Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a nice conversation with Christian over at Augen piece of crap online support. Thought I would share it with you all as a fair warning. I started asking about the stylus they tell me to use, and then in the middle of the conversation I clicked restore to factory and discover... it does not work. No problem if you are not like me. My first Gentouch78 was damaged, and I restored it to factory default and exchanged it for another, not knowing at the time that it did not actually remove your account. I am f^cked and have to reset all of my android devices because of this, so I can change my password so they will sync again. I think you will all love the final responce I got from Christian...You are now chatting with Christian (Live Support) Mark: HelloChristian: how can i help?Mark: On the SD card and USB drive instructions item 3 says "3. Using the stylus drag down the process menu, which is located at the top of the home screen, which looks like a gray bar with SD & USB icons". I did not recieve a stylus. Was my GenTouch78 to have one in the package?Mark: Also my device will not restore to factory default allowing me to delete my email address of of this device. This concerns me as the first Gentouch78 I bought was damaged.Mark: *off of this deviceChristian: the stylus is inserted at the corner of your deviceChristian: R&D team is already working on the factory reset patch.Christian: NewsChristian: please read.Mark: Ok, that was posted on 7/27/10, it is now 8/03/10, it clearly states that "we will be posting an update for a patch to the software at the following link: AUGEN ELECTRONICS CORP - Kayako SupportSuite Help Desk Software under latest download files within the next 48 hours." 48 hours is two days, that was posted 7 days ago...Christian: there's a second letter from the vp, please scroll downChristian: some of the fixes will be ready by next week.Mark: my personal information has now been exposed to anyone at Kmart because of this. Because your device would not restore to factory and erase my personal information.Christian: R&D had some technical difficulties finishing the patch.Christian: did you call us before sending it back to kmart?Mark: Kmart told me to bring it back to them for an exchange because the screen had been damaged in shippingMark: the outside of the box was crunched a bit, and the screen was not working properly, and the digitizer on the the front of the screen had a crease in it.Mark: I restored it to factory default and returned it, not knowing until today that it did not actually do what it said it did. Now my personal information is still on that deviceChristian: if it's damaged and being returned to the store they will ship it to our returns department for replacement.Mark: So now a device that is no longer in my position has my emails going to it, some where in kmartChristian: i suggest you change your password.Christian: it syncs your emails, if you change your pw it will not load your emails to that device anymoreMark: Fine, and all the emails that it already synced before the password change that expose my personal life? There is no way for me to remove those from the device no longer in my handsChristian has left the conversationClick here to leave a message I did not edit this conversation in anyway. For 24 hours unknown to me anyone who could turn that device on and fight through the semi-broken screen could have read and sent emails as me. What was Christian, a authorized representitive of Augen's responce? Close chat... I hope someone comes out with a firmware hack for this thing, I have no faith that this company will actually fix it. I have 30 days to return this thing, guess I will wait and see what the next week or two bring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know for the future if this one goes back droptopjim. Too late on the other one, and I can't see the k-martians being calm if I drag my laptop in and demand the device I returned. Had to drive 30minutes to exchange the damn thing too. Of course that is my own fault for having the other GT78 in layaway at the store I first bought it from... but I digress

·
Registered
92 Posts
Actually i had the a screen problem returned mine.I wiped it as much as i could piece by piece, Then came home and changed passwords anyway.They had one that was a costumer return that they put back in the glass that had the same screen problem (Maybe they just didn't want it, & didnt mention the screen), but they will try to sell it again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine actually went to the manager incharge of shipping defective merchandise back. So I have hope...blind hope...

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Today my screen or unit won't turn on. I had to do remove my microSDHC card which was a real pain, then do a 30-30-30 power on reset (power light was glowing red), next power off reset then power on rest and go figure the unit came back on. I don't want to keep on doing this on regular bases.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was litterally creased in the center, which perfectly matched the area on the outside of the box that was also creased... was fun if you held the screen up like a mirror when shut off, one section of the screen distorted like a funhouse mirror.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i returned my augen i was concerned about not being ablr to reset it to factory then i found a post on another site that told me to hold the home button when choosing the factory reset option in the settings menu it worked like a charm. the problem i had was i think user error the sd card got sucked into the casing and i lost a 8 gig memory card because the slot for the sd card was to big. after i finally wiped the device i went to kmart they guy ripped the thing open for me and retrieved my memory card so i know he killed it... i can also warn you if you do a factory reset it does take alot of programs that are pre set on the device so dont do it unless you are going to return it or going to root it and put a rom on it..good luckKenny

·
Registered
7 Posts
6 for 6 at K-MartThe returns clerk at a Florida K-mart told me that the Gentouch I returned due to various problems was the 6 out of 6 returned for various problems. Problems reported:sdcard opening too large. Inserting the card can actually result in it not going into the socket, instead inside the case and lost. Two instances of this. The clerk said there was nothingshe could do about the sd card, but to write the Augen Co. for a replacement. Good Luck with that. Android market downloads don't complete, another problem. On the unit Ihad the power button failed after about an hours use. It became loose and the unit would not turn on. The clerk advised the supervisor not to stock any more of these.Great website, thanks for the exchange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote name='mindwave;31013]dogears' date='im in orlando waiting on a raincheck call, please tell me youre in p-cola or Jax.J[/QUOTE'] I am about 90 miles northwest of Tampa. Best advise: don't mess with this. Check the thread at the head of this forum with the Starbucks headline. All Gentouchs shipped with same mac address. Problem logging on to wifi.http://www.slatedroid.com/augen-gentouch78/3977-duplicate-mac-address.htmlSlateDroid - The BIGGEST Android Tablet Forum on the Web! - Only 1 Augen per Starbucks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had my own issues with Augen support. After reading the now infamous note by whatever company officer about having a fix for the Android Market problem "in 48 hours", I went to the support site to download the patch. Of course we all know there's next to nothing out there and absolutely nothing for the Android Market problem. I opened a ticket with them and got the following email:--------------------------------------------------------------------Please check this Newsletter that was posted on our site: NewsGENTOUCH78 & Google Mobile Services Application Suite . Press ReleaseMark at Augen Customer SupportTicket Details===================Ticket ID: 4970Department: Customer SupportPriority: HighStatus: Closed--------------------------------------------------------------------Of course the link the idiot sent me was one I had already seen. And there is nothing there to help me with my original question, where do I download the Android Market fix. So, I send a follow-up to Mark asking him where the patch is and got the following:--------------------------------------------------------------------It's because your not looking. Would you like me to spoonfeed you SIR?here is the link: http://augenus.com/7800atpsoftware.ziphere is the instruction: http://augenus.com/androidcalibrationinstructions.pdfyou'll need it badlyMark at Augen Customer SupportTicket Details===================Ticket ID: 4970Department: Customer SupportPriority: HighStatus: Closed--------------------------------------------------------------------Insulting your customer is generally not a good idea. The best part about all this is these messages are from 8/10, and the idiot knows there is no solution to the problem but decided to basically lie to me and give me a run around instead of facing the facts. After doing some more research on this I find the patch for the problem doesn't exist, which brings up the question what was the idiot going to "spoon feed" me?My theory on Augen is it's a bunch morons who are buying cheap, cloned hardware in China and importing it (everyone remember Apex?) They have no idea of how to run a company or support a product. The support site has no structure to it, but this may be because they will have no idea of how to actually fix any of the problems until the can get a H2B visa and interpreter for a guy in China and relocate him instead of letting Mark put the thing together.

·
Registered
576 Posts
<snip>Wow. I wonder how long before "Mark" is looking for a new job... (I had a similar, although not quite as bad experience with a custom nb builder once... technically incompetent as it turned out when the nb had unusual problems, ended up happily getting a refund minus shipping costs and just ended up with a retail nb which was better specced(excepting wireless mini-PCIe card), and cost less to boot, better warranty, etc. ...). Wasn't super high end stuff, so the cost advantage pretty much wasn't there in the end...)Augen? Another Flat Computing you think?I just wonder who Velocity Micro's Cruz products ODM is? Compal? Clevo? Foxconn? Wonder if they'll get better ODM support, well I'd expect those three to be better...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll admit, I laughed out loud when I saw this title.I was watching an episode of the Justice League this morning with my 4 yo, and in it Green Lantern is put on trial for blowing up a planet.The Flash then steps up and says "where is his legal representation, he deserves a lawyer"The Judge calmly explains that they "solved their lawyer problem eons ago, and s they dont have any available"So the flash, acting without thinking (He is the fastest man alive, not the BIGHTEST man alive) volunteers to be a lawyer for GL.The judge (exasperated) accepts that as long as Flash is willing to play by their rules."If GL is found guilty the punishment is death, for both the accused and his lawyer"flash says "thats barbaric" when the Judge says "I old you we solved our lawyer problem"This is ALMOST as bad as the morons complaining that the IPAD gets hot out in the sunlight.Guess what braniac ICE CREAM MELTS TOO!So instead of trying to do something stupid like sue the FIRST company brave enough to risk themselves for putting a sub $200 device in US STORES.I mean REALLY whne the 1st car was for sale in the US, in 1896 (no not a Ford) it cost $200 when a horse and buggy cost$70. ANd these things stranded people ALL over the COUNTRY. and in MANY areas were illegal to DRIVE.So instead lets do like they are doing at XDA and see what we can do.I'll be honest I wish I had bought 2 of these, and I STILL dont have everything working the way I want it. but guess what, i dont care, this thing is a BLAST! and its MUCH better than some of the horror stories Ive read of the early adopters importing from china.<rant mode off>my 2 cts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts