Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the GTAB dead (or more so the Android)? The development of new ROM's have slowed and the long wait for video drivers and the release of more code so we can run HoneyComb one has to wonder. The very thing that makes Android product so great begs the question to be asked. It makes one wonder why a supposed open source code appears to be the held from it's users. The day of Android may have peaked too early with the stagnation of it's OS and failed promises. I have never been an Apple fan, but they do work and well. It has made me wonder if it is time for a change.

·
FW Developer
511 Posts
I think I will hold off a little bit longer on the question of if the life support plug has been pulled on the gtab (or any *cheap* Tegra tablet for that matter), until I see what happens with ICS (Android 4.0) and Nvidias' willingness to release drivers for Tegra on that platform.

Till then, there are plenty of solid Froyo and Gingerbread roms that have been put together to keep me busy tweaking and playing with my favorite little underdog tablet. I think things could get even better if the custom kernel being built works out.

As for the OS failing its promises, I dont think thats the case. I feel Google stuck by its word and tried to tightly control Android 3. Where they failed was that they waited this long to do it. If they had controlled the release of their previous versions, vendors would have actually waited to release tablets with a tablet oriented OS instead of hacking support into phone OS's. On the flip side of the coin is the fact that we probably wouldn't have any of the cheap tablets we see on the market today (including the gtab) if it happened that way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Really should thank them for rushing out a tablet with great hardware and a screwed up OS - I couldn't have afforded it otherwise and with Brilliant Corners its all I want for now. If someone ports ICS to it I may upgrade - but I feel no rush. Gingerbread I have on my phone and I don't see the big deal about it. A Gtab is not for the masses maybe - but its great for the more "technologically inclined" among us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would not own a tablet if it hadn't been for the gtab. I have 2 young kids, and money is tight, and I couldn't justify spending $400+ for a decent toy to tinker with. Got my gtab for $190 on ebay, couldn't be happier. If support is dead, so be it. Clemsyn just released a new update a couple of days ago, so there's definitely still interest. I feel there are enough ROMs out there to play with, and in 2 weeks I have tried about 8 different roms. I stick with C&C because Skype works with video, and I definitely use that. I can only see myself wanting a new tablet if one comes out that is really cheap, very hackable, and has built-in gps and 3-4g. But I can get gps and 3g tethered from my phone, so it's really not a big deal. I love this forum, btw, without the forums and developers these tablets would be crap!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with jasonofx. Last spring I was telling anyone who cared (ok, my dog) I was going to wait a year for prices to come down before I even considered a tablet. I have a netbook, a kindle, I'm not spending $400+ on a tablet.

Then in June the g-tab hits $249; had to do it. I put cyanogen on first, then went to HC Flashback in July and haven't looked back. Still a very active thread; new version just the other day. Kudos to TBardelljr, Clemsyn, and the other develpers/testers/helpers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
To answer the original poster: The GTab was "dead" when most of us bought it.

Holy crap, we Android users are a spoiled lot (myself included.) If we aren't getting updates at least once or twice a week or some new rom to try, we're in panic mode that our favorite toy has been abandoned. You young whippersnappers don't remember the days of things like the Commodore 64, Palm Pilot, etc. Whatever OS you had on your unit was what you were stuck with.

By my reckoning, there are 9 roms that have been updated in the past 60 days, not counting Xbuntu. I mean, seriously: Occasionally, it's OK to stop flashing and start actually using the darn thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anything, user forums brought the g-Tab back to life after vendor support became moribund. My biggest problem is deciding what ROM I want to move to next. Bottle of Smoke has been on mine for a while now, time for a change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey all
I put Robeet's TNT Lite on my Gtab back in the spring, and, have been using it ever since. I realized that Honeycomb wouldn't be a 100% working alternative a while back, so, occasionally I'll check back and see if anything new has arrived, and if it hasn't, I go back to using the Gtab as a great tablet. If a port comes out for Ice Cream Sandwich,or if the new KDE plasma (which I just heard has had a successful experimental port to Tegra 2 machines) becomes a reality, I'll give it a try. Until then, like was said in a previous post,use the damn thing. It's really a great netbook alternative. Besides, all rooted up with a VPN, it's a device even Anonymous would be proud to own. Heh.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to see the video drivers released...

·
Registered
14 Posts
video would be nice, but it's not a priority for me. I'm using Flashback 10.1 and absolutely love it because it's stable, fast, slick, and simple. All the apps important to me, such as Google Talk, Skype (audio), Evernote, Springpad, mail & calendar (hosted exchange & gmail) and the standard social media stuff work well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Seeing that they just started alpha testing on the .36 kernel, I would say there is still some life in the gTab. I'm anxiously patiently waiting for the kernel work to get to a stable point, especially since they seem to already have hardware acceleration working. This will really open the door for better Honeycomb compatibility, and even the possibility of ICS.

I've had pretty good results using Vegan-Tab 7.1. I keep looking at the different ROMs and thinking about trying different ones, but right now, my gTab works, and I use it just about every day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with radon__22, why are people never satisfied? Are these same people simply frustrated devs, sat there waiting to be spoon fed another rom for them to play with and pick holes in. If people are really that impatient, why not learn a whole lot more and actually participate instead.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guys,
I have been reading a lot around and everybody complain about the skype video doesn't work on many rom but let me say this... My G tab is running Stock rom 3588 and the latest skype on the android market (for honeycomb) the video is working.
I already use many times to talk to my brother (in Brazil) and it is flawless. The first time that you install, it does NOT work - force close, but go to settings, applications, manage applications and click force close and reboot the tablet. After rebooted, it will not FC.... you will be able to setup your account and then sign off. Go back to settings, applications, manage applications and now, clear data that you just entered and reboot the tablet again. When the tablet rebooted, the Skype will be working with video. That's how it works on mine and I only did these steps once and it has been working since.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Guys,
I have been reading a lot around and everybody complain about the skype video doesn't work on many rom but let me say this... My G tab is running Stock rom 3588 and the latest skype on the android market (for honeycomb) the video is working.
I already use many times to talk to my brother (in Brazil) and it is flawless. The first time that you install, it does NOT work - force close, but go to settings, applications, manage applications and click force close and reboot the tablet. After rebooted, it will not FC.... you will be able to setup your account and then sign off. Go back to settings, applications, manage applications and now, clear data that you just entered and reboot the tablet again. When the tablet rebooted, the Skype will be working with video. That's how it works on mine and I only did these steps once and it has been working since.
Skype video works with FroYo ROMs. It doesn't work with Gingerbread or Honeycomb ROMs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Viewsonic has deprecated the g Tablet. Expect nothing in the way of support from them (though that became pretty clear with the fiasco last year where they said one thing and NVIDIA said another). There is work occurring from developers who are doing their hardest to build a kernel from the ground up. Remember, these guys work in their spare time and do it for free. Let's be patient and show them support for doing what Viewsonic should've done themselves.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make no mistake, I appreciate all of the hard work the devs are doing. My frustration is with Viewsonic and their complete lack of support. The GTAB is the last Viewsonic product I will ever own.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make no mistake, I appreciate all of the hard work the devs are doing. My frustration is with Viewsonic and their complete lack of support. The GTAB is the last Viewsonic product I will ever own.
Maybe this is their last attempt, but it seem they have made a renewed effort. I was surprised to have a 2 part OTA upgrade today. First to 1.1-3588+ which was an interim, and then to 1.2.5699 on kernel 2.6.32.9-svn4979 [email protected] #2.

·
Registered
170 Posts
After loading ICS last night, I have to believe that the gtab is going to be around a little while longer.
I agree. I won't spend over $300 on a tablet no matter what it can do. Hoping the Gtab will stick around for awhile as I don't think the market will ever release a more flexible product. Hope there is still a bunch of Gtab's sitting in a wharehouse somewhere that will eventually liquidate them at a ridiculous price so I can pick up another. JMHO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts