Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went from 7/24 to 8/6, and my previous keyboard problems are still present. I have a couple questions regarding this in my attempt to fix. First, when I got my PDN (Firmware some version pre-7/18) I could type really really well on it, quite fast. it was surprisingly responsive for a resistive touchscreen keyboard. When I updated the firmware to 7/24, the keyboard lost responsiveness, and any attempts to type with both thumbs as I used to would frequently result in delays, lag, and dropped characters. It got to be where I would have to type one character at a time, wait for it to appear in the input bar, and then type another one. This is mostly unbearable for someone who wants to use the PDN for any sort of text entry.Now, to brass tacks.-So far I know of the 7/18, 7/24, and 8/6 firmware revisions. What came prior? Mine had an earlier firmware revision when I bought it from BB&B, and the keyboard worked gangbusters. -Does anyone have a repository of the previous firmware packages? I'd like to diff the various firmware updates LatinIME packages to see if there's any big differences between them. If there aren't, it'll tell me that it's not the keyboard giving problems. -The big change I noticed going to 7/24 was the responsiveness change when dragging things around the homescreen. Is it possible that the changes to the touchscreen driver did something to improve dragging responsiveness, but impair keyboard performance? Something along the lines of ignoring taps close together, to drop the number of mistakes made when dragging or some such? I don't know if anyone other than me has noticed this issue. I moved straight from 7/24 to 8/6 using the modified install that removes the userdata image (leaving my apps/homescreen/configuration intact) but prior to that, I did a factory default reset (using the pdn settings app) and then installed the unmodified 7/24 as downloaded from pandigital.com. Am I unique here, or are other people noticing sluggish keyboard response? -C

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have two Novels. Both came with 07-30 firmware from Walgreen's. One, I left at 07-30. The other, I upgraded to 08-06 straight out of the box. Surprisingly, the 08-06 one is having more wifi issues than the 07-30, and it also seems slower. Weird, huh?Addendum: now that I think about it, I think I forgot to change the wireless powersaving to CAM on the 08-06.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same experience as you. Before I did anything my keyboard worked great. I was on the 7/18 fw. With the new fw my dragging is a million times better, but my typing is much less responsive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I general. I find the stock Android on-screen keyboard to be lacking in responsiveness. On my Samsung Moment, I am using Slide-It keyboard and it has been an improvement. It would be interesting to hear from those that have hacked as to whether any keyboard replacements have worked on the PDN.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the alternate keyboards work, some do not. I did use an alternate for a minute or two to see if it worked better (I forget which one it was, this was a while back) but the responsiveness was the same.Is SlideIt Free/Shareware, or is it commercial? If it's freeware, can you post a link to the apk? Cheers!-C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts