Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to trying the Kindle app last night. The first book I downloaded does not open. I get an "Invalid Book" error. It works fine on my PC, and I thought I'd just download it to the PC and transfer it to the tablet, but I don't have the option to do so on my Amazon account. I tried a free book and it works great. The preview of the book I bought is fine. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Up until today Kindle worked great, but today I get "Invalid book"errors, asking me to remove the book and re-download it. I tried that to no avail, even uninstalled the app and re-installed.No go.What's the next step?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I knew. The free book I downloaded works great. I'm guessing that the DRM has something to do with it, based on the fact that I tried to convert both the paid and free (public domain) book using Calibre. The latter converted without a hitch. I had a message on the paid book suggesting I should find a third-party tool to strip the DRM.I'm not advocating piracy. Not at all. In fact, I'd rather get this to work legally. (And no, I haven't stripped the DRM.)EDIT: What did you do today that was different than before? That might provide a starting point for figuring out a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Don't know if it applies here or not, two ongoing issues. 1.kindle needs sdcard installed2.older versions crash when books not downloaded from amazon are installed.Because of market problems older versions are still being d/l and installed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm wondering if they didn't make a change to the Kindle app. It worked fine for me when I first installed it, then hit the same problem you did. If you check the options for the app it's set to update automatically. I'm thinking that they pushed down and update that broke the app. :-(

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
That was speculated before - apparently the app doesn't list everything for our img file - and we're using a 1.6 img.I think though that with DRMed stuff this has to do with their server, which probably checks for DRM validity. Odd things are happening - books disappearing, etc. Calibre has been at the heart of several instances.Try updating kindle (delete and reinstall) and storing the book on the external sdcard. LMK if it keeps happening.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
reflash and you'll have to do it all over agian, btw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Updated to the latest Kindle app in the market. Still sees the free book I d/l from Amazon but won't see the azw file i put in the Kindle directory. Do I need to create a sub directory like the other books?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I already reflashed once to see if I screwed it up somehow; now I'm thinking of reflashing and then installing all the hacks except for the Google experience to see if that makes a difference. I doubt that it will, but I'm grasping at straws here. A purchased book I was reading is now unavailable to me...

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If you purchd it and were reading it, I'm betting it has to do with the device talking to the seller. The DRM on those things has that problem on occasion. I had days where I couldn't read BN books because of a server issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One thing I noticed was that when I reinstalled Kindle for Droid on the Novel, when I went to 'manage my Kindle' page on the Amazon site, I actually had 2 droid devices registered. Did you check Amazon to make sure you only have one Pandigital device linked?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just had the same thing happen (can't open books I purchased) as I was updating to 7_24 then back down to 7_18 when that didn't work for me (sad boring story). And this is the 'brute force' fix, but it worked for me...delete the whole Kindle folder from your sd card, and rename a new Kindle folder. Then go to Amazon manage your kindle site, and select the books to download to your Novel. And then to your Pandigital and sync to update.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.