Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got a 7" RK2918 tablet from DealExtreme (DX), see http://www.dealextreme.com/p/7-capacitive-touch-lcd-android-2-3-tablet-pc-w-wi-fi-agps-usb-host-hdmi-4gb-rockchip-rk2918-73312

(Note: The device doesn't appear to have a GPS chip, despite DX claim that it has)

The model number is 910, and seems like the manufacturer could be Lanyu, see http://en.sz-lanyu.com/EN/Product-117.html - ly910 is what the software identifies the tablet as.

The device is quite nice for the under-$200 price, there a USB host interface and HDMI interface and support for external 3G, multitouch, and >= 1Ghz clock. No bluetooth though.

The X10 Airpad ( http://www.x10.com/promotions/airpad_7_inch_android_tablet.html ) looks identical to this, but there's one difference in specs, the DX table camera is specced at 0,3 Mpixels while the Airpad is specced at 2 megapixels.

UPDATE 2011-09-12: my viewpoint now is that all the differences in the specs (between DX and Lanyu/X10) are bogus (mostly incorrect at DX: GPS & camera), and that both my device and the X10 Airpad are the same Lanyu-branded 910 hardware, witnessed (among other things) by device internals, there's a Lanyu sticker inside the X10 as well as my device (had to open the device as the microsd card went in incorrectly and got stuck inside the device).

Some data from Quadrant standard is at the end of the post.

An external Huawei 3G modem works OK on the device (only a short test though yet).

"adb shell" gives a root shell.

A practical issue I'd like to resolve is to have GPS for the device. Two alternatives, bluetooth or A pl2303.ko driver module I compiled does load, but as of yet I don't have an USB GPS dongle so can't test it yet. I do have bluetooth GPS devices, and compiled a btusb.ko module, but the device freezes when loading it. (bluetooth.ko loads OK).

I've constructed a kernel .config by trial and error, you can find it at http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20966-fview-7-pro-tablet/ - but it may well be incorrect, as not all modules load. Info on creating .config is welcome.

Digital compass chip doesn't seem to work in practice, along with GPS that would be nice to get to work.

----

Result: 1441 (highest on the list of the benchmark)

Linux OS version 2.6.32.27
Model ly-910-2918-7
CPU ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
Current freq.: 1008 Mhz
Max freq.: 1008 Mhz
Min freq.: 1008 Mhz
Cores: 1
BogoMIPS: 1004.66

Memory
Total: 298132
GPU (OpenGL):
Vendor: Vivante Corporation
Rendered: GC800 Graphics Engine
Version: OpenGL ES-CM 1.1

Sensors
MMA8451Q 3-axis Accelrometer
AK8973 3-axis Magnetic field sensor
AK8973 Orientation sensor
Gravity Sensor
Linear Acceleration Sensor
Rotation Vector Sensor

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I looked at the actual camera shots, and the jpeg resolution is 1600 * 1200. The picture quality is not very good which led me think maybe it's a small resolution like the DX specs say, but apparently this is 2 Mpixels after all, like the specs at all other places say. So, it would appear the device hardware is the same as in the Airpad.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some things I'l like to do / fix which require / can be done with additional kernel modules

- add GPS; either via bluetooth (btusb.ko, bluetooth.ko) or USB (pl2303.ko or the appropriate module for the GPS serial converter)
- add DVB-T reception (various tuner and dvb modules)
- make the built-in digital compass work (ak8973.ko or maybe ak8975.ko required, apparently backporting needed)
- add net connection via USB cable to a Nokia E72 phone (needs driver providing ttyACM0, apparently cdc_acm.ko)
- fix Z axis negation (besides a modified kernel module, might be possible to do at Android side, not sure)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Root access to the device is given to "adb shell". But on the 910 at least, software is such that the usual Superuser application (apk) can't be used, i.e. the device is not rooted in the way of the common usage of the word "rooted".

On the 910, system filesystem is readonly cramfs. This means many of the usual rooting methods like SuperOneClick won't work.

I rooted my device (in the sense that I can type "su" on a terminal on the device and get a root shell, and use root-requiring apps such as Titanium Backup). I did it as follows (from memory, should work, maybe I can write a script sometime, should be simple to just prepend everything with "adb shell", e.g. "adb shell mkdir /data/xbin"):

* adb shell (rest of the commands are run on the tablet unless otherwise specified)
* mkdir /data/xbin
* busybox cp -p /system/xbin/* /data/xbin
* mount -o bind /data/xbin /system/xbin
* mkdir /dev/xbin
* (on the host) adb push su-v3 /dev/xbin/su (su-v3 is the file su-v3 in folder Root in the SuperOneClick zip)
* chmod 4755 /dev/xbin/su
* rm /data/xbin/su
* ln -s /dev/xbin/su /data/xbin/su

Then just install the normal SuperUser from Android market or from SuperOneClick zip. Everything should be done now. You can test by installing Terminal from the market, and typing "su" on the command line, or Root Check from the market.

First I tried to use just /data/xbin, by remounting it without nosuid. For a reason unknown, it didn't work, so I decided to just use /dev which is a tmpfs which doesn't have nosuid.

I haven't checked yet what happens at reboot time; obviosly the mount stops to exist so the device is not rooted anymore after boot. Most probably also /dev is cleared, but apparently /data/xbin should stay intact. So, after a reboot, things should work with these commands on the host:

* adb shell mkdir /dev/xbin
* adb push su-v3 /dev/xbin/su
* adb shell chmod 4755 /dev/xbin/su
* adb shell mount -o bind /data/xbin /system/xbin

Update: Check and confirmed the above - /dev/xbin is cleared at reboot, and the commands above restore su capability.

As far as I know, the only way to permanently root the device would be to reflash the system image. [ Update: Or alternatively another partition, e.g. "boot", and rewrite the initrd there to have a script do something like the above at boot ]

Update2: Another method I'd like to look into is the possibility to boot from sd card, hopefully later an update on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
insert a 3G modem in the USB, the blue LED is lit, but the tablet does not find the network, APN is not saved, the modem Huawei E1550. How do I get?

·
Registered
130 Posts
insert a 3G modem in the USB, the blue LED is lit, but the tablet does not find the network, APN is not saved, the modem Huawei E1550. How do I get?
I didn't do the test myself, so not sure of the exact details, but I think there was some trouble at saving the APN, however it succeeded after a few times. It may have been necessary to also input MCC and MNC, not sure.

UPDATE: I didn't manage to save the APN, and neither was it succesful in the earlier test. However the connection worked despite that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got significant progress - see http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20966-fview-7-pro-tablet/page__st__20 where you can find a kernel .config which generates some working modules.

btusb.ko (at least partially) works, pl2303.ko loads (no device to test it with yet), the Nokia E72 is recognized as ttyACM0 and I can make a low-level connection to ttyACM0 from the shell.

Some things I'l like to do / fix which require / can be done with additional kernel modules

- add GPS; either via bluetooth (btusb.ko, bluetooth.ko) or USB (pl2303.ko or the appropriate module for the GPS serial converter)
- add DVB-T reception (various tuner and dvb modules)
- make the built-in digital compass work (ak8973.ko or maybe ak8975.ko required, apparently backporting needed)
- add net connection via USB cable to a Nokia E72 phone (needs driver providing ttyACM0, apparently cdc_acm.ko)
- fix Z axis negation (besides a modified kernel module, might be possible to do at Android side, not sure)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any ideas whether for any reason there might be a problem with using a hub as far as the device hardware is concerned?

For whatever reason, CONFIG_USB_OTG_BLACKLIST_HUB appears to have been enabled when compiling the kernel, with the result that using a hub (or a device with internal hub) results in the following message (in dmesg output):

<6>[ 4442.619405] usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using usb20_host and address 4
<6>[ 4442.820022] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1a40, idProduct=0101
<6>[ 4442.823873] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
<6>[ 4442.830997] usb 2-1: Product: USB 2.0 Hub [MTT]
<6>[ 4442.837505] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
<4>[ 4442.842263] hub 2-1:1.0: ignoring external hub

So, as kernel source is not available, apparently to enable hubs, binary-patching the kernel would be required, unless a newer firmware contains a kernel which supports hubs.

UPDATE: I now have a way to make an USB hub recognized by run-time binary patch (no need to flash), see page 2 at http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20966-fview-7-pro-tablet/

·
Registered
130 Posts
Some update instructions for 3G:

I plug in the Huawei 3G stick.

After a while the device asks for PIN. I input the PIN. A signal meter (like the one on Android phones) comes up in the top bar, showing signal strength.

After this has happened, storing of APNs will succeed. I enter APN info, select the APN as active, and after waiting a while and a few tries with the browser, the "3G" icon appears in the top bar and blue light lits in the modem.

The Huaewei reports itself as USB id 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E620

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, it seems now I've got the Linux side of the ttyACM0 (Nokia E72) driver working, as well as bluetooth USB dongle driver.

Config file is attached. It's probably not ideal, but seems to get the job done for those drivers I've tested. It's working with the kernel version (cat /proc/version) quoted below, different parameters may be needed for different kernels.

Code:
Linux version 2.6.32.27 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #717 PREEMPT Fri Jul 22 20:11:02 PDT 2011
View attachment config-lanyu910.txt

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other than the (manual/Terminal SU) chmod lines,
has anyone come up with a (proper) working (rooted) image
for the x10 AirPad/Lanyu 910 RockChip-based tablet?

I'm going to try the chmod steps, but I've discoved
(by downloading the supported images from X10.com)
that (even though they say that they provide a rooted image)
the files aren't truly root-enabled as no tools (like SU, etc)
can seem to alter the file system's state (from ro to rw) properly
and have the changes stick.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. ;-(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Other than the (manual/Terminal SU) chmod lines,
has anyone come up with a (proper) working (rooted) image
for the x10 AirPad/Lanyu 910 RockChip-based tablet?

I'm going to try the chmod steps, but I've discoved
(by downloading the supported images from X10.com)
that (even though they say that they provide a rooted image)
the files aren't truly root-enabled as no tools (like SU, etc)
can seem to alter the file system's state (from ro to rw) properly
and have the changes stick.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. ;-(
This is not an issue of "rooted" vs. "not-rooted" --- the root filesystem is a "cramfs" filesystem, which is, by design, a read-only file system. cramfs wikipedia entry

The only possible way to change the contents of the cramfs filesystem and have it "stick" is to get the .img file with the cramfs filesystem off the device, unpack it, modify it, repack it into a cramfs image again, and re-upload it to the device. I believe (though I have never done it) that one could use tools like "rkdump" to retrieve the filesystem images, and then use the "cramfs" tool on a Linux box (or the Cygwin version of cramfs.exe that you can find in "RKTools" if you google around enough) to unpack the image into a directory on a Linux or Windows machine. You'd then modify the contents of this directory tree and repack it with "mkcramfs". I do not believe this process is for the faint of heart, but you can probably figure it out if you study a lot of the forum postings and web articles around. Aiah and others here must be using a similar process to create their customized systems with USB, bluetooth, and GPS support.

The X10 airpad *is* rooted, and you can do lots of things that rooting gets you. But no amount of root privileges will allow you to write a file system type that is intentionally designed to be read-only. This is not a matter of a read/write bit not being set or permission being denied, the actual design of the filesystem is such that one builds its contents on a development platform, compresses it into a cramfs image, then deploys it, and the system provides no capability for it to be written in place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Guys
Any progress on a working BT dongle?

Another handy feature would be enabling "GPS" location as this may open up GPS using tethering to an Android phone.

Any luck with Android 3 (or 4 beta) on a lanyu 910?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Guys
Any progress on a working BT dongle?

Another handy feature would be enabling "GPS" location as this may open up GPS using tethering to an Android phone.

Any luck with Android 3 (or 4 beta) on a lanyu 910?
I beleave jkpjj had
* pl2303 serial usb drivers working on his lanyu, and I have a working ttyUSB based gps support driver.
So usb-serial-gps based on a pl203 interface should be possible.
* jkpjj also had BTdongle more or less working on the linux level (no support on the android side though)

More info on his work in
- Kernel discussion for FVIEW 7" PRO & Lanyu 910 tablets

Sadly enough jkpjj seems to have given up on active development, or at least has been away/inactive sinds mid. november.

For the fview 7"pro experimental BT dongle is working
- but the fview uses a diferent kernel compilation and therefore the results / problems / sollutions are not compatible.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts