Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know the pad is cheap im waiting for mine to arrive ?82 i paid for it from a very nice man in hong kong so im reading all these post and theres dissapoinment at every corner is there someone out there that can tell me its the best buy they've had in a while and it works well

·
Registered
34 Posts
Paid 99$us for a gizmo that can do youtube in normal quality, get emails from my gmail account, basic facebook crap for my wife, read news or books.that's cheap and will do what it's intended for.if you need it to play video files for the kids, get the apad with the rockchip; price is 50$ higher than the Eken M001 but you will get the 720p videos. OR for 179$ you can get one with 1080p and HDMI output (any tablet with the Telechip TC8901 CPU)I stopped focusing on the OS type and version and started looking at the capabilities out of the box as I barely use any special apps but use the browser and the media player most of the time (based on my iphone and netbook usage)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chhers ill see how things go im wanting to do all of these and have it as a movie choice if were travelling anywere so fingers crossed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I love mine. I'll admit I'm a chronic fiddler, and I've had to re-flash twice because I've screwed things up. That's one of the two-edged features of any Linux-based OS. It has almost unlimited flexibility, but they tend to be easier to screw up than a locked down OS like Palm or Apple. Not much different than Windows vs. the Mac in that respect. At any rate, I get frustrated with things like trying to get the video player to work properly, or get the music player to stop playing without having to re-boot, but I am having an absolute ball in the mean time. I even figured out how to back out of some of the dumber changes I've tried without having to re-flash, so I'm getting better at keeping it at peak performance too.If your system plays the video and audio formats you want out of the box, you may want to leave it alone. If, however, you want to see some amazing performance improvements, I strongly recommend installing Willow's 1.2 ROM, rooting it, and setting up DroidSwap. It runs several times faster than the stock image, but I cannot guarantee that this is not the cause of some of my video and audio issues. When I first got mine though, I was very disappointed in the speed. Now I am very happy with the speed in almost every area. I think this device is well worth the $115 I paid (with shipping), though if I had to do it over again, I'd by the one sold in the US with the one year warrantee. Of course, that would prevent me from cracking open the case and soldering in more USB ports and stuff, so I'm still pretty happy where I'm at right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I for one am very happy with my unit.My prmaryreasons for wanting a tablet were a) portable wifi access and
an ebook reader.iTouch starts at $199 US and has a 3.5 inch screen.Ebook readers start at $125, have 5 - 7 inch screens and if they have wifi it's only to online bookstoresM001? $99 plus $14 for an SD card and I've got a 7 inch screen, browser, can get games and other utilities...Yes, it IS a little buggy. The primary reason (IMHO) being that it is using a cell phone os on a bigger screen tablet.But it DOES get me on the internet and it makes a dandy eReader.I suppose I've been lucky to avoid any of the hardware problems others have reported, and l frankly would LOVE a decent AVI viewer, but for people wanting a low end alternative, the Eken is fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm pretty happy with mine so far...I had a slow start with the wrong a/c adapter in the box..had to buy a universal a/c adapter..When I first used it it was really slow and had a lot of errors with websites and stuff...Icame here and downloaded ECOTOX_ModM001Firmware_v3.6.7.3.6 and installed that...now my m001 is running along quite nicely..Got a bunch of apps installed..most worked...some didn't or the device was too slow touse the app (mainly games)...Plays MP3's...3gp videos...Opera works great on it as well as the Dolphin browser....I mainly got this to replace my netbook...we use out netbooks mainly in the frontroom watching TV and wanna look up something on IMDB...or just check a quick e-mail.This device is perfect for that...Put in a 16gb SD card...so far so good...My main gripe now is not so much with the M001...but how hotspots are now requiringyou to authenticate or login or accept terms before it will let you on their network.They are assuming everyone and their brother is running Windos IE or Firefox...The redirect does not work on this so...I ca'n't use their wifi. I used to have this sameproblem with my Blackberry. I plan on helping here as often as I can..and maybe ask for help here and there..

G

·
Hey Smog,whats the story on this"using a iPhone 2G on a 10$ unlimited data plan."You certainly have piqued my interest :)

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Over all I'm happy with my m003. see http://www.mogrith.com for some of my blogging about it. But having problems and solving them is what I expected when I bought this thing. I've installed software to do development for it on my home PC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
[quote name='cheepoguy;9541]Hey Smog' date='whats the story on this"using a iPhone 2G on a 10$ unlimited data plan."You certainly have piqued my interest :)[/QUOTE']we all know the data plan for dumb phones are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than any smartphone plan.well, the first generation iphone can be spoofed with a dumb phone IMEI number then use the mobile web access (and even act as a wifi hotspot*for the netbook).In most countries, it is not legal to spoof the IMEI number and it's a long process to do it on an iphone. But now, to my provider filtering IMEIs, I have a cheapo nokia flip phone.I will not make a DIY article about it but google "IMEI spoof" and eventually you will find the way to do it

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a Wizard E200 from an ebay power seller. It arrived yesterday. It charged to about 25% capacity on the battery then wouldn't take a charge anymore and started discharging. I tried plugging it in to other outlets in my apartment, but no more charging would occur. I don't understand why the thing wouldn't just charge through USB.I tried playing with it a little before the battery ran down. It was a terrible experience. The thing was incredibly slow. The orientation sensor didn't work very well. I'm curious as whether I got a really crap unit or if this is typical. I see that there are some variations in the hardware configuration. My first impression is that the processor and RAM just aren't up to snuff for what it's trying to do, but maybe there's another unit out there that's better.I emailed the seller last night. I asked to just return it for a refund. Whether that goes well or not, I'll let the board know either way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Your charger probably broke. Is it 9V 1A? Then it broke. The unit needs 9V 1.5A or 2A - should not be hard to get replacement supply & that's cheaper then shipping the unit back. Oh, the "Wizard E200" is just an Eken M001, so you're at the right place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...and whilst I purchased 2 units (1 for a mate) and having trouble with one of them (my own fault I think); the other unit is meeting all my expectations and is proving to be a great entry into Android. Sure I'd like longer battery life and maybe it could be a little faster on some apps (but maybe that is poorly written software for some apps), but at the end of the day I have loaded all my Ebooks and found several good EBook Reader Apps (Aldiko, FBReader and IReader), I can surf the web and get my Email via my wireless network, take photos, listen to podcasts (although the sound quality is best with headphones), and I have managed to find equivalent, or the same apps, as I use for all my personal stuff on the Iphone.I'm sure that as the market matures and settles down I will buy a "Brand Name" Android tablet safe in the knowledge that they will have a good support network behind them.In the meantime, and with the advice available on this forum, I'm having fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts