1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
DO NOT GET ANYTHING WITH AN ARM PROCESSOR. Unless it's the Eken M001, which has a relatively large developer base behind it - otherwise they're all extremely slow and, well, crap.I would get either the aPad (or something with a Rockchip processor), or if your budget will stretch a Pandigital Novel (recently hacked here). The advantage about the Rockchip processor is it has an extra processor for DSP (digital signal processing) which means it is much faster at decoding video etc.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
If you could spare the extra $9.99 then here is an aPad for you to look at> http://www.merimobiles.com/Moonse_E7001_android_tablet_pc_Google_Market_p/meri0396.htmYou can find them cheaper in other places, but you should be very wary buying these things because quite often the sellers have no idea about what they're selling and market it as something else.When you've decided what to get, post it here and confirm with other users it is what it says it is. I'd also check out the Marketplace section to see if anyone's selling theirs, being a friendly community they're very often a considerable amount cheaper than off t'internet. If you can't find one, perhaps post something in the Wanted section in Market.Hope this helps.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
It might be worth waiting a few days, posting something in the Wanted forum and see what pops up. That way you know that what you're getting is in good condition, and is actually the model you wanted. Members usually chuck in stuff with it like memory cards etc.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
The Rockchip devices cost more and most people here agree it is worth it. But if you can't afford it you just have to lower your expectations of what your pad will be able to do.Mainly forget video. you may be able to get low res low bitrate limited codec stuff to play but don't bother. If you want video you don't want this CPU.If you want to read ebooks, email, web browse w/o flash, show pictures etc. it's ok.If you can collect a few more bucks and pay the extra money do it.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
mogrith;23201 said:
Mainly forget video. you may be able to get low res low bitrate limited codec stuff to play but don't bother. If you want video you don't want this CPU.
He's referring to ARM processors by the way, Rockchips are fairly capable as far as video goes.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Apologies, I actually said that don't go for anything ARM based, you'll find all tablets are ARM-based. What I meant was don't go for anything with a VIA processor. Anyways, back to your question. If you want a tablet with Android 2.1 then I would recommend a Wistech A81 (several members including myself have one). I'll be writing a review for it sometime in the future.In terms of upgrading the aPad to 2.1 there exists a fundamental flaw. That is that the developers have scrapped plans to release the update and so it falls upon the developers here at SlateDroid to do this. The problem is that the manufacturers will not release the source code (they are actually legally obliged to), without this it will be very hard to get the upgrade.So in short, it's not available now, but they're working like beavers on trying to get it working.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So in short, it's not available now, but they're working like beavers on trying to get it working.[/QUOTE] As a windows amature developer, i understand how hard it is to release w/o the source. i guess 1.5 should be ok for me. Thanks for all of the info and feed back, this seems to be a great community!

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
I'm just trying to make up for the lack of online members, usually we have online 250+ at a time. It's quite possible that 2.1 will come to the Eken M001 before it hits the aPad as some of our members have been able to keep contact channels open with VIA and are pressuring them to release source.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.