Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
this has been asked a few times on a few different tablets, i think the simple answer is probably not.UBU and most linux distros are compiled for the x86 and compatable cpu'smost of the android tablets are running ARM'sThat being said I THOUGHT there was a distro designed for ARMS, Angstrom maybe?heres a few other links to check outARM LinuxMain Page - ARM Linux Internet PlatformDebian -- ARM Porti'd look at the debian one, since i believe thats what UBU is based on, but I'm and MDV'er so I could be wrong.personally if they could get puppy on one of these bad boys we'd be JAMMIN!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I though about this as well. However, there is no reason to do this because Ubuntu doesn't support it. So even if someone can get the distro to work, we have to build each of the software on it ourselves. This defeats the purpose of having a distro. Anyway, they ported it over to ARM at one point. However, there is no news from that project since 2008 so I think it is dead. Moblin is an alternative that I think is a better chance for success.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
[quote name='csbert;32159]I though about this as well. However' date=' there is no reason to do this because Ubuntu doesn't support it. So even if someone can get the distro to work, we have to build each of the software on it ourselves. This defeats the purpose of having a distro. Anyway, they ported it over to ARM at one point. However, there is no news from that project since 2008 so I think it is dead. Moblin is an alternative that I think is a better chance for success.[/QUOTE'] X yes they do, it also has a 7inch screen, but i dont know if its possible to get the touchscreen to work or how to mod it with a 10" screen

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don?t mean to be rude, but mindwave and csbert need to read before posting something that obviously don?t know about.Smartq V7/V5, for example, already have an ARM Ubuntu version working, including touch screen, an also there already ARM repositories, so you don?t need to recompile the software for yourselfe, maybe not all software were ported to ARM, but there are some, to the point that already exist repositories with ARM software, as I said.Read this for example:(this is not explainig nothing, but you can see there about ARM repositories, they are not "uncommon" this days)SmartQ MID Unofficial Board • View topic - which repositories should I have on V5SmartQ MID Unofficial Board • View topic - Launchpad repositoriesThere are even ARM netbooks already preinstaled with ubuntu ARM port comming to market.So, is it the same a x86 or x64 Ubuntu distro than the ARM one? NO. But you already have things to play with and more.Aside this, I don?t even know if it is possible to port Ubuntu to ZT-180 tablet but, beside a particularly incompatibility, it should work.Here you can see the release notes of LucydLynx Ubuntu and one topic is about release notes in the ARM versionhttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes

·
Registered
215 Posts
First, the samartq V7 has a telechips cpu, so there it works.I really don?t know that. Probably someone with more knowledge could answer that.But they are very "similar" cpu's, so i guess it will also work.The problem is maybe with A8 and A9 cortex but see here:"Ubuntu 10.7 Smartbook Edition coming for ARM!"YouTube - ‪Ubuntu 10.7 Smartbook Edition coming for ARM!‬‎Ubuntu arm port is also working.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
it also works on smartq7 - Samsung ARM S3C6410 667MHz processor and on smartq v5 ARM11 architecture processor 600MHz Support hardward 3D graphics acceleration, i have the smart q7 and v5 if anyone wants any firmware or info msg me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.