Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone--I'm really excited to join on to this active and enthusiastic community, and I hope I can work with all of you along the way to getting my very own aPad. That said, I come to you today flummoxed. I have been researching various models for about 1.5 weeks and have come away a lot more confused than I started. The blatant misrepresentation of device stats, compounded with the extreme difficulty of locating a reputable seller, the multiple re-brandings, and the erratic release cycle was almost enough to put me off trying to find one. Here are my, admittedly minimal, requirements: I am looking to spend ~150$ on a device that simply has a large screen. I have a large number of PDF ebooks and I would like to be able to read them on a large surface. In my less enlightened days I was considering a Kindle, which is an increasingly interesting option now that the basic model is 139, but I would need the large screen of the DX, which would run roughly 250$ for a used 1st gen. I thought to myself, this is a little too much for a black and white device that would only read ebooks. Likewise with the Nook, etc. Next came a general investigation of older slate tablets such as the earlier fujitsu stylistics and the Motion M1400. Nominally, faster devices, running Windows, which would be familiar, but still a 200 dollar pricetag. I next began looking into the wonderful world of knock-off iPads, and the EKEN M003 caught my eye--a large(r) screen, at least, in color, and roughly half the price. I even considered a 7 inch screen--after all, what can the difference between 7 and 8 inches be? And besides, the mod community is more active for the M002 and M001. But then came the overwhelmingly negative reviews of the usual built-in VIA processor. So I began looking into rockchips and had almost settled on the Moonse 7001, right when the Moonse "7002" (telechips) suddenly appeared on the radar. The problem? A 200 pricetag. I came very close to pre-ordering one on merimobiles. But then came all the talk of the upcoming 10 inch pads that could cost as low as 150. I began to think about what I would use this for--many, many ebooks; the occasional youtube video, maybe even a movie on the go (for content, not graphics); maybe an audiobook or two. I have a pc and a smartphone but this device would be a portable, smarter alternative to both these devices, as well as an alternative to physical books. I'm really not sure where to go from here. In summary, I'm looking for a big screen and not too much lag when turning pages on a 30+ MB PDF. I want minimum video playback, for youtube and maybe a documentary every once and a while. I want to spend the smallest possible amount of money--an amount that seems appropriate given the features I would be using the device for. Additionally, I live in California, and would not want shipping to tack on too much extra cost. One other thing, my undergraduate major was Chinese and I have studied this language extensively. I actually don't mind if the device comes already in Chinese, and in fact this might be fun. Though notably, I don't quite know my way around the Chinese Internet enough to find a reputable seller (hell, I can hardly do it in English!) Overall, perhaps this mythical device doesn't yet exist. I may be willing to go up to 200$ for a 10" screen. But at that price, it starts bumping into x86 and Kindle territory. I am excited to try out android, for sure, but these are just things going through my head. Then there's this whole Orphan thing....it really seems like something new comes out every 5 minutes. Running the same core as the real iPad?!?Anyhow, any help you could give in my thoroughly confusing search would be greatly appreciated. I can only hope that someone else comes along and finds some solace in the comparative calm of their personal aPad adventure. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.

·
Registered
103 Posts
well the zt180 is still decent, it wasnt what it was advertised to be but should prove to be a good cpu.So if you bought a tablet with the zt180, there should be a firmware update within the month.If you cant wait that long, the rockhips are solid, but some of them are restricted to 1.5 and thats unlikely to change, but personally id recommend the telechip, not sure which model but it runs 2.1 or so some sellers are listing, there has been a few videos of it about.It only has a 720mhz processor over clocked to 800mhz. But for the money it seems pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
I like my M003 the size and 800x600 screen. since the 10" have smaller bezels they are only a little bigger. with faster CPU & more Ram.7" are mainly 800x480 (PDN is not)the M003 8" is 4x3 800x600Depends on your budget. I think you get more for your money with the extra cash for the zt-180 10" cost. kinda 50% more cost but 85% improvement.But I think the M003 will work for Trying 12mb pdf.PDF Viewer DOG SLOW ughPDF to Go (doc to go ) OKDroid reader Loaded 2x fast Page turns very fast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thenatman,First off let me say that I have no experience with tablets and my head is spinning trying to get up to speed. I'm kinda in the same boat wanting mostly an ereader and basic web access with decent speed. I don't care about games. much.I tried one of the Augen's The Book but it was so slow on the web that it was unusable and I returned it to Kmart.The Eken M006 looks interesting but maybe the 10" screen would be too big for use as a portable ereader. I have ordered this one to get my feet wet and it has shipped.Buy Apad Mini iPad MID 7 Inch WiFi 1GB Android 1.7.4 Camera compare price at pandawill.comWhat a changing market this is because the price dropped between the time I ordered and it shipped.Anyway, I am interested in your study and I'm awaiting a report.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.