Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really happy this forum has finally started to take shape and evolve into the gigantic community it is soon to become, but because the website is growing at such a rapid pace I'm seeing it erroring out quite frequently while the owner is still working out the kinks and such. As such, I would like to propose that we create our own dedicated IRC channel preferrably on a medium-sized server such as EnterTheGame or ChatSolutions (to keep out the spambots).[What is IRC?]For those who don't know what IRC is, it stands for Internet Relay Chat and generally uses a dedicated program on your computer to connect to a server where you can chat with everybody in a particular channel. IRC is one of the most popular ways people can chat with each other on the internet and has been around for many years. The chatroom can be set up to where there are moderators that have the power to silence, kick, and ban especially disruptive people from the channel to keep the room clean and safe for everybody. The most common way of accessing IRC is with a freeware program called mIRC ( http://www.mirc.com ) , which is an easy to install program that will get you connected quickly. [Who will moderate the channel?]This obviously would be left up to the admins and owner(s) of the forum, but of course should only be limited to a few members who are well known throughout the forum, have a helpful and willing to help personality, but not be too judgemental. Depending on the size of the forum and people who will participate in the IRC channel, this will dictate approximately how many channel admins there need be.[Are there any rules that would need to be followed?]Always open to different interpretations, but every member should treat one another as they would like to be treated. Remember the community you're communicating with and let it be your guide as to what you can and cannot say in a public manor. [Why create an IRC channel in the first place? Why not use the integrated chat feature on the forum?]The chatroom can be used as a place to socialize with everyone on the forums and also to provide live help to anyone who might have a problem they need to discuss about their device. The integrated forum chat tool is workable, but too basic and doesn't provide enough tools to efficiently control the room.With all of that being said, who would be interested in starting an IRC channel?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well nevermind then
. I used the search function to see if there was anything regarding an IRC channel, but I didn't get back any results. I assume it had something to do with the updates and server changes. Thanks Mike!

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote name='bmurphr1;9206]Well nevermind then [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/IMG] . I used the search function to see if there was anything regarding an IRC channel' date=' but I didn't get back any results. I assume it had something to do with the updates and server changes. Thanks Mike![/QUOTE'] Aha sorry, I've just realized how blunt my reply sounded. It's odd that no search results came up because there was definitely an announcement about it at some point or another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.