Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I installed the 7/24 update, and although responsiveness has greatly improved in a lot of areas, the keyboard has lost pretty much all usefulness. It used to be that I could type fairly quickly on it, and it would lag, take a second or two to catch up, but would do so. Now I notice that its just dropping characters entirely, and I have to make sure and wait for each character to appear on the line before I hit the next one. This makes typing a massive chore, and next to impossible. Anyone else experiencing this? I hear that Better Keyboard works, anyone have any luck with other freeware replacement keyboards? I tried Swype and the HTC keyboard, but no dice. Swype complained of an incorrect screen resolution, and the HTC just kicked the bucket.Cheers!-C

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm noticing this lag as well since the 7/24 (modified-)firmware update. I experienced a loss of screen calibration since the update, too, which was extremely noticeable when using the keyboard (I was having to tap below each target key entirely to trigger it).Ran the PD calibration, and so far, so good--as far as hitting the right keys go, anyway--but the lag as you describe remains. It's frustrating me now considering it was previously surprisingly quick and responsive. I'm going to subject it to a few (more) reboots and resets and see if it shakes something loose...

·
Registered
79 Posts
After turning it off and back on, I have audible clicks again. I went back into PD's calibration and selected "default"--which didn't help at all before--and it's mostly-OK now. I still miss a few characters here and there (mostly from trying to type too quickly), but it's much improved if not entirely resolved now since my previous post, after rebooting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran the Modified firmware update as well. I still have the audible clicks and such, but even after recalibrating with the calibration utility in PDSystemSetting, and trying the default calibration; its the same as before. Anyone else experiencing similar? -C

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Results are same/similar upon installing SmartKeyboard Pro 1.3.1, and after clearing /data/dalvik-cache. this is really making me want to roll back firmware, since I use the PDN for a lot of web stuff, and even typing a URL on the onscreen as it is, is rather painful.-C

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Go into the "PDSystemSetting" app, and you'll see the keyboard and system sounds checkbox under "General". That's also the tab to change the date/time for (I assume) the PD default apps.I haven't really noticed any lag, and I actually found the keyboard to be more accurate. However, I may have needed to re-calibrate which the firmware forced me to do. I also did the full wipe and not the custom firmware, btw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: used the PDSystemSetting app to reset to factory defaults, then downloaded and applied the official pandigital update (unmodified). Keyboard problem remains the same. Reinstalled my apps, and no change. Anyone else have similar problems?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm pretty sure they updated the latinime.apk in this release, which is the keyboard. (They also updated PDSettings.apk, which could also cause issues when you're trying to configure, but I'd try LatinIME.apk first). You might want to try pushing the old version from 7/18 to see if it fixes it.adb remountadb shell mv /system/app/LatinIME.apk LatinIME.apk.724adb push LatinIME.apk /system/app/(optional)adb shell mv /system/app/PDSettings.apk PDSettings.apk.724adb push PDSettings.apk /system/app/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pushed out both APKs and compared notes. Still same problem. It might help to note that I used an alternate keyboard (forget which one, I'll have to look) with the same results as the default android keyboard (lag, inaccuracy, etc.) so I don't think it's the keyboard APK. I think it may have something to do with the stuff that they tweaked with the touchscreen in order to improve responsiveness. May've done something to reduce sensitivity to presses made close together so you don't wind up getting unpredictable oddities with the touchscreen. Hopefully some fix can be found for this, I'd like to be able to type things again! -C

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not yet. What was the firmware before 7/18? I went from the firmware that was there from when I bought it at BB&B to 7.24. I'm not sure what the date was, but I remember the beginning of july. Is there a list of the released updates? Willing to try. Is there a place I can download previous firmware versions? -C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.