Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a biochemistry major and would like to use this for my textbooks. What kind of performance can I expect if loading large PDF files such as 25 - 200 Mb. I am looking for a simple tablet until the Adam is released by Notion Ink. Also, does anyone know of an app that will allow handwritten notes as I must draw chemical compounds frequently? I would love to stop carrying around spirals of notes. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
[quote author=christophervelez link=topic=360.msg3105#msg3105 date=1275126088]I am a biochemistry major and would like to use this for my textbooks. What kind of performance can I expect if loading large PDF files such as 25 - 200 Mb. I am looking for a simple tablet until the Adam is released by Notion Ink. Also, does anyone know of an app that will allow handwritten notes as I must draw chemical compounds frequently? I would love to stop carrying around spirals of notes. Thanks for any info.[/quote]I still have not received mine ... should come early next week.But from what I have seen I think it is a clear NOAny netbook would serve you much better.350MHz ARM CPU and 128MB RAM combined with a virtual machine .... that slows things down pretty much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It takes about 2 minutes to load one pdf page. Large pdf files will not load. No handwriting recognition software.Better to get a cheap netbook or wait for the Adam.

·
Registered
258 Posts
you coud use the eken for read the small y large pdf files, you have to convert the files pdf to jpg files and read it with the comic reader(see in the forum)you could do this with many programs , but is more easy to download and install pdf creator. you open the pdf file, go to print, and use the pdf greator options and pint in jpg files.if you have the money, go for the adam.
, is a great machine. but... you have see the kobo reader?.this is a e-ink reader, is cheap, $150 . and this open the pdf files.bye

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if PDF's take that long to load i'll wait for the Adam. Also, im not looking for handwriting recognition software, merely something I can take notes on. I have to draw molecules and such so a program like penultimate for the IPAD would be ideal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
[quote author=shorty link=topic=360.msg3115#msg3115 date=1275130277]It takes about 2 minutes to load one pdf page.[/quote]Can't second that!I read PDF-comics (pure images) and it takes about 1-2 seconds to load the next page.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a whole slew of tablet touchscreen devices. The Eken is NOT the one to use for your needs. Actually, any of my tablets running an OS not developed for a phone could easily meet your needs... look for any one like that. ((ebay has many older tablet computers which could meet classroom usage... for low used prices))

·
Registered
38 Posts
[quote author=ch4rlii link=topic=360.msg3342#msg3342 date=1275204158][quote author=shorty link=topic=360.msg3115#msg3115 date=1275130277]It takes about 2 minutes to load one pdf page.[/quote]Can't second that!I read PDF-comics (pure images) and it takes about 1-2 seconds to load the next page.[/quote]I second thisI was using the PDF reader in documents to go as an ereader. I could load each page in 1-2 seconds. Read as fast as a real book.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/quote]Can't second that!I read PDF-comics (pure images) and it takes about 1-2 seconds to load the next page.[/quote][/quote]I second thisI was using the PDF reader in documents to go as an ereader. I could load each page in 1-2 seconds. Read as fast as a real book.[/quote]What app are you guys using to read PDF's?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've used Documents To Go to read some PDFs, but honestly it's not that smooth. It does take a few seconds to load each page, but my iPhone is so much quicker with bigger PDFs!Maybe try the aPad since that gives better performance? As a student though, you'd probably be better off with a netbook since you'd get a lot more functionality out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts