Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for someone who has a virgin Novel to check some things. If anyone has a OOB or otherwise non-hacked unit I think it would be useful to have you check a couple of functions to see how it works. If we had a list of bugs that we want tested on virgin Novels it may help pinpoint what is broken. I guess it would be a good idea to have a checklist to go through after each upgrade too. My list:- How long after screen time-out does the unit go into sleep mode.- When you slide & hold the power sw., how long must it be held for the pop-up to stay on screen. (mine goes to sleep if I release the switch too soon after the pop-up appears) - When unit is induced to sleep mode (Pwr sw slide) Does it stay asleep.- When the unit enters sleep mode by timing out, does it stay asleep. Please add any bugs you need tested & maybe we can keep up with the fix-it, break-it history of the upgrades.Cheers,kev

·
Registered
29 Posts
We bought 2 white Novel's. One is OEM, the other just got the hack. We need to learn a lot about using the hacked one before we do both. Still trying to figure out what the command line is and where it is found.- How long after screen time-out does the unit go into sleep mode. Right away...- When you slide & hold the power sw., how long must it be held for the pop-up to stay on screen. (mine goes to sleep if I release the switch too soon after the pop-up appears). About 1 second.- When unit is induced to sleep mode (Pwr sw slide) Does it stay asleep? Yes but a couple of times I have seen it wake up on it's own.- When the unit enters sleep mode by timing out, does it stay asleep. Yes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks so much NASAtim. Your results show that mine is working as it was OOB. Comforting in some way, but not in others. I could swear that mine used to sit with the screen sleeping for a while before the unit going to sleep. If I can clarify, when I say the screen times out, I mean that the screen goes dark (except you can usually see the display very faintly) & it can be awakened with a screen tap. Sleep mode means that the screen & unit is totally off & it takes a pwr. sw. slide to awaken it. (For the sake of this discussion, as I don't want to get into sleep vs hibernation here) So, yours stays asleep if it goes to sleep by itself it stays asleep. Interesting. IMO It should work like this; 2 - 10 min. screen timeout & 20 - 30 min. system sleep. Times user selectable, but the idea is that the screen would dim to save battery & still be available by just a touch & if the unit sits a lot longer it should shut down & go to sleep mode. CMD line,Win XP: Start - Run - CMD type DOS commands.Vista: type CMD in the Run dialog box Thanks,kev

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you say "Times user selectable, but the idea is that the screen would dim to save battery & still be available by just a touch & if the unit sits a lot longer it should shut down & go to sleep mode." you are correct. Ours will time out and the screen backlight turns off to save battery. A tap on the screen will turn the backlight on and the cycle repeats. After an extended time of not being used, (we have never timed it), the unit turns off, requiring a power switch cycle to turn it back on.CMD Line: Using XP... Thanks! I will now need to figure out the syntax but that will come soon... hopefully!

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK, then that confirms my suspicion that the screen time-out to unit sleep interval is broken. OOB the PDN after idling for the user set interval the screen goes dark & after an extended idle period the unit goes into sleep mode. With the 7/24 firmware mine & others here do the screen time-out & 3 seconds later the unit goes into sleep mode. This is annoying. as you end up having to set the screen time-out longer to make it functional, but more importantly, it may be related to the reported unattended waking from sleep & subsequent nocturnal battery drain. I have to set up a better control, but I have not seen the unattended awakening during the day, but I may not be waiting long enough. I have even covered the sensor to simulate night, thinking that it is a gremlin that is nocturnal. ;) Maybe it knows when we are sleeping! :eek:Cheers,kev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.