Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, seems that my brand-new M001 was bricked in the first 30 minutes of use. After playing around with the original firmware for about 30 mins I decided to try some of the custom ones available here on SlateDroid. To make the story short: I was hasty and turned off the deivce before the update was finished, and now it won't boot anymore.What happens: I have the power light and nothing else. If I plug in the charger (alternative, the original one died after 10 mins) I get a charging light too. The screen won't turn on, and there is no sign of activity when I connect the M001 to a PC. Seems like a true brick.What I have tried: The reset button doesn't help, and the device seems to ignore every attempt to run another firmware upgrade from an SD card. It just sits there, doing nothing, power light on and nothing else. I have tried to let the battery drain completely overnight and plug it into the charger with an SD card on the slot, but didn't get any results.Extra info: The device is an Eken M001 that came with ROM 1.7.1. Problem happened when I tried to upgrade do Ecotox's latest firmware, but it was my fault. Is there any way to recover this M001, even if it involves opening the device? I have no problems with that, and the warranty is busted anyways. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Mike;9939 said:
I hit mine on a desk and that seemed to do the trick.
:-0Not a suggested repair method.
Mike;9939 said:
Try re-loading the firmware back on.
AFTER banging it on a desk?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, you got yourself in a pickle...a $100.00 pickle..You need the current firmware to flash any new firmware..and if the current firmware is hosed beyond booting..what's left?You can try to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds then tryturning it back on..But I think you just have a brick...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm... could it be related to the Ecotox firmware? The update process started all right, I saw a few messages on the screen and then it went blank. I left the device alone for about 5 minutes and, upon returning and finding the screen still blank, I thought the update processess had finished and turned off the tablet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi imprezzadude,I will try, but as I said the tablet refused every firmware upgrade attempt so far. When I turn it on I have just the power light and nothing else happens. I will let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote name='orlandotek;10044]Yeah' date=' you got yourself in a pickle...a $100.00 pickle..You need the current firmware to flash any new firmware..and if the current firmware is hosed beyond booting..what's left?[/QUOTE']Well, I was hoping it would have some kind of "secret recovery and anti-brick firmware" not touched by the normal update process, but so far...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah in a perfect world that would be nice...I don't know everything about these things but I have been in the IT business/world for the better part of 15 years...my expereince is going to tell me its highly unlikely in these units that's going to be the case...wish I had a better answer for you..FYI: I flashed mine with the Econ rom and it seemed to work okay...worked like I saw it on the video on Youtube..took less than 5 minutes than ask to reboot after...I hope others read this post that know a bit more and maybe they have more suggestions for you...

·
Registered
150 Posts
[quote name='Rigues;13985]Pipoi' date=' do you have the specs for the cable, and details on the reflashing process? Or a link to were you read that? Thanks![/QUOTE']Rigues, this link isn't specific to un-bricking, but it does have a lot of information on rigging up a serial cable and console, plus log messages, etc. Good luck!http://projectgus.com/2010/06/eken-m001-teardown-serial-consol/Also, when I flashed with Ecotox 1.1.1 firmware, I found that it did not take long at all. There weren't any long blank screens that I remember. It seemed to provide continuing status messages in a terminal format through the whole process, and ended by asking me to remove the card and reboot. I suspect something went wrong in your case during the flashing process if you were using ecotox 1.1.1, not that you interrupted it too soon. Other firmware might be different.EDIT: Further thoughts- If your card wasn't properly formatted (and I have heard that the formatter used does make a difference) then perhaps that might explain the problem, and also why you can't get it to work with other firmware on the same SD card now:I used the Eken itself to format my card, so I was sure that it would be compatible. I used a 2 gig high speed card (I've read that smaller capacity cards are preferred -- and I seem to recall that FAT32 had maybe a 4 gig file size limit --- not sure that would apply since there are no files anywhere near that large in firmware). Anyway, since I know 2 gig cards work, maybe make sure your card is 2 gig or smaller.Then reformat it. There's apparently a Panasonic formatter I saw referred to somewhere in this forum that creates a proper format for the Eken -- search for that. Or perhaps you know someone else who has an Eken and can format your card with it. EDIT: Found it:http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/index.htmlIf you're in the US, failing all of the above, and you don't mind snail mail, I could format it for you, and put on ecotox 1.1.1 (or whatever firmware you want to try with), since the format and file were known good on mine.Finally, if you do open the case and go the RS-232 serial terminal route, you will find out if the tablet is truly bricked. If there is no response here, you're probably out of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VTPAD, thanks for the reply. The card I am using is a 512 MB micro SD card with an adapter. I had read about the update process before I tried, and decided to play it safe.The card was formatted as FAT 32 both under Windows and under Linux, but I will try the Panasonic formatter and let you know of the results. At least it can't get any worse :pI live in Brazil, so mailing you a card is out of question, but thanks for the offer. And if I end up opening the device, I will try to do my best to get good pictures and video (I have the right equipment) of the process and of the innards, so at least my M001 will not have died in vain

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good luck Rigues!I guess there is one final method if serial terminal is dead, and that is to hard program the chip. But that requires making connections with a hardware programmer and having a copy of the binary to program in. Pretty much out of the question.Oh,well, one other thing -- maybe it's dead for other reasons than firmware -- check battery connections and voltages, of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was updating the firmware and pulled the the memory card in error causing my M001 to brick. Nothing I've tried got my unit to boot, so I decided to contact the seller and the Eken Group. First to respond was the Eken Group and finally my seller with firmware to restore the table, but it has not worked. So, now I'm requesting to return my M001 for repair. Waiting to get a return address to ship my unit back and will let everyone know the outcome in the future. This bricking situation seems to have happened to many others which is a little suspect about the stability of the M001? I found it frustrating the seller had been a little slow responding to my emails and only due persistence that I got a response. In all fairness, the Eken Group responded quickly and suggested that I contact my seller for repairs. Highly recommend everyone with this problem of bricking contact their seller to address this problem. If enough of us make a fuss, just maybe we can get some answers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.