Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hidey Ho droid community,I am waiting for my Eken M001 to be delivered shortly, I was wondering where to begin with making the tablet a little more snappier then stock out of the box. I have read reviews about youtube not working, video playback problems, etc... that is how I found this place and have been reading the solutions to many of the devices problems that the users here have fixed.So what should be the absolute first thing I do? I really only plan to use the eken to surf the web, post twitter updates, IM. Occasionally when I travel I might pack this instead of my netbook to watch videos. Am I right in assuming it supports mp4 of lower quality videos natively?Anyways hope to meet some new friends here and then show my friends in real life that apple is not the only tablet alternative out there.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Without doubt the first thing to do is to install custom firmware (found in either the Downloads or Tear It Apart>ROM Development sections). It's personal preference from there on really, there are multiple firmwares you could install. Personally I use Ecotox's and it works wonderfully, YouTube and all.Enjoy your stay

·
Registered
19 Posts
First check the power adapter and make sure its a 1.5amp. Mine came with a 1amp and that willnot work. I would not even use it if it has a 1amp. Get a universal adapter.Download and flash to ECOTOX_ModM001Firmware_v3.6.7.3.6. Makes it much snappier.You can find a lof of software from markets like --http://www.androidfreeware.org/There are many other out there as well.Have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any tutorials on the flashing/formatting of the SD cards, and installing it? I saw a tutorial on youtube but it was was time compressed to speed things up. Since droid is a linux based OS, will it not have trouble booting from a formatted fat 32 SD card? Or is it as simple as obtaining the firmware, unzipping, placing on the sd card, popping that in the tablet then booting up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It really is that simple.I extracted the zipped files the flash came in...everyone says to use 7zip and not to use winrar..theysay winrar messes up some if the files on the decomoression...so I installed 7zip and used thatto extract the files...there was a SCRIPT folder...place that folder into the root of the SD cardwith the device turned off. Once the card is insterted turn on the device and it will start theprocess autimatically...There is a Youtube vid of it...lemme find it real quick...
Once its flashed it never has to be flashed again unless you want a different rom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dunno...I am new here myself and haven't gone through all of the posts...I can tell you I have a 16GB card and that is what I flashed mine on and it worked okay..But if you read its safer with a 4gb or smaller...if you have a small one it might begood to do that...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any suggestions on how to create mp4 videos for playback on the eken, or video players for better playback? I realize the videos need to be of really low resolution due to the weak cpu/gpu of the eken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.