Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,i got my ZT-180 a week before and i do not know if the Touchscreen just is very bad (admitedly its a $200 Euro device) or if my screen is defective...I am runnin 0827 Android 2.1 if that matters...If i apply only a little pressure the home screen is shaking 1 cm back and forth...If i apply more pressure and/or use my fingernail it gets better.When i try to press one of the icons in the dock (3 icons on the right) i have to press half a cm to the right, already on the frame.On the left side the same mispositioning to the left.When i start the DevTools --> Pointer location i can see the following:If i just barely touch the screen the pointer is totally erratic, producing lines approx. 5cm long that jump like mad.If i apply a bit of pressure the value "prs" that seems to measue stability is about 0.04.If i use hight pressure or just use the fingernail or a stylus i can get it down to 0.02.I can not fully reach the left or right border, the precision in the corners is a bit lower then in the middle...Is this an expected behaviour for such a low quality device or is mine defective ?If i do not think of applying high pressure it is not very usable, i can hardly select icons or menus.If i do apply presure it is close to beeing usable...Please let me know your experiences / measurements .Thank you for help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ender

·
Registered
17 Posts
My screen was perfect when I got it a few weeks ago, but recently it has become exactly as you describe. When folks were first getting their tablets quite a few people reported having this issue as well. To my knowledge no fix has been found yet other than to flash WinCE 6.0 on it. The screen works perfectly on that OS, but WinCE itself is so terrible I can't bring myself to use it after having used a fully working Android (even for just a few weeks). I'm now waiting for the next ROM and hoping it fixes the screen calibration. If you do find a solution be sure to let me know what you did to fix it. I'd definitely be grateful.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My recommendation was to flash WinCE to flush out all Android software and then flash back to the Android firmware of your choice where you weren't having issues.Also to flash WinCE to see if it is a hardware or software issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sadly flashing WinCE and back to Android didn't fix the screen issues. It definitely got my hopes up though when the screen worked perfectly in WinCE, but were quickly dashed on the first reboot after a fresh install of Android and the same buggy screen issues were there. Even an unusable Android is better than WinCE though. ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well there's hope then. At least it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi people !Okay, i flashed WinCE and the digitizer was MUCH improved.WinCE is close to unbearable though :)AND the WIN seemed to forget al my settings after reboot, as if i was working on a RAM disk ?!?!Flashing back Android 0827 screen was bad again.So either the WinCE guy has drivers that better serve our touchscreen (controller) or WinCE has a (trivial to write) filter that filters out jumps in coordinates and generally smoothes pointer position.So i hope its not the hardware...Thank you for your help !!!!!Ender

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is my screen it has always been like this though it has improved with the new rom but still on the screen ege it bounces around YouTube - Touchscreen zt 180 have the same problem as the rest will just have to wait. But even with this screen like this i still love this tablet and very happy with it especially now video playback works great

·
Registered
439 Posts
midician;54162 said:
My adio is scratchy like theres a lot of static- is this my hardware or is t he the firmware?
Doesn`t sound like you have a defective touchscreen. You already posted the same question in the correct thread, why hijack this one? When one hijacks threads it decreases the usefulness of the search function.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with the nearly unusable touchscreen.It worked rather well -- not perfect though-- when using 0818 firmware.With 0827 it was completely erratic and hard to use.I, for now, flashed back to the 0818 firmware! It still works reliable. (Well except for the improvements 0827 was bringing)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering.... is it possible to re-pack 0827 kernel with the touchscreen drivers from version 0818? I've an Eken M001 with the 1.7.4 sdk version but with the 1.9.1 screen drivers (It's easy just copy some files prior to update firmware)

·
Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter
6,629 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
One thing I did as a bandade on mine was to turn the number of home screens down to 1, and so at least when I'm working on the home screen like moving icons around and trying to drag things to trash, there is no more jitter when I hold down on the pad. I just use folders on the main home screen to store all my grouped icons in, so I don't really need, nor care about having more than one home screen.

·
Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter
6,629 Posts
Hmmm... I improved my touchscreen a bit, want to know how? I remembered that the touchscreen was very responsive when I first got my tablet (even though the 0714 rom it came with didn't do anything but pop up Force Close errors). I thought that the flashing to 0804 ROM screwed up the touchscreen, but now I am thinking it was when I removed the plastic covering that came with the tablet and put my own screen protector on - trying to get all the bubbles out. I just replaced the screen protector I was using (got pretty scratched up over the last 2 months, but looked fine when the tablet was on) and left the 2nd plastic cover (the side you are supposed to take off last after you've applied the sticky side down). Not sure if it was the static charge when I took off the old one, or the smoothness of the second cover that's improved the response (I also used the calibration tool again on the 1014 rom but it had no effect prior to replacing the screen protector). I've reduced the number of taps to excute something from 5-7 (with a stylus) down to 1-3 (with my finger - not my fingernail), it's not perfect, but a lot better. I'm guessing any issues I'm having are hardware related now (probably from the constant {and sometimes forceful} tapping when the touchscreen started to act up). Hope if someone else tries this, they report their findings here. It might not work for anyone else, but thought I'd share my findings....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.