Android Tablets Forum banner

Just exchanged my Novel for one that wasn't cracking.......hopefully!

23K views 219 replies 52 participants last post by  lawman 
#1 ·
Today, I noticed that my 2 week old Novel was beginning to crack around the edges. Don't know when it started, but I guess handling showed the cracks better when they got dirty. First shot is the first crack I noticed. Then found the other two. Notice the second shot shows the cracks radiating up onto the face of the bezel. I have not abused the unit, so this may be a problem with the plastic. Maybe a plastics expert will chime in. All of the cracks seem to be right at a transition in the mold & the second one really concerns me, as I have seen this sort of fracturing on proto or pilot builds that used inferior, brittle plastic. Anyway, here you are:
I can see you all getting out the magnifying glasses now. I hope this is not a common problem, not just for our sake, but for Pandigital's sake. I would like to see them do well. Cheers,kevBTW I have had the bottom cover off, but it was not stressful to remove & I honectly don't think that I induced any of this damage & I'm sticking with that story!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just noticed a bunch of small cracks forming on the front of mine as well (on all four corners, it looks like...) This is surprising because it's basically just sat on a shelf for the week I've had it since I can't get the stupid thing to stay asleep. I haven't taken the back off, taken it anywhere, dropped it, or done anything else to put stress on it. I'm hesitant to exchange it, since I suspect that the replacement will have exactly the same problem. I guess I'll wait a few days and see how this pans out. I really want to like this device, but all these issues are making it difficult...

#3 ·
[quote name='jjlange;26007]Just noticed a bunch of small cracks forming on the front of mine as well (on all four corners' date=' it looks like...) This is surprising because it's basically just sat on a shelf for the week I've had it since I can't get the stupid thing to stay asleep. I haven't taken the back off, taken it anywhere, dropped it, or done anything else to put stress on it. I'm hesitant to exchange it, since I suspect that the replacement will have exactly the same problem. I guess I'll wait a few days and see how this pans out. I really want to like this device, but all these issues are making it difficult...[/QUOTE']Exact same thing here - small hairline cracks in the plastic on the edges of my Novel.

#6 ·
thedarkbackward;26012 said:
Exact same thing here - small hairline cracks in the plastic on the edges of my Novel.
I noticed one hairline crack next to the volume button, on the top part of the white plastic frame few days ago. No mishandling, been very careful with the PDN. Don't know if it came like this, but haven't noticed the crack spreading or new ones showing (probably will start seeing them after I post this
, Murphy's law
). Have to take the PDN under a bright sunlight to see the crack.

#12 ·
Mine has one crack about 1.25" long right in the middle of the right side -- below the volume buttons. It's on the top side of the case, not the removable back part, right where bugeyed shows his -- right where it creases to form the bezel. Never noticed it until I read this thread and went looking. Don't need a magnifying glass, either. I've been telling my sister how great the PDN is and she finally went out and bought one today. I'm supposed to show her how to hack it on Monday. I'll have to check it to see if it has any cracks out of the box.

#13 ·
Well, that makes me feel better about the relatively small crack in mine. It's on the top right corner front in the glossy part. I noticed it a few days ago, but figured it was just a common white glossy problem. Even the white iPhone 3's had a terrible problem with cracks, and my white DS cracked too.

#14 ·
Mine has it all. When I got it, it had a couple of small chips at the corner. Now there are many hairline cracks in the flat bezel which continue to increase and are most concentrated in the upper right corner and along the top. I just discovered that I also have the long more visible cracks along the edges.

#19 ·
oneglory;26399 said:
just looked at mine and also had a crack running on the back cover,,, i went to their site and told them and and waiting for a response,, i can not really return it for i took the upc off the box,, , also i ran a google search and found this couple of lines written ..about he novel . " Pandigital Novel Reader ... is molded from thick layers of plastic and covered ... Minerva Press which went into liquidation after sending me the page proofs.."not much said but pressed plasic, which may pull apart,,,

#20 ·
I exchanged mine at BB&B without the UPC with no problem. They didn't even want to take the new UPC off the new box, even when I suggested it. They don't care, even the manager was just curious about the problem, never suspicious.

#21 ·
just got this from them,,We suggest exchange the unit at the retailer. If they do not have any available for exchange, please call our center.We can best help you through our toll free customer service line. Please give us a call at (1-800) 715-5354 during the hours listed below. When you call, please have your Novel and receipt with you and give the service agent the phone number or email address that you recorded here so that we are able to quickly access your history.Your Pandigital Novel carries a 1 year warranty against defects that begins on the original date of purchase. The purchase date must be validated by a receipt.Thank you for choosing Pandigital. We look forward to helping you find a solution to your problem.Best Regards,Pandigital Support CenterPhone: (1-800) 715-5354Monday - Friday 10am -7pm ESTSaturday 10am - 4pm EST

#22 ·
Pretty standard. My dad used to call it the Montgomery Wards Guarantee. "If it doesn't work, bring it back & we will give you one just like it." After exchanging mine & getting one with a broken SD slot latch, I will hope my newest one doesn't start cracking & if it does, hope for an acknowledgment from PD & promise to replace it when a fix is implemented. Or! I would take a free gel cover right now!!!!!Cheers,kev

#23 ·
mrvd123;26476]just got this from them said:
I got the same thing:
Dear Pandigital Customer,Thank you for your recent email concerning your Pandigital Novel. We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with it. We at Pandigital apologize for the delay responding to your e-mail. It has been unexpectedly busy both through e-mails and calls. We hope that our response to your e-mail is helpful.Unfortunately we suggest exchanging the unit at the place of purchase. Sorry for any trouble this causes.We can best help you through our toll free customer service line. Please give us a call at (1-800) 715-5354 during the hours listed below. When you call, please have your Novel and receipt with you and give the service agent the phone number or email address that you recorded here so that we are able to quickly access your history.Your Pandigital Novel carries a 1 year warranty against defects that begins on the original date of purchase. The purchase date must be validated by a receipt.Thank you for choosing Pandigital. We look forward to helping you find a solution to your problem.Best Regards,Pandigital Support CenterPhone: (1-800) 715-5354Monday - Friday 10am -7pm ESTSaturday 10am - 4pm ESTwww.pandigital.net
+1 for pandigital though...I'm sure they have been inundated with questions/comments/complaints and they still got back to me within 5 hours.

#24 ·
When I exchanged my non-working SD slot Novel, the manager said that they have replaced several that people said froze on them. He is saying that about once a week you should push the reset button. (Whether it needs it or not?)PD is going to have an issue with how this unit is sold, from people who have no clue that it may lock up from time to time & call it broken. These same people will not do any FW updates either. Maybe we will see a bunch of refurbed unit in the market soon? Hope this doesn't discourage the bean counters at PD! Cheers,kev

#26 ·
BB&B are not even going to turn it on. If you are worried about PD reacting to it in some way, maybe. How do you think OD is feeling about this hacking stuff? OMO, as long as the hacking is not causing the issues that they have to deal with (RTVs) they should not mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.