Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
MFLOPS: 3.083Time: 1.76 SecondsNorm Res: 3.36Plugged in or on battery doesn't seem to make a difference, varies between 2.9 and 3.1. I have SetCPU set to run at max 800 Mhz and min 66 Mhz.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
How do you have set cpu to run at 800 when the max it has on the slider is 533?[quote name='roebeet;24931]MFLOPS: 3.083Time: 1.76 SecondsNorm Res: 3.36Plugged in or on battery doesn't seem to make a difference' date=' varies between 2.9 and 3.1. I have SetCPU set to run at max 800 Mhz and min 66 Mhz.[/QUOTE']

·
Registered
179 Posts
roebeet;24931 said:
MFLOPS: 3.083Time: 1.76 SecondsNorm Res: 3.36
So... In your opinion, how does the Novel compare to, say, an Intel single core 3xx netbook? I tried to Google this but nothing especially useful turned up. Follow-on question: Since this thing is passively cooled, does running it flat out @ 800 Mhz present, in the opinion of the collective community here, any issues other than potentially voiding your warranty?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Well, it's all really subjective in the end. I own a I7 920 CPU running Ubuntu, a Mini 10v netbook and my kids have iPod Touches - so that's what I really use for comparison. Obviously the PC is a completely different animal, so that gets eliminated. As for my netbook, the overall UI is about the same (netbook does some things faster, the Novel does other things faster) and the netbook obviously can run a lot more apps due to its nature - example being XVID videos which the Novel chokes on.In comparing it with the Touch (its closest cousin), I would say that it's really not all that different. MP4 videos that play on the Touch play fine on the Novel, and the app offerings are similar - and what I mean are apps that I'd actually use, not just the overall quantity. Probably the only thing I'd really like to see improved on the Novel is the video playback, but I'm wondering if it's an inherent flaw in the 2.0 OS that is not going t be fixable anytime soon. Also, the Touch UI is definitely smoother than the Novel, but I don't see the latter being a major detraction.As for overclocking, I'm not certain that they are overclocking at 800Mhz - isn't that within specs for an ARM11? I'm wondering if anyone else has more technical knowledge that I do on that subject. Maybe the only reason for underclocking the Novel at all was for increased battery life only.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Well, it's all really subjective in the end. I own a I7 920 CPU running Ubuntu, a Mini 10v netbook and my kids have iPod Touches - so that's what I really use for comparison. Obviously the PC is a completely different animal, so that gets eliminated. As for my netbook, the overall UI is about the same (netbook does some things faster, the Novel does other things faster) and the netbook obviously can run a lot more apps due to its nature - example being XVID videos which the Novel chokes on.In comparing it with the Touch (its closest cousin), I would say that it's really not all that different. MP4 videos that play on the Touch play fine on the Novel, and the app offerings are similar - and what I mean are apps that I'd actually use, not just the overall quantity. Probably the only thing I'd really like to see improved on the Novel is the video playback, but I'm wondering if it's an inherent flaw in the 2.0 OS that is not going t be fixable anytime soon. Also, the Touch UI is definitely smoother than the Novel, but I don't see the latter being a major detraction.As for overclocking, I'm not certain that they are overclocking at 800Mhz - isn't that within specs for an ARM11? I'm wondering if anyone else has more technical knowledge that I do on that subject. Maybe the only reason for underclocking the Novel at all was for increased battery life only.

·
Registered
179 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;24987]...As for overclocking' date=' I'm not certain that they are overclocking at 800Mhz - isn't that within specs for an ARM11? I'm wondering if anyone else has more technical knowledge that I do on that subject. Maybe the only reason for underclocking the Novel at all was for increased battery life only.[/QUOTE']I was not saying 800 Mhz is overclocking, just that it is running it at full speed, and I didn't know if there would be (eventually, assuming this is kept up) heat dissipation issues since there is no forced airflow.

·
Registered
592 Posts
probably not. samsung certified the device's operation at 800 mhz in a tiny, enclosed space. they know what type of devices this thing is going into. if anything, the novel has better packaging than a cell phone because it is bigger and doesn't have a rf section generating heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.