Android Tablets Forum banner

Is 2A too much for 1.5A PDN?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  RavenCajun 
#1 ·
I found a 12V 2A auto charger at Radio Shack (the 270-052) with a plug that fits the PDN. Note that the PDN power supply is 12V 1.5A. The question I have for the hardware experts is whether the extra .5 amps is just available to the Novel, or whether it could fry it. Thanks

#3 ·
[quote name='NovelIdea;54699]I found a 12V 2A auto charger at Radio Shack (the 270-052) with a plug that fits the PDN. Note that the PDN power supply is 12V 1.5A. The question I have for the hardware experts is whether the extra .5 amps is just available to the Novel' date=' or whether it could fry it. Thanks[/QUOTE']Could you please post a pic of it, with the tip showing? How long is it, meaning: could it be used pushed through the hole in PDN's stand? How long is the cord? What was the price? Thank you.

#5 ·
[quote name='NovelIdea;54699]I found a 12V 2A auto charger at Radio Shack (the 270-052) with a plug that fits the PDN. Note that the PDN power supply is 12V 1.5A. The question I have for the hardware experts is whether the extra .5 amps is just available to the Novel' date=' or whether it could fry it. Thanks[/QUOTE'] You can think of electricity like water: voltage is like pound/sq in and amps like gallons per min. The power supply is a Max rating it can keep up with anything up to 2 so 1.5 is fine.

#6 ·
[quote name='tadroid;54716]See it [URL=http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3889594#]here[/URL].[/QUOTE]Thank you. Somehow' date=' I didn't think about [B']car[/B] charger. No, I don't need my PDN in a car until it has GPS and 3G mods, heh.OT: Some mods of PDN system fonts were added here: fineoils.blogspot.com . That is, if somebody with PDN does use it for reading ebooks still.

#9 ·
geebekazoo;54763 said:
Radio Shack also sells a plug-in charger which has accessory tips that will work with the PDN.
Do you know what tip # (igo) works with the pdn?

#10 ·
Sorry, but no I don't. The Energizer tip for the unit is NB05, but I don't know what the measurement specs for the tip are. I do know that Radio Shack in the US has the correct tips in stock, but I never took note of the part number or spec because I knew that I could just pop in to a store and get one whenever I needed one. I will try to get the specs for you.

#12 ·
That seems to be a "straight through" connection to a cigarette lighter/charging socket with no mention of a fuse or any other circuitry to protect the device from charging surges, and typically car charging systems can put out 14+ volts, so I would want to know how well the PDN "protects itself" from such surges before running directly off that adapter. I would feel safer using a decent inverter to run the AC adapter - less efficient maybe, but more layers of protection.

#13 ·
igo and enercell don't use the same tips. We should be on the lookout for a car charger for this thing either way... It needs to have a fuse in it, or we may have crying members.

#14 ·
I got one of these Wagan Tech smart AC converters for the car, using it I can plug anything into it using the regular 3 prong electric plug and not have to deal with the various size tips etc. Have used it for many different items. If you look for others there on amazon they make one that also has a usb slot on it and other options. Has definitely been worth the money.Amazon.com: WAGAN TECH Smart AC 150 Watt Power Inverter: Automotive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.