Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Android just look good, but it's actually something like "phone OS on the wrong place".Windows Ce is good, but not so widely appreciated these days.This device offering much more great possibilities to high-tech fans than just a Internet browser and couple of games.By installing Linux on it will create so much great possibilities of exploring the whole new world of ideas that everyone will switch to it.Please let's try this.Here something to catch around : Index of /the guy seems like successfully installed Debian over similar hardware.there is everything uploaded, but the rooms is fair different.Please - the peoples which have much better knowledge on linux - let's took a look, and help on intalling this really useful os.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi,i also think that android is improper for the epad, a ported netbook linux would be very nice on it!regards

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am actually more interested in using Android than a netbook distro on a touchscreen tablet. While a distro like Debian or Ubuntu will have a much larger software base, that software is designed for desktops and laptops that have keyboards and mice. Some of the UI assumptions - for example, right-click context-sensitive menus and keyboard navigation - would be very awkward to implement on a touchscreen tablet.Android, on the other hand, like the iphone OS is built from the ground up with touchscreens in mind. So it seems to me that it should be more suitable for tablets. Though I agree that it might make sense to have separate phone version of Android and tablet version of Android.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Android is running linux. So it basically a linux distribution with a lot of tweaks. I am not sure if it worth the time porting desktop/server distribution like Ubuntu on this devices because they will be very slow. Android and other linux embedded distribution is tweaked for low memory operation. Also, the UI on ubuntu will be difficult to use as well.I think porting a linux distribution over is less effective than trying to tweak android.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone know if there are even modules built for these chipsets? Has there been indepth demonstration of what hardware is used for all of these machines as they are almost thrown together willy nilly with whatever similar parts are available.The touchscreen working is a PIA to get working, I know this as I've seen MANY linux threads with trying to get touch screens to work with no drivers to support them and the system is virtually worthless.It's not as easy as just porting over an OS onto these machines, you'd need one specifically built on ARM to run on ARM chips with whatever crappy chipset and system components they put in there. Can it be done? Yes. CAn it be done quickly? Hell no. You have better luck with going after a system that's in more consumers hands (The Augen comes to mind) instead of this one which probably will be outdated in 3months.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your first step is going to be getting a list of devices that are on that system. I believe if you root the device you can go in and scan the list of hardware/PCI bus peripherals that are built into the motherboard/device.From there, check to see if there are indeed debian drivers/modules/configs for said devices. if there are the next step is to get that build of debian installed on the machines onboard flash or be able to boot off an SD card.Someone got debian working on another tablet here:Debian Linux (working TS) - Downloads - SlateDroid - The BIGGEST Android Tablet Forum on the Web!here's another oneProject Gus ? Debian on the Eken M001

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is packages, at least for Debian, on one of my post - i have posted a guy which successfully installed Debian running X console , & etc on netbook - but it's actually the same processor , just have keyboard.Anyway i dont see any problem with missing keyboard, after all - there is usb , and it's a tablet for a god sake - there should be some package which could offer onscreen keyboard.As i previously said - Android looks good, but it's one pretty phone os, nothing usable at this point, untill with linux - we can do much more things

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
[quote name='wintermute;35199]I am actually more interested in using Android than a netbook distro on a touchscreen tablet. While a distro like Debian or Ubuntu will have a much larger software base' date=' that software is designed for desktops and laptops that have keyboards and mice. Some of the UI assumptions - for example, right-click context-sensitive menus and keyboard navigation - would be very awkward to implement on a touchscreen tablet.[/QUOTE'] Not quite true. Haven't you heard about the Touchbook? It has a 600MHz ARM and comes with a custom-made Linux installed. As videos show, it's pretty fast and functional. Ubuntu, unfortunately, is a bit heavy, but it runs on it too.I tested Android in a virtual machine and I must say, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of flexibility. As the OP says, it's nice for Phones, but in a 8-10" tablet I was expecting something more like a light Linux distro. Or maybe I'm just expecting more than I should.

·
Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter
6,629 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.