Android Tablets Forum banner
121 - 123 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi everyone-

I am sorry to bump this topic but I found it while searching the internet and it's very relevant to me-

I hope to give you my background info without boring you too much- basically after several years using Net10 and most of them w/o a decent phone, I bought a THL 5000 last Monday. It looked to be an absolutely amazing phone that was very reasonably priced and I THOUGHT it would work for me because it said it used 2G GSM and 3G WCDMA with the frequency 850MHz. .. in my mind, I thought that meant it would work on the CDMA Band 850 MHz and I chatted with a Net10 rep who said it would work on their network as they have contracts with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and Tmobile. I was psyched, ordered the phone, and of course then could not activate it on Net10, they said it was one an approved device on the Verizon Wireless network. I was very upset and had it out with them but they said VZW only approves prior-VZW devices for their network usage.

I was very upset and really liked that phone.... I contacted very company providing CMDA service in the USA and all had the same info: VZW only allows their own devices as "eligible devices" on their network.. I actually resigned myself to having to use 2G data, and I bought a Straight Talk SIM activation kit Friday night, ported my number over from Net10 (I know it's the same company but Net10 has *THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER* - the 3 or 4 times I've talked to them in 3+ years has been terrible. - so I figured, well I'll have a great smartphone and on WiFi it will be awesome, but on mobile it will only be on 2G.

Well upon activation of the device, with my ST Sim in the GSM bay (Not the WCDMA bay 1, actually) ... I saw it activated up with a 3G signal... in fact, a 3G H signal. I assumed it was some sort of fluke. Imagine my surprise when I was getting 4-5 MBps DL and 1-2+ MBps UL speeds on Speed Net... it really WAS 3G data! In fact I am also getting off and on 3G H+ signals in certain areas of my house and town.

In my research all weekend , between my absolute ecstatic phone usage and playing and trying to see if it was all a dream or a fluke.. I have found on WCDMA is absolutely NOT CDMA ... completely different. So I was absolutely off in my thoughts in buying it... it was never going to run on the Verizon Wireless CDMA networks. I guess I would have failed that section on the exam lol...

Now I am in Central / Western Florida... using this THL5000 via a GSM Sim with Straight Talk (presumably connected on the AT&T network) and I am getting 3G ... this is good right??

And is this a fluke? If I go somewhere else will it shut down or not have the 3G signal?

and lastly, I was wondering, should I have actually put the SIM in the bay 1/ WCDMA slot? if I switch them do I risk losing everything? can I just pop it out and swap or that would involve re-registering the phone because of different IMEIss etc.

Ok thanks very much - I am very confused with the Band and Network/spectrum factors here but I am really really trying to understand. It looks like I got extremely, extremely lucky - but I am afraid it will disappear!

·
Registered
82 Posts
hi everyone-

I am sorry to bump this topic but I found it while searching the internet and it's very relevant to me-

I hope to give you my background info without boring you too much- basically after several years using Net10 and most of them w/o a decent phone, I bought a THL 5000 last Monday. It looked to be an absolutely amazing phone that was very reasonably priced and I THOUGHT it would work for me because it said it used 2G GSM and 3G WCDMA with the frequency 850MHz. .. in my mind, I thought that meant it would work on the CDMA Band 850 MHz and I chatted with a Net10 rep who said it would work on their network as they have contracts with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and Tmobile. I was psyched, ordered the phone, and of course then could not activate it on Net10, they said it was one an approved device on the Verizon Wireless network. I was very upset and had it out with them but they said VZW only approves prior-VZW devices for their network usage.

I was very upset and really liked that phone.... I contacted very company providing CMDA service in the USA and all had the same info: VZW only allows their own devices as "eligible devices" on their network.. I actually resigned myself to having to use 2G data, and I bought a Straight Talk SIM activation kit Friday night, ported my number over from Net10 (I know it's the same company but Net10 has *THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER* - the 3 or 4 times I've talked to them in 3+ years has been terrible. - so I figured, well I'll have a great smartphone and on WiFi it will be awesome, but on mobile it will only be on 2G.

Well upon activation of the device, with my ST Sim in the GSM bay (Not the WCDMA bay 1, actually) ... I saw it activated up with a 3G signal... in fact, a 3G H signal. I assumed it was some sort of fluke. Imagine my surprise when I was getting 4-5 MBps DL and 1-2+ MBps UL speeds on Speed Net... it really WAS 3G data! In fact I am also getting off and on 3G H+ signals in certain areas of my house and town.

In my research all weekend , between my absolute ecstatic phone usage and playing and trying to see if it was all a dream or a fluke.. I have found on WCDMA is absolutely NOT CDMA ... completely different. So I was absolutely off in my thoughts in buying it... it was never going to run on the Verizon Wireless CDMA networks. I guess I would have failed that section on the exam lol...

Now I am in Central / Western Florida... using this THL5000 via a GSM Sim with Straight Talk (presumably connected on the AT&T network) and I am getting 3G ... this is good right??

And is this a fluke? If I go somewhere else will it shut down or not have the 3G signal?

and lastly, I was wondering, should I have actually put the SIM in the bay 1/ WCDMA slot? if I switch them do I risk losing everything? can I just pop it out and swap or that would involve re-registering the phone because of different IMEIss etc.

Ok thanks very much - I am very confused with the Band and Network/spectrum factors here but I am really really trying to understand. It looks like I got extremely, extremely lucky - but I am afraid it will disappear!
So basically, WCDMA means 3G/HSPA/HSPA+.

CDMA is a legacy network that has nothing to do with WCDMA. No phone will work on Verizon's CDMA network except phones that explicitly say CDMA only and actually won't work on other carriers that use GSM/HSPA.

So you can switch SIM slots without worrying, you won't lose anything, and you won't lose data either if you switch the SIm out. Also, SIM 1 is GSM only while SIM 2 is GSM and WCDMA, so if you put it in slot 1, it won't work.

121 - 123 of 123 Posts