Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone begun working on a more elegant Market enabler? I was not over impressed with GE1 and was wondering if anyone has taken a leaner approach to getting Market enabled. I would prefer to install only the necessary files (preferrably from .apk) to get the market working. I have my androidID, I am ready for the market, I just don't care to have all of the unnecessary Google Stuff installed. Has anyone developed a list of essentials for Market only? I can get Google Maps and Google Voice and some of the other Apps through the market, I just want to get Market only working.I assume Vending.apk is required. Does anyone know which libraries are required alongside?Also I have noticed that in some places the database is within .....googleapps/databases and other examples it is elsewhere. Also there is an accounts.db as well as a gls.db (google location services?)I am unable to "browse" my emulator setup, however the extracting of the androidID went fine because the .db was in the same location as the example I followed.Injecting is not so easy, as the correct folder structure does not exist on my Novel (com....googleapps/) I presume that this will install along with the GE1 setup posted elsewhere. But I do not want the whole GE1, only what is required to get market enabled. Can anyone here help? What are the required files/folders for just the Market to function.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Just remount your system dir as read/write, and delete stuff you want. You probably need to keep all the Google*.apk, but you should be fine deleting Calendar*,Gmail, Contacts*,Maps.apk and Street.apk, if that is what you want to do. If you break something, you can always restore it from the GE folder.Also, since you mentioned the googleapps directory structure, that is created on the device, not by the Google Experience install procedure, so you don't really have to worry about doing it manually.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then why dont I have the com..googleapps directory on my 7_24 Firmware flashed Novel? I have not installed GE1 yet. I did try a few Vending.apks untill I found one that has the correct dev version, but the adb install Vending.apk complained about a missing library.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Once you install GoogleApps.apk (which is required for Market, so far as I know), it will generate the com....googleapps directory and database the first time it loads. It's a database for that application. Since you've never had it installed before, there is no associated database.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i assume the GoogleApps.apk would not be the "installed" one in system/app/ on the emulator. Is there a place to look for the core or installable GoogleApps.apk? As well as the others listed above. Do they have to be pushed with a file/directory merge ala GE1 or can they be installed "clean".

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
They are pushed over with a file/directory merge. I'm not sure how that makes them any less "clean", they just don't have the certificates to install because in typical useage they don't get installed that way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I too would love to get just marketplace without installing Google Experience. I have observed my PDN behaving differently after GE is installed... especially in the power management area. I believe this is because GE is meant for phones and only phones. I had my PDN sleeping just fine for several days/nights before GE... all I wanted was market... So I would encourage and assist any effort in trying to figure out how to do this. Including making my PDN a guinea pig for relashing/reinstalling to see what happens...To me the ideal solution would be an .apk install or a set of .apk installs or a script that would copy the correct files structure(s) and database(s).... Followed by an andrew id insert..... cosmos

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Like I said, you can install the full GE, and then start removing apps. I'm pretty sure all or nearly all of the Google* apk's are required, along with Vending, obviously. Or, you can start the opposite way, push over Vending.apk, run it, and hopefully you'll get logcat messages telling you what is missing, and push over more from there.Also, the entire Android OS as it is currently is made for phones and only phones. The emulator and tablet devices currently "fake" being a phone through the libril-reference.so library. On more poorly hacked devices (like the Augen initial release), they even had the phone signal meter up, obviously set to "no service".Android support for "real" tablets (which I would assume means not having to fake a phone radio and not having "no service" splashed around the OS), is one of the rumored features of Android 3.0.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.