Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new guy here. I used Nate's hack to open up my white PDN and most of it works but I can't seem to get the Kindle .apk to work - keeps asking me to register (I am registered) and when I do, I get no response - I do get the Kindle startup page but that's all. I put a couple of books on the SD card like I've been told but nada!Pandahome, adw launcher and alkido work but the damn Kindle is stumping me - any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.PS I used the search to look for Kindle issues but I get nothing - either I'm doing that wrong or there's a trick I'm missing. Help!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Do the advanced search within the Pandigital forum.. there have got to be 100 or so posts on just this topic.Look at thread titles.. several of them mention Kindle in the title.. read them all.. there is lots of good info there for anyone trying to make the Kindle app work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
there are over 5 pages in the 'apps compatibility' section: http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-app-compatibility/4448-kindle.htmlbut a couple of items: did you do the modded DVM/JVT? apparently conflicts and you need to remove that.check your kindle acct on Amazon--how many readers are you using (Kindle has a max number)deregister and reregistering PDN I don't know if the newest firmware 8_20 works or not, but 8_06 works w/ Kindle app.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Kindle works fine on roebeet's 8/27 mod of 8/20. 1st time I've tried it & it recognized my Amazon account & password once entered & let me download a free book w/no worries.Sent from my slatedroid-pdn using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions - I checked the 5 compatibility pages and nothing there - similar problems but no solutions - also ran a search on "kindle" and did get a ton of posts but no help - to zsmomma: didn't mod the DVM/JVT (don't even know what that is) and the Amazon site doesn't list the PDN as an android device (yet) - and my Kindle app shows up and quickly says it can't sync and then shows me Menu, download books and other pieces of links that don't work. I've downloaded amazon.kindle.apk and com.amazon.kindle_v1.0.1.79520052.apk and don't know which one is the right one now - I'm comfortable building PCs but this puppy is losing me fast - any other suggestions (be nice!) Ha! Thanks again.
)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I just tried the Kindle app (taken right off the Marketplace) and works as well.Keep in mind that there are different mods available, so each could have unique issues. I'm using the same modded firmware as Mark Adams, which is my own mod with the marketplace builtin. You can find details in the dev section.EDIT: App version I'm using is 1.0.3.81170056, if that helps.Sent from my slatedroid-pdn using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fist things first... When you check your 'manage your kindle' acct on Amazon, no PDN? That would indicate you're not registered. Try uninstalling the kindle app, deleting the folder from the sd card, and reboot--start fresh? Try registering the app with your Amazon acct. open on your computer to confirm registration. I'm running 1.0.0.76480048

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey zsmomma - thanks for helping but I'm a little confused: First, amazon.com doesn't list the PDN as a mobile device or any device - if I ask to register a mobile device (which this is, right?), the PDN is not one of the options; Second, I haven't seen any post that explains what the "folder" is supposed to look like on the SD card - just any folder or does it have to be specific or "kindle-like"? I did get the kindle app to sync but then it goes into the "I'm not doing anything mode" and nothing. I appreciate your patience and I will try to do some of what you suggest but I'm still stumped! Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should be asked to register your Kindle app from your PDN, not the computer. On your computer, you should go to your 'Manage your Kindle' page, and confirm that your PDN is registered.As for the folder on your external SD drive, I believe it's labeled 'Kindle'. When you have the USB connecting your PDN to your computer, the SD drive should have that folder in it.Does that clarify it a little?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all - I was able to get the Kindle to work after I registered it for the fourth time and created the "Kindle" folder on the SD (thanks zsmomma). Weird though, I was able to download a test book from Amazon but a second one wouldn't download for what ever reason - will continue to work on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did you ever get this working correctly?Mine worked for a while then stopped.One thing I noticed though, was that Amazon listed my PDN as android #xxxxx-xx' or something like that. There was no mention of PDN, so don''t necessarily look for that.I am curious if you got it working though and how you did it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did I do it, you ask? I followed the suggestion of zsmomma to go to amazon.com and de-register anything besides my Kindle for Mac - it just happens I had one other Kindle device besides the Mac so it had to be the PDN but it didn't show up as same - it had a weird name 2nd sec_smdk6410. The first time I saw it I had no idea what it represented. So, I followed Nate's instructions on how to hack the PDN in the first place and then found the Kindle app and installed it - one thing I didn't pick up on the first time which may or may not make a difference, was to run the adb.exe before I issued the abd install command line. The next time I tried to open the Kindle app, it asked me to register and so I did. Next I made sure my SD card had a Kindle named folder on it and nothing else - when I tried to download a sample book, it worked. It's still somewhat of a mystery but sometimes if you repeat instruction steps, you end up doing something you might have overlooked the first or second time - in my case, the fourth or fifth. Hope this helps a little - let me know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For just one more time, I went to "manage my account "to delete the sec_smdk(whatever), and it wasn't there ...what was there was robs_droid2, so I thought "what the heck, I don't have a second Droid !" So I deleted that, and re-registered....It worked.I'm registered as a second Droid and reading again. Sent from my sec_smdk6410 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.