Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just get throughput be-bopping all over the place, but it's almost finished...[EDIT]...appears to be missing the actual kernel source to me... although I have not finished fishing through all the directories I did a couple finds for a few common kernel files which didn't turn up... i.e. find . -iname "panic.c" -print and mutex.c return nothing...looks like it has some extra useful stuff though...[/EDIT]

·
Registered
576 Posts
intentional double post to highlight above... lots of stuff in the archive, but everything I've checked so far has a mod date of 7/13/10 ...no kernel source... oops...[EDIT]...and I got all excited for a picosecond when I glanced up and saw something flyby that I misinterpreted as opengles when it was likely just openssl... *sigh*...2010-07-13 09:43 hmm....[/EDIT]

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the kernel source is not in this release, Augen sure is good at half assing nearly everything they do. I hope there is still some useful items within the release. BTW thanks Mp4 for fixing the Title.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm not at home, so i cannot download large files, what does this contain? A few .tgz files with clean source of the open-source programs they used on the Gentouch? This is common practice for tw companies, they just claim everything else is under NDA, and release what you've got now..(as a 'gpl package' )

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='sifon187;50607]If the kernel source is not in this release' date=' Augen sure is good at half assing nearly everything they do. I hope there is still some useful items within the release. BTW thanks Mp4 for fixing the Title.[/QUOTE']It's not there, just Dalvik, random daemons & libs... all dated the 7/13/10 9:4Xish i.e. SNAFU probably not even what was used in any sort of recent build... it's like 355MB or so compressed, almost 1GB uncompressed of crap...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had an inkling this was going to be the case........[EDIT] I just got off the phone with Daniel from Augen, and he's reaching out to the ODM regarding the source that was just released. He's making the effort to get us the latest source for the most recent update. I've also mentioned that to truly comply with the GPL that most companies also release the binaries to proprietary drivers along with the kernel changes they've incorporated to support the drivers. For those who've been asking....and you know who you are....I also mentioned the issue with OpenGL 3D. So.....stay tuned folks, Augen is really stepping up to the plate here at the edge of a holiday weekend to give their customers what they're asking for. This could get interesting.[/EDIT]

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I'm watching this closely. If Pandiginuts get the code first, it will be a lever for the Augenites, and vice versa. We're all in the same open-source fight here....

·
Registered
784 Posts
None of these companies bought the actual SDK from Telechips. If you're putting a ~$150-200 tablet on the market, you need to keep the cost down.So, all of the work is outsourced to external companies, that they hired to program the firmware for them.Those external companies (Korea, India, sometimes China) have the cheap labor force (aka programmers) make firmware.And, those externals are the guys who sign the NDA's with Telechips so they can buy the SDK which isn't cheap (these costs are being saved by Augen for example.)The chance of these tiny companies violating the NDA for the buyer(Augen) is slim. I've seen NDA's and the penalties are very high..sometimes those documents are inside dev kit leaks that less scrupulous employees sometimes put out :)Sure, GPL is legal and binding in de USA and Europe, but this doesn't mean that somebody in India, China or South Korea will follow it.. but there are off course examples enough on gpl-violations.org that should serve as a big fat warning to those who don't follow it

·
Registered
576 Posts
You guys ever hear anything more from Dan? I see that Dell has released EVERYTHING(! apparently icluding Apache licensed modded sources) for the Streak now... ...and Archos released their GPL stuff a while back..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.