reinstalled 5.2 and get the same message. Removable Media with "No Media"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi-
I recently bricked my aPad and was able to recover it using hucqim80's wonderful "needle trick".
After re-flashing, my internal memory was lost, too.
I'm using Ubuntu linux, and when I hooked it up via USB, the pad was recognized but I could only see the microSD card. However, I fired up the linux "disk utility" in the System > Administration menu, and it showed two drives in the aPad. I simply reformatted the internal memory using FAT, and poof, the aPad recognized it.

Hope this helps someone.

-C

·
Registered
11 Posts
Please help, Flashing my Apad went on well but the internal flash memory says "0". I tried formating it, but it said "No Media Found on Device". My Camera won't work because of this and I can't even download anything from my browser.

What should I do?

AndroiMan -- I-Robot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all,
I have similar problem,the internal storage in my apad shows 0 and in windows 7 ,in disk management it shows no media found and this is simila in ubuntu.
I have apad RK Batch 2.
This guy "http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/13936-loosing-internal-flash-storage-on-apad-rk2808-batch3-solved/page__gopid__203875#entry203875" has solved this problem but i cannot follow his steps.
Plz help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.