Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nokia n770 has a really useful modification that I hope some of the more experienced linux developers around here might be able to build for our device. It is called UnionFS and the jist is that it merges 2 file system locations to create a larger area. In the case of the nokia it uses the MMC Card (RSMMC) as expansion for the internal system area (where the applications are installed). Perhaps this can be built for the Novel and used to expand our /data area.Here is a link to the compiled n770 .deb page.mmc-unionfs for the Nokia 770Here is the wiki on the UnionFSUnionFS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
338 Posts
Came across you posting you about FS snapshots in TWO snapshots. Like it's working for you already, eh?Just kidding. If the hack with AutoFS, or UnionFS will prove succesful, what it may mean for us? Out of the top of my head, I can think of two improvements of flat bigger memory:1. Bigger video buffers, so clips, even the whole 700 MB movies get enough to eliminate stuttering, hiccups, lost frames, and A/V desync.2. More open tabs in the browser, larger pages full of photos/graphic easily and smoothly scrollable and zoomed in/out3. All other complex graphics, animations, etc gets buttery smooth.Or am I off completely?Then again, as I started my life here approx. 3 weeks ago, I asked what would be the difference if there bigger card of class 6 will be used. Now I'm itching to ask whether a 8 GB micro of class 10 could offer the desired effect?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking to enlarge /data for more app storage. But in reality it could also allow overlaying custom firmwares over top of oem firmwares or systems. Allow for updates without losing /data but updating and adding contents, a possible application of unionfs..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.