Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I always seem to be a behind the times, and I'm sure someone will say "been done."However, using the same method of booting Ubuntu on the Nexus I have been able to boot it on the PDN.First of all, there is no reason for doing this... It is painfully slow. Secondly, the scripts used for the nexus should not be used on the PDN. Once I have had a chance to rewrite the scripts, I will post them and instructions if there is any interest. I will also post some pics soon.e_tSorry for the wait, here you go. This is mostly from memory, so don't kill me if i did not get it 100% correct. I will make corrections as needed.Following along with this guide I was able to first get it running, I wanted to include it for the sake of giving due credit:How to Install Ubuntu on Your Nexus One/Android! | Nexus One Hacks Blog
Code:
Before we get started you will need 2+gb free on your sd-card.1. Obviously, make sure you are rooted.2. Download Ubuntu and extract to your sd-card in a folder called "ubuntu"	Here: [URL=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FALJFT3L]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FALJFT3L[/URL]	Or Here: [URL=http://www.filefactory.com/file/b26fg8g/n/ubuntu.zip3]http://www.filefactory.com/file/b26fg8g/n/ubuntu.zip3[/URL]. Using whatever methode you like, get busybox. (There is a busybox app in the marketplace for rooted devices.  Sorry, I don't know where an apk is.)4. Attach your PDN to your PC, without unplugging, disconnect from the drives however is suitable to your OS. (eg. Safely Remove Hardware) Only disconnect from the flash drives not the PDN itself.5. Time for adb shell (make sure to remount first):	5a. #mount -w -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard (this will mount your sd so we can access it from adb.)	5b. #modprobe ext2 (I'm going from memory, and I do not remember running this, but it is in the ".sh")	5c. #mkdir /data/local/mnt	5d. #cp -f /sdcard/ubuntu/fsrw /system/bin	5e. #cp -f /sdcard/ubuntu/bootubuntu /system/bin	5f. #cp -f /sdcard/ubuntu/unionfs /system/bin	5g. #cp -f /sdcard/ubuntu/mountonly /system/bin	5h. #chmod 4777 /sdcard/ubuntu/*	5i. #chmod 4777 /system/bin/fsrw	5j. #chmod 4777 /system/bin/bootubuntu	5k. #chmod 4777 /system/bin/unionfs	5l. #chmod 4777 /system/bin/mountonly6. #bootubuntu (you should get a prompt "[email protected]")At this point you are technically running Ubuntu.7. Get X11 running. (These commands are from the Ubuntu prompt.)	7a. #apt-get update	7b. #apt-get install tightvncserver	7c. #apt-get install lxde	7d. #export USER=root	7e. #vncserver -geometry 800x600	7f. (Set a VNC password, dont forget it.)8. These next commands are a round about way of editing config files using cat.  Many commands may echo back, that is ok.)	8a. #cat > /root/.vnc/xstartup		#!/bin/sh		xrdb $HOME/.Xresources		xsetroot -solid grey		icewm &		lxsession	8b. Ctrl+D twice and Enter. (Saves changes)	8c. #cat > front		export USER=root		cd /		rm -r -f tmp		mkdir tmp		cd /		vncserver -geometry 800x600	8d. Ctrl+D twice and Enter.	8e. #cat front /root/.bashrc > temp	8f. #cp temp /root/.bashrc9. Use a VNC app from the PDN to access the Ubuntu GUI.  (Get an apk here: [URL=http://code.google.com/p/android-vnc-viewer/downloads/list]http://code.google.com/p/android-vnc-viewer/downloads/list[/URL] ) Connect to localhost on port 5901.
Known issues:I have not been able to disconnect my PDN from my computer and use Ubuntu. Back button will clear the Device Busy dialog. Your VNC app can be run then. It is SLOW, it may seem locked up, but it can take many min to fully load.To run again, repeat steps 4, 5a, and 6Good luck guys!!

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
And yet it works. This thing is unbrickable. ::crosses fingers, turns 'round three times and spits while knocking on wood::

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick tease.With the new FW drop I will be spending my time getting everything set back up and testing the new FW. More soon.e_tedit: Sorry for the terrible quality, my PDN is borrowing my cameras SD.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Would very much like more information on this. Have you considered trying to use a different desktop for speed reasons? (Say LXDE via Lubuntu instead of Ubuntu's Gnome desktop--and I say this as a Gnome fan.) Are there any optimizations that can be done to speed things up? How well does the touchscreen work?--bornagainpenguin

·
Registered
576 Posts
Xfce is pretty lightweight when I last used it several years ago on an old nb.Also was another even lighter based on blackbox IIRC, name escapes me ATM, so I'll look up in a bit.Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
fluxbox! Needs some configuration OOB though or it's sort of useless, plus it uses a menuing system which can get to be pretty drastic...Anyways, as I'm sure you know, here's a decent wikipedia page on various windows managers most of which I have used, but not for years as recently I've been switching between GNOME and KDE depending upon which sucked the least ATM which has recently been GNOME + compiz + metacity.Comparison of X window managers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(I need to get a better kb going on the GT... took forever to enter that little message above...)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
krusko is correct, that is why I did not post as a development thread. I am using LXDE, but something lighter would be much preferred. As of right now, I cannot even get firefox to load, I think due to a lack of memory. I hope with the new FW maybe it will be a little smoother, but I doubt it.If anyone is wanting to try this, I used this guide: How to Install Ubuntu on Your Nexus One/Android! The most important thing, do not use the ubuntu.sh, it changes some permissions in /system/bin. This will cause a black screen on reboot. If you step through the ubuntu.sh manually and just change permissions on the files that are added it should work fine. I am having some issues currently with my current PDN setup on the new FW, so I may not be of much help until I get that sorted out. Sorry for the wait guys.e_tedit: You will need an SD with more than 2GB free to do this.

·
Registered
135 Posts
[quote name='edit_text;45833]The most important thing' date=' do not use the ubuntu.sh, it changes some permissions in /system/bin. This will cause a black screen on reboot. If you step through the ubuntu.sh manually and just change permissions on the files that are added it should work fine. I am having some issues currently with my current PDN setup on the new FW, so I may not be of much help until I get that sorted out. Sorry for the wait guys.[/QUOTE'] Could you elaborate your remark about "just change permissions on the files that are added" -- specifically, how would I find out exactly which files are added?THANKS!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can we get a HOWTO walkthru on how to install Ubuntu on out beloved PDN? I believe using XFCE or LXDE would be memory friendly, pluse we would need to know how to make atleast a (totalRam) * 2 swapfile.

·
Registered
135 Posts
[quote name='Solo-dev;51350]Can we get a HOWTO walkthru on how to install Ubuntu on out beloved PDN? I believe using XFCE or LXDE would be memory friendly' date=' pluse we would need to know how to make atleast a (totalRam) * 2 swapfile.[/QUOTE'] I second the idea of a HOWTO for installation and /swap ![EDIT] Netbook edition would be great too, but I don't know if there is an ARM port for these...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.