Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
List of tested MODs.

This topic is about successful tested modifications. Let's gather some useful mods here.
If there are enough collected, someone can build them into a stable firmware version. I'll might do it myself, if I can test a firmware by booting it from the external SDCard. But for the time being let' s just begin with a collection.

To keep things well-arranged, please post your modifications with this basic information

Mod: <name of your mod>
Firmware: <version you tested it on>
Requirement: <leave blank, if there ain't any>
Description: <what is it for>

HOWTO: <how do you do it>

If you want, you can add further points to it, but this five basic infos are mandatory.
I'll then link to your post with the howto of the mod, if it at least get one vote from another user.

Thanks & happy modding!

1. softkey to hardkey remapping -> #post
  2. ???

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mod: "softkey to hardkey remapping"
Firmware: 0701 (new gen)
File: View attachment qwerty.kl.zip ; SHA1: e39bd6cb92d7363fef392fec4493038908d221f4
Requirement
: rooted; adb
Description:
Disable the touch keys and remap them to the hard keys. The attached file "qwerty.kl" has this mappings:
Code:
VOL- : menu/settings<br />
VOL+ : home<br />
POWER: back<br />
By a long press onto to the POWER button you're still able to force shutdown or unlock the tablet (by a short press).
But to lock the device or control the volume you have to use a third party App. That's the trade-off by getting rid of the softkeys, which I to often hit on by accident. And they're unusable in the dark anyway.

I tested this Apps (see attached pic for illustration):
  • "Widgetsoid by jaumard v3.2.4" for screen locking and volume control
  • "Screen Off and Lock by Katecca v1.9.9" for screen locking
  • "Quick Boot by Sirius Applications Ltd. v4.1" for power-off
Witgetsoid would be complete, if the reboot actually does work.
World Font Screenshot Tree Operating system

HOWTO:

1. Install the App of your choice to control screen locking or the volume.
2. unzip "qwerty.kl.zip"
3. copy "qwerty.kl" to "/system/usr/keylayout/" (If you're being extra careful, you should back it up first.)
a. connect via USB and execute "adb push qwerty.kl /system/usr/keylayout/"
b. Alternatively you can do the copy and overwrite the file from the external SDCard with RootExplorer or TerminalShell. But I didn't test this approach though.
4. reboot

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're welcome. At least it's useful to someone other than me. So I take it as a vote for it than? ....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Something for the creative minds ...

Mod: "simple UI mod"
Firmware: 0701 (new gen)
File: framework-res.apk (dir -> /system/framework/)
URL
: UOT Kitchen
Requirement
: rooted; adb
Description:
The easy click and shoot way to customize your tablets basic user interface. Refer to the following pictures as some examples what you can do with this great little tool.
1. lock screen
Personally I like the stock one more.

Product Font Line Adaptation Asphalt

2. status bar and icons
World Biome Font Tree Woody plant

3. blue divider in black menu
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Technology

4. loading indicator (here yin yang chosen)
Rectangle Screenshot Slope Line Font

5. popup menu and green divider in white menu
Computer Rectangle Font Tree Operating system

6. notification area with some personal touch

Rectangle Font Line Slope Screenshot

HOWTO:
  1. Get the file from your device:
    Code:
    adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk
  2. Go to the kitchen and cook up your UI. Watch the video, which shows you to do the basic steps. Here are only some essential hints:
    * Under "File upload" select "System files" radio button and upload the file. At this point you should also download your settings. It'll be handy next time, if you want to juice up your meal or cook a new one for a new released firmware.
    * Click on the "Summary" tab and check your recipe.
    * Submit it. You'll get a ticket number. Remember or copy it.
    * Wait until your meal is ready for consumption. If it takes to long, you can click on "Show all pickup files" and search for the ticket you've gotten before.
  3. Download your file.
  4. Pull framework-res.apk from the zip archive.
  5. Clear dalviks cache:
    Code:
    adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
  6. Copy the cooked apk to the tablet:
    Code:
    adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/
    Just ignore the error messages and force reboot the device.
  7. Enjoy your masterpiece.

EDIT: ... some more eyecandy ...
If you couldn't withstand the temptation to also cook the bootanimation, then fear not, you can actually use it as it was purposely meant to be. Try this:
Code:
adb push system/customize/resource/bootanimation.zip /system/media
But my tablet is to fast at booting ... I can't really enjoy the new Honeycomb splash screen ... kekeke

If the tool makes you happy ... please donate!

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is ... and you'll appreciate it even more, if you've tried to do it yourself. The 9png patcher nightmares will spoil the fun and haunt you for sure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all. i just ordered myself a rena3 and was wondering a bit about the firmware.
i see there is a lot of talk about the 2.2 android firmware and there seems to be no update out for 2.3 or 3.0.

So after browsing the web a bit i came across this mod called cyanogen.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

its an customized update to Android 2.3.4 but its not made for rena3. i was wondering tho if there is any chance it could be compatible with the rena3.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No chance right now. Things may change, if one of the major players releases a tablet based on the Renesas reference design.
But the main problem will still stay the same: No source => Only restricted modifications available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two Key Missing components.

I had one of these Tablet for about two weeks now and overall I have to say that I'm pleased with the performance. I have been able to root and install just about everything I need.
Still... I have to say that there are two key missing components, OpenVPN and PROXY. Is there any way for us to get proxy software like TRANSPROXY and OpenVPN going on these tablets? I have already installed the OpenVPN program from the Market but it complains abut not having TUN.

The firmware updates may me desirable by many but I'm just looking for functionality.

Regards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts